Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Prague or budapest - wwyd?

6 of April of 2014 at 19:55 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 12

H and I have decided to tie together seeing his dad in Warsaw and going on a mini break holiday. We would fly to Warsaw, have a few days of rest since flying will knock me for six, then drive in H's car to either Budapest or Prague, staying for around 3 nights. We would then drive back to Warsaw and have another 1-2 days of rest before flying home. But we are not sure which one to go to. We've never been to Budapest and neither of us have been to Prague on a couples holiday so it would probably be a different experience.

Pros of Budapest are:

- a city neither of us know anything about

- it is probably cheaper than prague

- several people on here have said it is the bee's knees

Cons are:

- it is a 8-9 hour drive across three borders

- neither of us speak Hungarian and it isn't similar enough for H to communicate in Polish. Would be we able to get by with English? Or Russian?!

Pros of Prague are:

- it is bloody gorgeous

- it is a shorter drive, 7 hours and only one border to cross

- H can get by with Polish in the Czech Republic as the languages are similar enough for big hand gestures and shouting loudly to work

Cons of Prague:

- it is probably a lot more expensive and maybe not as exciting as Budapest

So, which one would you do?

I'm just hoping that we can get some peace at his dad's house though I think it is unlikely, he still bullies H over the phone, so neither of us really want to go there without having something else to look forward to!

12 replies

Latest activity by Holey, 8 of April of 2014 at 20:22
  • Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

My sister went to Budapest a couple of years ago - in fact she cycled there from Salzburg, crazy girl! She managed ok with English and German. My SiL is Hungarian and she and her sisters speak excellent English, but her parents and most of the older generation learned Russian/German instead.

I know very little about both cities tbh, they're both on my "places to visit" list though!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Well I've already sung the praises of Budapest. I loved it. You definitely can get by not knowing any hungarian. We bought a guide book with a few phrases in. They love it if you give it a shot. II've never been to prague so don't know how expensive it is but I wouldn't say Budapest was cheap. It's not really expensive just not notably cheap like prague used to be iyswim.

I'm also sorry to hear your FIL is still being a tool.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I would go with Budapest. It is much more unspoilt in my opinion and lots to do. We got by with English when we went a couple of years ago. I can't comment on the relative cheapness as its a long time since l last went to Prague.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I know nothing about Budapest as I've never been but H and I loved Prague.

We went about 4.5 years ago and it was surprisingly cheap - most bars we went to were about £1 a pint. We found cheap accommodation and travelled around the city on their underground system easily enough. Neither of us spoke the language but we picked up a few phrases while there. We managed to get easily enough just speaking English.

• pelican beach
    Beginner January 2012
    pelican beach ·
    • Hide content

Ive been to both, as a tourist to Prague and on a course to Budapest. Both are very pretty. I did a bit of the touristy stuff in Budapest. I went in July and it was the hottest summer they had had for years it was 38 degrees so most of my memory was trying to escape the heat. We were ok with English most of the time but we did have the local course organiser with us most of the time.

• SallyLou
    Beginner August 2014
    SallyLou ·
    • Hide content

I've been to both - Prague was about 10 years ago though, but I've been to Budapest twice in the last 4 years (and would ideally like to go again for a weekend next year).

Both are lovely, I didn't have any trouble communicating in either - in Budapest they were really good with English (we learnt some phrases and gave them ago, the only issue we had was the taxi to the airport, but that was partly the airlines fault).

I will sing Budapest's praises until the cows come home, I wouldn't say it was overly cheap but that may just have been the places we visited. Lots of attractions are easily accessible, and the food is delicious.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Never been to Prague but got engaged in Budapest. We went for a week and still ran out of time for things to do, it's the most beautiful city I've ever been to. We didn't speak a word of Hungarian the whole time we were there and didn't have any problems.

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

If you can manage the longer journey Flora, I'd go to Budapest if I were you. I've never been myself but I'd always pick visiting somewhere new over somewhere I'd been before, even if it was in different circumstances.

That said, Prague is lovely and I'd definitely go there again, so I'm probably no help!

Sorry that your FIL is still being a nightmare...

For those who have been to Budapest, this might be a stupid question but is there much to see? We are hoping to book a similar trip for the end of May and keep changing our minds where to go. I've never been to Budapest but H has, although only on a stag do so he didn't actually see anything....

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

If the majority rules, go with Budapest! there's such good reviews about it on here - I'm already having a think about going there ?

• Forever Wedding Dance
    Rockstar September 2013
    Forever Wedding Dance ·
    • Hide content

I have probably waxed lyrical about this before but I went to both places on one holiday - I don't like to fly if I can help it so OH and I planned a 2 week tour by train and boat that went from London to Cologne, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, Prague and Amsterdam. It was the best holiday ever! (We haven't had our honeymoon yet...)

Anyway I know this won't help but both were amazing. Here's a few things we liked about each one:

Budapest: Beautiful scenery around the river, we went up the funincular railway to the castle and had amazing views for miles. Very friendly, lots of nice restaurants and bars. We took a phrase book and got by but everyone speaks English back to you when you try Hungarian anyway. The Spa pools - I am not usually a spa person but we had a day at the Szechenyi baths and it was one of the most blissful days ever. On a totally different note we went to the House of Terror on the site of the former secret police headquarters which was fascinating and chilling. I love their Metro system, it is awesome. There is also a musical fountain in one of the parks which has to be seen to be believed. They also have buffet restaurants which are not just all you can eat but also all you can drink, which is dangerous and hilarious! We also found a really cool kitsch pub with live singers which had a great atmosphere.

Prague: We did a walking tour as it was our first visit and learned a lot about the history. We also did a beer tour, taking us around some interesting places and learned more about all the different types of beer and its heritage. We went to the museum of Communism, which was really interesting too. Lots of nightlife of course and also just a nice place to people watch in a nice café.

Of course we were only in each place 2-3 days so there's lots more you can do. Having typed this, I think the one I am most nostalgic for is Budapest, just because it's so different. I just loved the vibe there.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I love Budapest and would definitely recommend it

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I hope you love it now we've bigged it up flora!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics