Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Toastcat
Beginner April 2012

Potted herbs as centrepieces

Toastcat, 13 June, 2011 at 12:47 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi all

I've been trying to think about how we can keep costs down forour wedding, and I had one idea of having four or five pots of herbs on each table as centrepieces, rather than more expensive floral arrangements. I thought that would also be quite environmentally aware too, as we could ask people to take them home after the event, so they don't go to waste (there will be separate favours anyway, even if not all who want to take a pot of herbs home is able to!).

But what do people think? Do you think it would look good, or just a bit wierd? I'd put the herbs in nice pots, rather than just the plain ones... I honestly don't know, and haven't finally decided yet, so any honest opinions (good or bad!) would be welcome!

Thanks

Nina

8 replies

Latest activity by judeclarke, 13 June, 2011 at 13:40
  • Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

I think this would be lovely. It would also smell beautiful if you chose the right herbs!

I would love to have a potted arrangement in our venue, but it just doesn't work with the surroundings - the ceilings are too high and the room is far too big so I think we have to 'fill' it by going up and out if you see what I mean!

Have you thought about pots of hydrangeas, too? Big and beautiful flower with a huge choice of colour (I LOVE that really pale, watery blue colour you can get them in). If you put them in terracotta pots (only about £1.50 from garden centres, but much chic-er than anything too fussy) it would look fab I think

• alocin88
    Beginner
    alocin88 ·
    • Hide content

This is exactly what we are planning!!! So I think it is a fabulous idea!!

Ours are going to be something like this ...

• Toastcat
    Beginner April 2012
    Toastcat ·
    • Hide content

Wow Alocin, those look amazing! Currently I think you can buy potted herbs really cheaply from Aldi - although I can clearly just buy from seed and plant my own for greater choice. I love those metallic buckets - are you planning on going with those, or do you have other ideas in mind?

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I think it would be lovely! I love gardening though. Are you going to have lavender as well? Don't think it is a herb but I always think of it as one due to its fragrance :-)

• alocin88
    Beginner
    alocin88 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks - we are planning on sticking with the silver buckets with a co-ordinating ribbon in our colour scheme. You can get large favour buckets from ebay which I think will be big enough for what we want. Herbs from supermarkets or garden centres are only a few pounds each, but I have also found this website http://www.nicholsonsherbfarm.co.uk/fresh-herb-plants, so may order from them.

I did think about growing from seed, but my fingers are no so much green as slightly black so decided it would be safer to buy them ready grown!!

Good Luck

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They also do the metallic buckets in pastel shades of lemon, pink and green which are gorgeous for vintage type weddings.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love those, think it is a great idea, like a couple of the others said I think you could do with a potted flower or lavender to bring a bit of colour too, I love lavender for the smell so would probs go with that if it was me

• alocin88
    Beginner
    alocin88 ·
    • Hide content

Our colours are green and ivory ... so it will match the colour scheme without the need for potted flowers!!

However a potted flower is a good idea if you want to bring in other colours, or just use coloured ribbons to coordinate - I guess it depends what else you have going on the table too!!

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Those little galvanised buckets start at 80p at IKEA - plenty of others there too. You could have 'themed' groups of herbs - English garden, mediterranean cooking, a taste on the east etc and you don't have to restrict it to herbs either.

Great idea.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics