Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

warlycarly
Beginner September 2012

Pre wedding interview???

warlycarly, 19 October, 2011 at 10:58 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hello, I was looking on the site where I will be booking my wedding car from and it says "Registrars request a pre-interview before the ceremony of at least 10 minutes to see each parties. DON'T BE LATE." Has anyone else heard of this? And how did you get round it on the day?

18 replies

Latest activity by warlycarly, 19 October, 2011 at 16:04
  • N
    Beginner June 2012
    nicadele ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

Some registrars will meet with you before the day and do it but ours cant due to high numbers of weddings.

They are meeting me at my hotel room and my OH in the room where we get married before guests arrive so its normally longer than 10 mins before - Its just to go over what you had in your pre-wedding interview when you went to give notice but only lasts minutes!

HTH

• little miss stubborn
    little miss stubborn ·
    • Hide content

The interview isn't as bad as it seems. you and the groom have it seperetley. It's just to double check you are who you say you are, they need your job titles for the marriage certificate and they wanted to confirm the details of our witnesses (our dads)

i got married in a hotel so had the interview in a small room next to the room the ceremony was in. only took about 5 mins.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Yes, we had it. The registrars met with me in our ceremony room, as nicadele said just to chat over the details and confirm everything was ok, then we opened the room for guests to file in whilst my bride (now wife) was interviewed in a side room for the same sort of thing. It was less than ten minutes for each of us and really nothing to be at all worried about.

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

I'll be having mine in the bridal suite and OH will have his in a separate room just before I arrive. It's nothing to worry about, just a formality. When you give notice, they should explain it to you. All venues that hold civil ceremonies will be used to accomodating the meeting.

• warlycarly
    Beginner September 2012
    warlycarly ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, I have never heard of this and when I phoned the registry office thats dealing with my wedding, and they have never heard of this....? I have to phone up again tomorrow and there will be someone there who can tell me more. Which was why I thought i'd ask if there is anyone here that knew anything about it. If they do interview on the day, do I need to book my car 10 mins earlier?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For my part, the "interview" took about three minutes with the registrar when I arrived. Questions were: confirm full name, age in years on the day, confirm dad's name and occupation. Boy had a slightly more extensive interview (maybe 10 mins) as he went through witness names on top of the above. Not on the legal side, he had to have a chat with the ceremony lady to confirm names of readers, confirm where we were standing/sitting etc.

When I discovered I had to have this "interview", I rejigged my timings to make sure I arrived 10 mins before ceremony start. Didn't happen but I tried Smiley smile

It might not be *that* unusual for the person conducting your marriage ceremony to have not heard of this, as, for me at least, the interview was performed by the registrar, not the ceremony lady. Maybe it's someone else's job so she hasn't registered it as part of the process?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Warlycarly, this describes the process of "giving notice", which is done well in advance of your ceremony (we did this 11 months prior). This is different to the pre-ceremony chat/interview which I described (for my case) above.

• warlycarly
    Beginner September 2012
    warlycarly ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your help, x

• D
    Beginner
    darkivy ·
    • Hide content

It's nothing to worry about. When I arrived at my venue the registrar just met with me in a room outside the ceremony and went through basic details, name, age, fathers name etc, it only took a few minutes. Assume she had done the same to H before me, he got there earlier than me.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

The registrar will still need a word before the ceremony on the day, if only to confirm your identity. It's part of the legal process and the HAVE to do it.

We have a lot to discuss with ours, because we have a change or two to work round.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As Jude said, you might be meeting with your registrar a few weeks beforehand to iron out ceremony details, check names etc. But s/he will also have to meet you before the ceremony to check you're the right person (and that you are there willingly!), to show you the register where they will have, by then, filled in names of all involved to check for spellings etc.

I didn't discover the existence of this pre-ceremony part until maybe five weeks or so before, so you may not been informed of it yet.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

It really is nothing to sweat about. My registrar pitched it as a little pep talk, to get rid of nerves by concentrating on something other than falling on my face up the aisle Smiley smile

• warlycarly
    Beginner September 2012
    warlycarly ·
    • Hide content

I wasn't worrying (as such), just wandered if i need to book my car for a bit earlier. My wedding is at 4pm, and the venue is about 10 mins drive. so if i booked my car for 3.30 would that give me enough time? Do I have to do anything else when I get to the venue before I go in to get married?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Take a deep breath (or a slug of gin, if you prefer) and check your dress isn't tucked into your knickers Smiley smile

• Natalie2011
    Beginner September 2012
    Natalie2011 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

same for us!

• warlycarly
    Beginner September 2012
    warlycarly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you ? I hope I remember this.xx