Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2016

Pre-loved, Vera Wang!

LiverpoolB2B, 6 of March of 2014 at 18:28 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hi ladies!

I'm having such a dress dilemma & I've never even tried on a dress! (Yet!)

I've always had 'the dress' pictured in my head & I've always loved Vera Wang's designs. So I 'stumbled' across her Gemma dress & I love it. Problem is I cannot stretch to the retail price of £6500! Not in a million years. But I've seen a few on pre-loved, and I've seen one that is march for my measurements & height and is only an hour away! Problem is it's still £3000 but I'm hoping I could negotiate that a little bit.

Really im in looking for advice, has anyone bought from pre loved before? Is there anything I should be specifically looking for? Would you even consider buying a pre loved dress?

Im im just not sure how my mum would feel doing it this way, but I've always been a strong decision maker & deep down I just Love this dress! Even then I might try it on and hate it anyway but I don't want to travel all the way to London to try on dresses I know I can't afford! Smiley sad

15 replies

Latest activity by meandmrjones2014, 7 of March of 2014 at 13:17
  • PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

If you love it go for it... By personally spend that much on a second hand dress! When that could but be something brand new albeit by a different designer.

£3000 is a lot of money to spend on a dress.

why don't you go try it on? You may feel differently once you see yourself in it!

Have you tried looking up other designers with similar style dresses?

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

A few of my brides have bought off preloved without a problem. Tried them on beforehand too!

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't think twice about buying a second hand dress and think it's a great way of getting a designer gown. I looked at a few Temperley dresses on Preloved as I just love her designs but in the end even the second hand prices were out of my budget. Go and try it on, what have you got to lose?

• J
    Beginner May 2015
    Jayla ·
    • Hide content

I would like to get mine from preloved if possible.

my only advice would be to try it on first. I had a very specific idea of what I wanted and when I tried it on it looked AWFUL and I'll be going for something completely different.

• J
    Beginner May 2015
    Jayla ·
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness - just googled - it's stunning!

• L
    Beginner June 2016
    LiverpoolB2B ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies!

I I know it's still a huge amount of money but I'm hoping there would be a bit of room to go down from £3000 if I loved it enough. I've never tried it on so it might look awful but you know when you have it your head that this is the 'one'! I feel like this might be my only opportunity to have a glimpse at hopefully getting hold of it! I'm willing to forego the fancy shoes I had my eye on & eat beans on toast until my wedding if it means I get the dream dress!

I'm so glad some of you have considered preloved too! Foo have you looked on the outnet? They have temperley dress sometimes at 60-70% off! In fact only today I saw a beaded bridal temperley dress on the outnet for £965 from over £2000!

• J
    Beginner May 2015
    Jayla ·
    • Hide content

Http://m.preloved.co.uk/m/showadvert/109503133/vera-wang-gemma-hire.html

Could you hire it?

• NYCBride
    Beginner September 2014
    NYCBride ·
    • Hide content

I bought my dress from Preloved. I'd found a dress I loved online and I knew it was a style / shape that I would feel comfortable in. It would have cost me £1200 new but I was only looking to spend about £700. I ended up searching online for months until one came up in my size and the right colour (Its not a traditional white/ivory dress}. The girl selling it was absolutely lovely and I went to her house to try it on before committing to buying it. I got it for just under half price and I'm planning on selling it on myself if its in a good condition after my wedding.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

There is nothing wrong with a pre-loved dress if it;s in good order and is the right dress for you. £3k is still a lot and while it's a lovely dress, there are other designers that do very similar so if it's still to expensive, do have a good look around. Ian Stuart dresses are similar.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

My dress is second-hand and I love it, although it didn't cost anywhere near £3000! I would definitely go and try it on, take someone with you just as you would if you were going to a bridal shop and see how you feel in it. Then you'll know and know whether it is worth the money x

• S
    Beginner April 2014
    sophiesofa ·
    • Hide content

I got my jenny packham dress off pre-loved. No way I could have afforded it new! Stop thinking about it and just arrange to try it on. An hour isn't far - my commute to work is quite a lot longer than that so just do it and find our if you like it or not.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I would echo what others have said and suggest you try it on first. At least then you know for certain it's the one for you, then you can think seriously about buying second hand. I personally would have no reservations buying second hand, though there is of course always an element of risk involved.

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes looked on the Outnet and saw some fab bargains, also went to the outlet in Bicester and aaaaallllllllmost bought one from ebay for £700, but in the end decided to go completely the other way and got my dress for £75 in the Monsoon sale! I would definitely buy a Temperley if I had an unlimited budget but we are trying to keep costs down so are spending the dress money on booze. ?

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I love that dress.... You HAVE to try it on!!!

• L
    Beginner June 2016
    LiverpoolB2B ·
    • Hide content

I think I might have to at least try it on! Then I'll at least know if I like it or not!

• meandmrjones2014
    Beginner March 2014
    meandmrjones2014 ·
    • Hide content

Paloma blanca have some slightly similar....

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics