Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner May 2012

Pre Wedding Interview?? Does anyone know what this is for? (civil ceremony)

KumariChang, 14 November, 2011 at 14:46 Posted on Planning 0 8

My fiance and I are having a civil ceremony in a manor house but when we got our wedding pack last week so that we could choose our vows it asked us whether we wanted to be interview together or seperately prior to the wedding ceremony. It said that this is a legal requirment but I've never heard of having to have an interview just before the ceremony?? Does anyone know what this is for?? I presume it can't take long as they only told us to arrive 15 minutes prior to when the ceremony is due to begin and that includes time to take a few photos and seat the guests.

8 replies

Latest activity by LoveSka, 14 November, 2011 at 21:56
  • ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Its standard practice! to go over the legal paperwork primiarily to make sure the data is correct

"On the day of your marriage ceremony the Bride and Groom will need to speak with the registrar in private immediately prior to the ceremony. At this point the information that is to be entered into the marriage register is legally checked. The Bride and Groom can be interviewed together or separately if they are not intending to see each other before the ceremony"

took me 5mins max and i was in my finery when it happened, we did ours seperately of course

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

We were interviewed separately. To be honest, calling it an interview is overstating it. I was asked to confirm my name, my address, my age on the day, my Dad's name, his occupation and the names of the witnesses. Her final question was "Are you ready then?". Boy had the same set of questions about half an hour before, mine were in the five mins before the ceremony.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Yes. Ours was a civil ceremony in a hotel and we had ours separately before the ceremony - although you can have them together if you aren't doing the "not seeing each other before the ceremony" traditional thing.

You have your 'giving notice' interview of course, all they really do is go through on the day these details, double check everything including the names of the people doing the readings etc, and make sure that it's not a sham/forced marriage or anything (ie giving you a chance to run if it's against your will).

They interviewed me in the ceremony room at 1.00pm, then at 1.10pm we bought the guests through into the ceremony room, the registrars then interviewed my wife in the other side room and then we were free to proceed with the ceremony at 1.30pm as planned.

It's nothing at all to worry about - it is a legal requirement and it does only take a few minutes.

• K
    Beginner May 2012
    KumariChang ·
    • Hide content

Oh ok so it's quite straight forward, I was getting worried that it might be for them to check that they hadn't lost any of our paperwork or something lol

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Nope, it's mostly just to check your identities again, to make sure they have the right names when they call people up for the invites. It's also another step in the fight against sham marriages which, of course, if you are doing everything properly you have nothing to be concerned about.

• A
    Beginner June 2012
    adiesummer2012 ·
    • Hide content

Is it the same for church weddings does anyone know? (RC)

• B
    Beginner April 2008
    BRIAN1986 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry i dont know

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, We didnt have any pre ceremony interview for our catholic church ceremony. Then again you tend to meet with the priest a few times prior to the wedding day to discuss readings and for rehearsals etc so he probably runs through all that then I cant really remember to be honest.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I think it's just for civil ceremonies. Basically it's just to check that they have all the right details, , , ,

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics