Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner September 2024 Middlesex

Postponing due to Groom having cancer treatment

Sallyann, 9 of January of 2024 at 14:44 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6
Hi
I'm actually mother of the groom.

My son has recently been diagnosed with cancer and the treatment and operation, even if it goes to plan, means he won't be fully recovered by the wedding date. His consultant has advised him to postpone the wedding.The wedding venue is currently saying they won't refund any of the £4750 I have already paid, which would be fine because they just want to push it back to 2025. But they are also saying potentially they would withhold all of their money and they would have to pay all of the deposit and other money we have paid again.Whether this is legally correct or not, surely, morally any decent person wouldn't do this!!!I won't name the venue yet but believe me it will be plastered everywhere if they don't budge.It isn't like they have had to pay out for anything, the wedding isn't until September

6 replies

Latest activity by Ramsey, 23 of January of 2024 at 10:39
  • L
    Rockstar July 2023 Greater Manchester
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    I’m sorry to hear about your son, it’s definitely a stressful time for the family. Hopefully he’ll have a speedy recovery and they can get married in 2025.

Have you checked the T’s & C’s of the wedding venue contract? Some venues may give you the money back if they can resell the date, or they may have a partial refund given how much notice is given for example.
    Also did you or the bride/groom arrange wedding insurance? Typically wedding insurance would cover this scenario is all.
  • S
    Beginner September 2024 Middlesex
    Sallyann ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    All the venurle have done is quote the t's and c's. There has been no 'I'm sorry to hear this'
    They were a couple of weeks short of 9 mths before the wedding and the contract says you lose all of your deposit.
    Unfortunately they didn't have wedding insurance.I think everyone is just shocked at how heartless they have been, regardless of what the contract says we just expected some compassion. They are not postponing out of choice. They had no option but to rebook, but believe me I will be on their case on the day if everything isn't perfect, and the day after they are going to be slated on social media.
  • L
    Rockstar July 2023 Greater Manchester
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s awful that they haven’t been able to muster a “I’m sorry” statement together. If you are happy to burn all bridges with them then a social media or Google review would likely elicit a response from them. If the couple still really want to get married there, maybe an in-person appointment to see what can be done about not losing all the money if the date is moved.
    I find it’s easier for corporations to be keyboard warriors, if you get in front of an actual manager in person, it’s often a different outcome.
  • T
    Curious May 2024 Buckinghamshire
    T S ·
    • Hide content
    Oh Sallyann - this is such an awful situation. My family has been touched by cancer too and I know how scary and shocking it can be, I hope you’re all keeping as well as can be under the circumstances.

I have to echo what Lisa said. It’s a shame that you guys didn’t have wedding insurance but given how far in advance you’re notifying the venue, AND that you’re trying to move it, not cancel, they’re being unreasonable. Is it a venue that’s local to you? It might be harder for them to continue playing hardball if they sit down with you in person to talk it through. The complete lack of empathy they’ve shown is shocking.
    Keep a thorough documentation of everything you’ve signed, and every email exchange. Can you escalate your complaint with the venue to their management? Perhaps you’ve got an entry level coordinator who’s had their empathy surgically removed…
    If all else fails and you want to name and shame, drop the deets on this forum. Warn all the hitched brides on here venue searching and planning, make sure they take a financial hit for treating you so poorly.
    All the best with your family and planning x
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry to hear this - it is really shocking. Even if they are covered by their terms and conditions, it doesn't excuse not even expressing sympathy for the situation.

I hope you are able to persuade them to reconsider - but if you do end up losing all the deposit, it might be worth considering booking somewhere else, as you won't be losing anything.

As PPs have said, once you've taken this as far as you can and either decided to cut your losses or the wedding takes place there, then please do leave accurate reviews wherever you can!

My sympathy to you all and best wishes for a speedy and full recovery for your son.

• Laurie
    Savvy May 2024 Lothian & Borders
    Laurie ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear this. What an awful situation, and the last thing you all need when dealing with a health crisis.

I would definitely check the terms and conditions of the contract, and get advice from citizen's advice or consumer rights watchdog. It doesn't sound right that you'd have to pay the entire deposit AND additional payments made already. I would have thought only the deposit would be lost unless it's the wedding is in 4-8 weeks time. They have time to get another booking to replace yours by September.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics