Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner July 2011

Pregnant, do i move my wedding?????

BREALS, 23 of August of 2010 at 13:09 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi everyone

Just found out im 4 weeks now im not sure if we move the wedding or not. we have booked the venue, phographer,cars,church already months ago.

This was a shock a great shock but still lol

how do you think the venue etc will react as we have paid deposites?

Thanks for any advise

xxxxxxx

10 replies

Latest activity by SoontobeMrsSSmith, 24 of August of 2010 at 12:51
  • K
    Beginner May 2011
    kaz9274 ·
    • Hide content

Congratlations!!

When are you thinking of changing it too? Do u want to marry before baby?

I think you will be fine, you will have a couple of months after baby arrives plus you have the important things booked.

some advice We looked at our contract and if we wanted to change the date its almost like cancelling and you get charged a percentage of the whole cost which now it would be with 9 months to go its 40% so maybe best look into this!!

Do what's right for you both, Take Care x

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

By my calculations you have time for a 9 month pregnancy (8 to go) before your wedding - your baby should be about 3 months old by then. So you don't need to move the wedding to avoid being a pregnant bride, just consider that dress shopping is going to be a bit difficult.

So the questions to consider are simple - do you desperately want to get married before the baby arrives, or do you want to delay it until you get your waistline back/the baby is older? Will you be able to negotiate with the venue to move the date or will you lose your deposit? You'd do well to check any formal paperwork and cancellation policy on that one? Will your finances stand up to a new arrival and a wedding in quick succession?

If I was in your situation I would delay the wedding by a year and give yourselves a chance to enjoy being new parents - a lot of venues would be sympathetic and allow you to change date if they think they can re-book, and with 11 months to go that shouldn't be too difficult. I suppose the other option would be to bring it forward and make the most of the glowing skin you get in the 2nd trimester - then you can get on and plan for the baby.

Good luck though - with pregnancy and wedding alike!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Firstly, congratulations!!

Secondly, it depends why you're thinking of moving the wedding. If you're having an absolutely huge complex formal do, then planning it in late pregnancy and early parenthood may be a bit much for you, so delaying would be a good idea. If it's quite an intimate gathering or you've already got a lot of stuff done and a lot of money invested in that date, then you should probably stick with the date you have. Remember that changing the date may mean losing your deposits, depending on how sympathetic the venue are, plus you'll have to pay the £33.50 each to give your notice of intention to marry to the registrar again. That in itself could be more of a headache than it's worth!

In terms of dresses - there are loads of styles that would draw attention away from your tummy area if you're worried about your post-pregnancy body (and I have to warn you, my youngest daughter is nearly 20 months and I haven't been able to shift the weight yet!).

• nicam
    Beginner September 2011
    nicam ·
    • Hide content

I am in the same situation- just found out last night(eek) - shock but good shock too Smiley smile - im roughly 4 weeks as well. Although i have only provisionally booked the venue (Sept 2011) and have to pay my deposit by next week so it wouldnt be as such a financial loss as yourself. Sneakily bought Save the Date Magnets lol. My brain is whirring - cancel or delay? if i go ahead when do i go dress shopping - if after birth will that be enough time to lose weight? will there be enough time for a shop to order in my dress....so many questions.......... Its making me dizzy!!!

• catarina
    Beginner
    catarina ·
    • Hide content

It totally depends on how you feel (the first few months can be hard going) how baby is doing, whether or not you decide to breastfeed, etc, etc. So many unknowns. And that's before you start considering dress fittings and actual wedding 'stuff'. Going on my own experience, I think I'd put it back a year, or try and rush it forward and do it asap. With my first baby, I would have been in no fit state to get married and enjoy it, I know I wouldn't. With the second it was easier, but she was fully BFed and that would have been a nightmare for feeding and looking after her and colic etc meant screaming and horribleness most evenings. Not what you'd want to be dealing with on your wedding night. Mmm. It's a tough one!

Why don't you pop over to BT and see if anyone else has been in your position? You will get lots of advice over there ?

• woo-woo
    Beginner
    woo-woo ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

Firstly congratulations, you must still be reeling.

I found myself in a similar situation in May this year, we had our big wedding booked for late 2011 and had paid deposits and had suppliers booked.

We already have two children so we were armed with the knowledge of life with a newborn and just being a guest at a wedding was a very stressful affair nevermind being the main players on the day. We decided we would rather bring the wedding forward and we are now getting married in just over three weeks when I will be 24 weeks pregnant.

I won't lie to you I have found the mixture of wedding stress and pregnancy hormones awful but we have got through it and are on the home straight now. Dress shopping for a bump has also been challenging but we got there in the end.

With regards to venue and suppliers, we lost the deposit on the venue as we had to downsize the guest numbers from 100 to 25 and our venue had a minimum numbers rule but all our other suppliers have been able to accomodate us no problems and moved the date for us.

We wanted to bring the date forward as we have been together 10 years and I felt if we cancelled or postponed the wedding it would be a VERY long time til we felt ready to book it again, our children are 8 and 4 and this was us just getting on our feet so to speak.

My advice as a mother and a bride to be is either do it asap while you are pregnant or postpone it for a few years, a baby turns your world upside down and it's amazing how your priorities and your overall outlook on life and what's important changes.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do and hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy.

x

• taylor-made
    Beginner September 2010
    taylor-made ·
    • Hide content

After finding out that i will be 21 weeks pregnant when we get married it was never even an option not to get married, and now with 5 weeks to go till the wedding im very glad i have a corset dress as my little bean is growing and creating a bump so god knows what it will be like in 5 weeks time,

all these things happen for a reason, congratulations and i hope your ok, morning sickness is the devil, lol

who knew there where so many weird symptons lol

enjoy it all it took me a while to get over the shock but now im loving planning the wedding and having the excitement of the baby, 4 days before the wedding we get to find out the sex hopefully.

have a great time

lara x

• A
    Atlantic Soul Showband ·
    • Hide content

We've had a couple of our brides move their wedding date after becoming pregnant. We had no problem with this personally and if their new date was available, we just moved it over. You may have more bother with your venue I would imagine and, depending on when you move it to, the dress. But speak to your suppliers. Most times I would say they'll be accommodating as they would rather have the booking re-arranged than cancelled.

Good luck!

• Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!

Not been in this situation. But like others have said, you have 2 options, bring it forward, or postpone it for a bit. Would an extra 12 months make a difference?

x

• B
    Beginner July 2011
    BREALS ·
    • Hide content

Wow decisions decisions ey??

i dont know what to do....i need to speak to my venue i think.

thanks for all your advice and it nice to hear im not on my own, Congrats to the other in same situation. obviously the baby is my priority now so maybe the wedding could wait?

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!

Secondly, as long as your wedding will not be when you are are about to give birth or very shortly after with a tiny baby, then personally I wouldn't change.

The only downside is maybe that if its beforehand you won't be able to drink?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics