Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner October 2011

Presents for witnesses

bingowings, 28 August, 2011 at 21:22 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi

Should witnesses (at a reg office) receive thank you presents? I have organised everything myself (inc hen do) so I've got nothing to thank them for - only kidding, they have been supportive. I havent bought their outfits, jewellery etc. Am I doing the right thing?

I dont want to come across as being mean.

Thanks Smiley smile

7 replies

Latest activity by Missus S, 29 August, 2011 at 15:28
  • Bowski
    Bowski ·
    • Hide content

If it helps Mr B was a witness a couple of years ago and didn't get a thank you present or even a thank you.

I might give mine a card but thats it.

• SoontobeMrsB
    Beginner October 2011
    SoontobeMrsB ·
    • Hide content

You wouldn't be expected to buy witnesses their outfits or jewellery etc. It would be the bridesmaids & groomsmen/ushers that you'd do that for (if you decided to pay for them). Or are your witnesses your bridemaid/best man?

I think we'll just get ours a nice box of chocolates or bottle of wine. We're already getting thank you presents for bridesmaids, ushers, best man, parents.

• B
    Beginner October 2011
    bingowings ·
    • Hide content

Hi SoontobeMrsB

I think you've confused me. Sorry for sounding dumb, as we are having a reg office we can only have witnesses. So in effect, my two female witnesses would be like my bridesmaids and H2B's witness is like his best man.

• Bowski
    Bowski ·
    • Hide content

You only need 2 witnesses.

Just because it's a registry office doesn't mean you can't have bridesmaids if you want them.

• SoontobeMrsB
    Beginner October 2011
    SoontobeMrsB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry for any confusion. What I meant was: my bridesmaids will be wearing matching dresses that we've chosen together and walking down the aisle behind me carrying flowers. They've planned my hen do and have been really supportive and helpful during planning. H2B's best man will be wearing a matching suit and standing at the front with him. Our "witnesses" will be sat with all of the other guests but when it's time for us to sign the register, they'll come and sign it with us.

We'll be buying our bridesmaids and best man thank you gifts. We'll probably get our "witnesses" a small token gift as they really have a much lesser role.

Hope that helps to explain how I preceive the roles in our wedding. As the above posted replied, you can have have more than 2 witnesses attend your wedding. You can have as many guests as the room will hold or is licenced for.

It's really up to you as to whether you get your witnesses anything. It would depend on what your wedding's like, budget, how much they've done to help you etc.

• B
    Beginner October 2011
    bingowings ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the clarification SoontobeMrsB. I think I'll get the witnesses a token something.

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

We too are doing registry office but i do have 5 bridesmaids and 5 groomsmen 4 of each under the age of 4 but our 2 very close friends as witnesses i will be treating them the same as bridesmaids/ groomsmen and getting them a gift just because they are who they are and have helped so much throughout this process i dont think it needs to be expensive they would prob be happy with a thank you x

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Dont think you have to really, its not like theyv organised anything with you, as a bridesmaid or best man would. I wouldnt expect owt anyway.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics