Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Pregnant - Would You Postpone?

25 of January of 2012 at 15:05 Posted on Planning 0 17

Not planned at all and a complete shock considering previous circumstances (we have 2 year old twins through IVF).

Only found out yesterday and guess I am around 5.5 weeks which will make me 19 weeks on wedding day.

I am supposed to have my dress sizing next week (being made from scratch) which I have paid 50% deposit towards (I still want the dress but don't imagine it on a pregnant bride).

Have paid a band deposit which we would lose unless they are rebooked and a photographer but think she may be quite flexible if we use her at a later date. The finished invitations arrived yesterday. Have bought bridesmaid dresses (which could be used at a later date or returned for refund)

Really don't know what to do. The extra stress of being pregnant on my wedding day fills me with dread.

Obviously it is early days so no telling how things will go with the pregnancy but the venue are looking into options for us if we decide we want to postpone.

What would you do? Any advice appreciated.

17 replies

Latest activity by Faruk, 23 of December of 2021 at 18:15
  • Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't postpone, but then have never been pregnant so perhaps not the best judge.

Would it be possible to bring it forward at all?

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! And extra congratulations considering it was natural!

I wouldn't postpone it. At 19 weeks you'll be at the small but visible bump and radiant stage. Not sick like the first few weeks, or waddling like the last few. Did you have a good pregnancy last time round? If yes, I would say be a pregnant bride!

The ony thing a pregnancy chages is your dress, and not drinking (and maybe the menu if it contains shellfish and blue cheese), which in the grand scheme of a wedding day and what the wedding means, isn't that much. You will still have a fabulous day, as will your guests. And you will have an extra little person in all the pictures :-)

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

Firstly congratulations! My friend also conceived naturally after IVF twins - a shock but a blessing all at the same time!

You are no doubt feeling very overwhelmed at the moment so probably best to come to terms with the pregnany before making any rash decision about the wedding. The decision is entirely yours but I'd be inclined to stick with your plans. Remember a wedding doesn't have to be stressful - it is what you make it!

All the best!

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Firstly you have to look at this as amazing news. Secondly I dont think you need to panic, it sounds as though most things are in place. I personally have never been pregnant, but I think if I was in your situtation I would still get married when plannned, if not sooner ?

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations.

i dont know what i'd do to be honest.

i think as a lot of things are in place it wouldn't be ideal to postpone - especially not finacially which im sure will is obviously a big thing at any time never mind when you're having a baby and that could add more stress to your self.

i would say go for it.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

If it was me, today, then yes, I'd postpone as I'd be over 6 months pregnant and couldn't fly out for my wedding!

If I were you, I probably wouldn't. Can the style of your dress be altered so as to accommodate your bump?

Ultimately, it's a decision only you can make I'm afraid.

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Big big congratulations! Heartwarming to hear such lovely news for a change!!

I'm not sure what I would do but imagine how happy you will feel surrounded by your family and your new husband with your lovely twins and a new baby growing away inside ? Sounds like a magical day!! I'd say decide how happy you'd feel in your dress or about changing your dress, and how happy you'd be about waiting.

Its not just about the practicalities of it though, its about how you fell. Maybe flip a coin and when its in the air you'll know what side you want it to land on ?

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't have liked to have been pregnant on my wedding day but I'm saying that from the point of view babies for us then wouldn't have been good timing for multiple reasons. At just 19 weeks and since it's fantastic news that it's happened naturally I think I would go ahead with the wedding. Usually I'd would say no and postpone it but 19 weeks isn't going to mean you are waddling down the aisle or really tired and uncomfortable all day. You might not even be showing then, a lot of my friends certainly weren't. Congratulations xx

• Mrs Whippy
    Beginner September 2012
    Mrs Whippy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Absolutely what she said, which also brought a tear to my eye!

Congratulations and I hope you make the decision that's right for you.

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

Its a very personal decision that only you can make but thought I'd share a pic of my friend on her wedding day. Wedding was august and baby was born in december so possibly about the same as you will be, maybe a bit less.

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

CongratulatiOns! I wouldn't postpone, in fact I would rather do it pregnant than potentially not long after having had the baby or putting it off for a long time until he/she is older. 19 weeks is a good stage, you will be rid of morning sickness (hopefully!) and won't have a huge bump, your dress could probably be altered to fit around a little belly. We weren't sure what to do about ttc as we wanted to start trying now but with the wedding we have put it off, mainly because I didn't want to be suffering with sickness (I had it really bad last time) and I look dog rough when pregnant, all the way through - no glow here! Good luck x

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!

Personally I wouldn't want to be pregnant on our wedding day which is why we are waiting till afterwards to ttc, however it's impossible for me to predict what I would do if we accidentally got pregnant. My major concern would be less about practicalities of dress etc and more about what would I do if there was a problem with the pregnancy, either a few weeks before or afterwards. Not to sound negative though. I just think a while back when this subject came up before someone had a friend who'd been pregnant on their wedding day and then lost the baby afterwards and now can't bear to look at the pictures from the day.

Entirely a personal decision for you and your OH.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I'm together with everyone else- congratulations!! It's wonderful news! I wouldn't postpone, as it's only about halfway through the pregnancy. If you're having the dress made from scratch, I'm sure you can arrange to have it slightly larger around the expected future bump, and then altered last minute! You could even tweak the design if it doesn't suit a small baby bump.

I would expect that postponing would be worse, as you'll be tired and still have a bump, maybe even bigger than the bump at 19 weeks! Or would you postpone it a year or more? I don't know, everyone is different, but I wouldn't postpone.

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content
  • Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! Fab news!

I'll be honest I wouldnt have wanted to be pregnant on my wedding day, mainly for the reasons that you have said above. You only get to do it once so its nice to be able to join in with everyone and fully enjoy the party without having to worry. As you say have a little think, postponing it wouldnt be the end of the world and you would have an extra little person to attend when you do have it!

• Big Apple
    Beginner February 2013
    Big Apple ·
    • Hide content

CONGRATULATIONS ?

Nothing more to add but that!

Beginner
    28/07/12bride ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I wouldn't postpone as you will only be 19 weeks, is this ur first baby? I wouldn't imagine you will be showing very much at all.

I was about 17 weeks pg with DD and didn't show at all, no one would have even known lol!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics