Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner

PPI Claims

Trickers, 17 of April of 2012 at 15:37 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 26

Has anyone here successfully claimed any money back? I'm being inundated daily with texts and calls about claiming PPI back and I'm wondering if it's worth looking into?

26 replies

Latest activity by looneysh, 20 of April of 2012 at 13:20
  • Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Same here, but i dont think i ever paid for insurance cover on any c/c's i had and not on my last loan. I wouldnt know where to start as i dont remember who i had them with all those years ago and would have destroyed all the paperwork.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

I know of a coupel fo people who have had success, I think Mini was one of them from here tho may be wrong...

i read up about it on the moneysavingexpert website, you need alot fo paper work to back a claim up!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Ive had 2 credit cards and one loan but they were done and dusted back in 2004. I remember who they were with but have no paperwork. I also have mortgage but have no idea whether I took out PPI with any of them.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

From some website or other:

• Were you led to believe the PPI was compulsory and it would enhance your chances of getting a loan?
    • Were you told if you didnt take out the PPI you would NOT get the loan?
    • Was the PPI added to your account without your knowledge?
    • Were you told the PPI was PART OF THE LOAN and you had to have it?
    • Did you increase or top up your loan, with the PPI added automatically?
    • Was your loan repaid before the end of its term but you never received a PPI refund?
    • Were you self employed, retired, on a temporary contract or on benefits at the time the Payment Protection Insurance was sold?
    • Were you pressured into buying the PPI?
    • Were you advised as to the true cost of the PPI?
    • Did you have alternative insurance which gave you adequate cover?
    • Would you receive full sick pay from your employer if you did become ill?
    • Were you told about all the exceptions and exclusions that would likely apply if you made a claim on the policy?

I have only ever had one loan (and no credit cards). I had payment protection insurance with it, I was taken through the details and fully consented to it. The only thing I now know is that I probably didn't need it - my job has great sick cover and redundancy packages, and I didn't realise that this made it largely unecessary. I wouldn't take it again. So, I suppose, if I really wanted to, I might be able to claim that they played on my naivety. But that's more my fault than theirs!

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

I was going to question this too. The companies that look after it for you can deal with the whole thing, you dont need paper work, just account numbers because the banks / credit card companies can provide the paper work.

I started the process with a company but when they sent me the forms to sign, they had taken all my information down wrong! That sort of thing annoys me because they clearly hadn't listened to me so I decided not to go ahead with it.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I got a call about a year ago from a company asking me if I'd had any loans. I'd had none (I have a couple of credit cards) but we're paying for our DFS sofa on a 4 year interest free thing. I asked them to send me the paperwork and I'd look over it. They sent me the stuff, by which time I'd dug out my agreement with DFS, which quite clearly showed no PPI, so when the company phoned back, I told them there was no PPI and I wouldn't need their services, thank you very much. They argued with me and told me that there must have been and when I told them there wasn't, they were adamant that I was wrong. I hung up and they phoned me back about 5 times a day for about a fortnight, until I eventually blocked their number off my phone!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

We still have PPI on our credit card as we took it when we signed up a couple of years ago. I'm convinced we shouldn't have been allowed to get it, because I wasn't working and H was on temporary contracts (which we stressed to the bank at the time but they insisted it was still worth it).

We don't use that credit card any more so have not bothered cancelling, and probably won't claim because it'll be a small sum of money and arguably it was our own naivety and 'softness' that led us into it (we should have put our foot/feet down and said we didn't want it).

Trickers I do think though that a lot of people have had success and I have heard from various sources that banks barely bother putting up a fight any more, because it's easier and cheaper for them to just pay you back the money you're claiming rather than pay for legalities etc.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I've wondered about this too. I'm pretty sure I've never had PPI myself but I know OH has however he has zero paperwork and no ability to follow through with this himself. (It's a good job he has me as Financial manager now!!!)

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I really think you should reconsider finding out Mrs J! It doesn't sound right they 'insisted' you get it under your circumstances. How do you know it will be a small amount? My friend claimed on a teeny tiny loan she had (relatively small compared to some I mean, I think her loan was 2k) and she got nearly a grand back!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ive got all of the stuff if you want it Tricks? Dont go through a company, they will fleece you for 30% at least.

I was going to PM you but I cant work out how to do it ? Drop us a line if you want any help/advice etc.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Cheers Mini that would be helpful. I'll message you tomorrow; my phone won't let me do it.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

My boss got 4.5k back on her ppi last week and i think she said the company took £700 as their fee- - took her about 2-3 months i think

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

yes got 4.8k back from lloyds and 560ish from abbey

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Oh and i did it myself just for the price of a few stamps

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

I got about £700 back from Tesco - they wrote to me & offered it I didn't ask them!

Had several loans over the years and sure I had PPI on them but don't have the paperwork anymore so can't claim unless they contact me like Tesco did.

I would be wary of the unsolicited text messages - received one today and I've deleted it. Could be a scam and they'll only take a cut of any payment.

Sure money saving expert would have the required template letters to make a claim.

Any interest paid is gross of tax so technically you should tell HMRC you've received the interest and pay them the tax on it - they have to get their grubby little mits on everything!

• C
    Beginner July 2012
    Chippers ·
    • Hide content

Trickers, do you feel you were mis sold the PPI ? This should be the main question, its not though.

This is the new 'whiplash', anyone who has ever taken this out will claim now as banks have been shafted and are paying out left right and centre.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My sister got £1200 back from a credit card company, she didn't have any paper work as she cut the card up 2 years ago. Not sure how she did it.

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

CookieKat did you just write to the banks or do you send them paperwork etc?

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

This is what I sent

My HOUSE
    MY ROAD
    MY TOWN

MY BANK ADDDRESS

12th August 2009

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Account / Policy number: XYZ

I have been looking at my agreement with you reference above and have noted that I purchased Payment Protection Insurance from you. I am still of the belief that I was mis-sold this policy due to being self employed when I took out the policy and this was made aware to your member of staff when the policy was sold and also when I complained about the policy and cancelled it. I have now read your terms and conditions and they state that I would not be able to claim due to my circumstances. I was also not given the correct information when this policy was sold to me because your agent stated that I would not get the credit associated with it unless I accepted the policy.

What I expect from you is justification that the policy was suitable for me based on my circumstances and an explanation as to how your suitability criteria works. If you cannot justify this to my satisfaction I request a full refund of all premiums paid to date as well as interest on these payments.
    As I believe I have been deprived of this money I also expect an interest element to be added to each sum, at a suitable rate and using a suitable calculation method, as a compensatory gesture.

In respect of cancellation of a policy may I draw your attention to the following reports from the FSA, namely, 'The sale of payment protection insurance - results of thematic work, November 2005' & 'The Sale of Payment Protection Insurance - results of follow-up thematic work, October 2006'' that state "When consumers cancel the PPI without repaying the loan, some firms will need to reissue the loan without the PPI. Firms should ensure they treat their customers fairly in relation to the terms on which they reissue the loan.". This means that any new loan is on the same or better terms and does not detriment me in any way and that this is to be done without making a new search on my credit file

I expect a swift response to this letter within 14 days, containing either your full justification or notice that you will be refunding these payments.

If I do not receive a satisfactory response I will issue another letter notifying you of my intention to take further action if the matter is not resolved within a further 14 days. After this limit has passed I will be either contacting the Financial Ombudsman to investigate my complaint or issuing court proceedings.

Yours faithfully

ME

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

My friend got £8k back but it took her a long time. Not sure what paperwork she had though.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

I had a full refund 3 weeks later

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

This was for my other one

CK'S House

21/07/09

CC ADDRESS

Account Number: XYZ

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to you to request that all interest and charges on my account be frozen. I recently lost my job and am now in financial hardship (please see attached Income and expenditure form).

When I took out the card I was sold PPI, I was however not told that it was not valid if I had not been in my job for 6 months. I believe that it was mis-sold to me and would like to request a stop to all future PPI payments and a full refund of all past PPI payments.

I would like to propose that for the next 6 months I make payments of £1 per month via standing order. I am sure that I will have a new job by then and will be able to start making full repayments again.

I would also request that you cease ALL phone calls; I have received several from you today and deem them as harassment. I will communicate via letter only.

Thank you for your understanding,

Regards

CK

• F
    Beginner May 2011
    FutureMrsC ·
    • Hide content

I did mine in February contacted the bank got put through to the PPI department took 5 minutes to answer some questions, 2 weeks ago I got a letter to say they had decided to offer me X amount signed sent it back the money has hit my account today!

Do it, it was easy simple and for the amount of my loan the % i got back was amazing! I am spending it wisely on a new horse! ?

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

I've emailed my bank. See how it goes!

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

If anyone needs any help with this please ask me. The companies that claim for you will take up to 30%. It is something you can easily do yourself! I helped my sister get 3k back.

Moneysavingexpert has a form you can fill in and post off. It really is very easy :-)

• looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content

I decided to write to all the companies I have had loans with in the past, 4 in total. As all the loans/credit cards are paid off I didn't have any information on my previous accounts. I have started off writing to them asking them to re send my documentation initially so that I can access if action should be taken. I've had 2 responses so far, one saying they will investigate (one of the big banks which have admitted and set aside money to cover people) the 2nd one sent me a really cheeky letter saying they weren't prepared to re issue documentation and it's up to me to prove it was mis-sold. and the other 2 I haven't heard from yet.....

I decided to try myself first as the companies that do it for you, take a big chunk, and if I'm entitled to a refund then it shouldn't matter if a company persues or I persue it. I would prefer to have all the money to me.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics