Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

SaSaSi
Beginner July 2012

Pot Belly Stove

SaSaSi, 22 October, 2012 at 12:03 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 5

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of turning a fireplace into a pot belly stove?

We are going to do some plastering & painting & wallpapering and as we have always said we would like a stove we figured we might as well add it into the mess!

What we are thinking is an inset one - I know our fireplace would need un-clipped etc but it would be less fuss & hopefully cheaper.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

5 replies

Latest activity by SaSaSi, 22 October, 2012 at 12:22
  • Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

I don't know what a pot belly stove is, but we put a wood burner into our fireplace, is that similar?

There was an old gas fire there before hand, so we had it removed, then the fireplace and hearth redone with fire-board and granite. We had the chimney lined and the stove fitted. I've got a picture on fb somewhere I'll have a hunt for it.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

same thing! Would you mind giving me a ball park figure of how much you paid?

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

This is it in action, best things we have done to the house yet. It is so warm, and cuts our heating bill so much.

Including the stove, fully lined chimney, granite hearth, fire board and re-plastering about 1300 quid I think. It was about 2 years ago so I can't really remember so this is only approx. Not sure if it's the same everywhere, but I know you have to make sure it's signed off by a hetas approved fitter in order for the local council here to be happy for you to have one. might be worth checking if there are any rules where you are.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I know my sister is looking as getting one and was asking my Dad last week as my parents got one about 3 years ago. Best thing ever! So useful and warm!

He mentioned something about the kilowatt output of the stoves. I think if it is above 5 kw you need a special vent to comply with building regs but whoever installs should know about this.

There was no real mess when my parents had their gas fire out and the stove/woodburner in. I think the one my sister is looking at is 1k. They are not cheap at all!

Also my parents did not go back like the pic above. It is sat a bit more forward but still on the original hearth. Looks fine too.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Yes JoJo, Ive seen yours! And Mrs Imp - yours looks like my parents, they had their sunroom designed around theres so everything slotted in nicely!

I would really like one, weve wedding £ still & I doubt we are going to move in the next 5 or so years and while we are doing a bit of wrecking Im thinking nows the time or it will be never.

The wall with our fireplace is just our alleyway so no problems with noise.

This is the sort of idea I am after:

Our fireplace is black & silver with wooden surround so I think a black inset would look grand.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics