Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner September 2012

Pregnant bridesmaid

louisebride, 7 of July of 2012 at 18:56 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi all,

I am sure this is quite a common thing, but one of my bridesmaids recently told me she is pregnant. She'll be about 4 1/2 months at the wedding.

I have 4 girls and they were originally going to wear 2 different dresses in the same fabric/length and almost matching colours. One of these dresses is a shift-style dress which has good coverage over the bust, while the other is a 'v' neck with a flowy skirt - so if she were to wear either of these, I am guessing the shift dress would be better for boob coverage but the other one would be better for the tummy. She says she doesn't mind what she wears as long as she fits into it.

I'm happy to pay for alterations, but wondering if it would be better for her if I look for something different entirely in maternity shops - obviously this would mean there would be 3 different dresses but I don't mind as long as everyone's comfortable. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice/similar situations?

Edited to add my wedding is in mid-September.

17 replies

Latest activity by HappyBride16, 17 of May of 2016 at 01:18
  • Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

Is it her first pregnancy? At 4-5 months she possibly won't be showing much/be that big. I personally would go with the flowy one rather than something more fitted as it should accommodate her bump.

• pinkfrost
    Beginner June 2014
    pinkfrost ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on ur bridesmaids shape really. I'm quite wide & wasnt showing too much by 4 months, i Just looked like i'd had a big lunch! yet i know ppl who have shown at 9 weeks etc. Either way, her boobs & belly will swell at some point. what about a maxi dress style? they habg quite well on pregnant women xx

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Well having never been pregnant I don't know how big a bump would be showing at 4.5 months, but out of the two dresses you have, imagine the v neck with flowy type skirt would be better to help conceal a bump. It depends on the dress I guess, is there anything at all similar to your planned dress that she can get in a maternity/stretchy type material or dress instead?

• L
    Beginner September 2012
    louisebride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies ladies! Yes, it is her first pregnancy. I don't think she will be that big, but the other potential issue is that she doesn't want to look too 'booby' so she was originally going to go for the shift dress, but I agree the flowy one might be better for tummy growth - and I think we could get the flowy dress altered so it's more supportive.

I've had a look on maternity sites and there are definitely some options, though it's hard to tell the colour!

• AmiRobertson
    AmiRobertson ·
    • Hide content

I have a wedding in 2 weeks where the bride will be 7 months pregnant, when we did their engagement shoot 3 months ago she wasn't showing at all she just said that her boobs had gotten bigger. Bless her she has only really been able to choose her dress over the past couple of weeks.

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

I now have two pregnant bridesmaids, one will be 8 months on the day the other 5. We ordered there dresses back in January before both knew, the dress are quite fitted, but the wonderful bridal shop we have got them from order me extra material and will alter them to fit.

When I found out about the 1st one I tried to change her dress but they had already been cut so it would have meant buying another so the shop said they could sort it and ordered the material. They are not having there first fitting unilt 6 weeks before the wedding and then they will have another nearer the time just to make sure, the one thing I was gald of is that they all have corset backs so there is a little give and take there and they can let them out if they feel a bit restricted during the day.

Back to your post, I think it will depend on the dress that you have, if you can talk to a seamstress about getting it altered that way she knows it will fit properly. Get her to try both on and see what she thinks. At 4.5 months I had a bump but wasn't that big and it will depend if she carries the baby all upfront or more across (hope that makes sense!). Don't worry though it's amazing what a good seamstress can do!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Would it be possible to put a simple modesty panel in the 'V' of the more floaty dress?

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. Would it be possible to fit some sort of "modesty panel" to cover some boobage if she's a bit paranoid about it? Saves buying a whole new dress.

And can I add, I love your attitude about it. We've had brides on here who have even considered sacking their BM because they were pg, seriously!!!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Great minds Kharv!!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

??

• L
    Beginner September 2012
    louisebride ·
    • Hide content

Modesty panel is a greatidea, thanks! The only thing is it's just a store-bought dress (Debenhams), so presumably would have to source some extra fabric from somewhere?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

If you show it to a seamstress they will probably be able to advise.

Or just get some similar or contrasting lace and do it yourself.

Can you flash a pic of the dress? There are loads of crafty/fashion-y people on here, I'm, sure someone can help out.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you look on the Off Topic forum there was a brilliant thread last week where the lovely JoJo shared her innovative idea of using a pair of (freshly washed) lace knickers as a modesty panel ?

I am just over 4 months pregnant and I would definitely not fit into a fitted dress but a floaty dress that's fitted under the bust would be perfect. The modesty panel wouldn't have to be an exact match to the fabric on the dress so it should be easy enough to find something suitable, I think that would be the best option.

• I
    Beginner March 2013
    icklelea ·
    • Hide content

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My BMs had dresses from Debenhams and put modesty panels in as they were a bit too cleavagey even though none of them were pregnant. I think they just found vest tops in a complementary colour (the dresses were purple, the panels black) and sewed part of that into the V. A seamstress would be able to help you out fairly easily I think.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What Viking?

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HappyBride16 ·
    • Hide content

Hi all,

i have a similar situation and would really appreciate any advise.

I've just found out that my sister in law to be is 13 weeks pregnant and she will be about 22 weeks on the day of our wedding. Our wedding is only 9 weeks away and all the bridesmaid dresses have been bought, footed and altered. My fiancé and I have paid for all the dresses and alternations. I feel as though I'm going to sound selfish but the bridesmaid dresses is one of those things o thought I had ticked off the list!

I feel happy for her and her bf of a few months, as this wasn't planned! But at the dam time I feel shocked and confused about what I should do! She still wants to be bridesmaid but we both the the dress won't fit her as it was already too tight at the dress fitting 3 weeks ago. She knew she was pregnant and said to me she needed to loose weight. I can help but feel disappointed that she let me go along with cutting off the tags and getting her dress altered when she knew all along the dress wouldn't fit her. I was kind of hoping she would offer to back down and leave me best friends to be bridesmaids together so we didn't have to stress about anothe dress. She already said she can't afford to buy another one which puts us in an awkward situations as we've already shelled out so much money and don't think we can either. Shes really upset with me that I even suggested for her to do something else at the wedding and has since said she wouldn't come if she wasn't to be s bridesmaid.

Please help me!

Clare xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics