Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner March 2022 Nottinghamshire

Pressure for dad to walk me down the isle

Jen, 2 of February of 2022 at 09:17 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 5
Hiya
So my relationship with my dad has always been strained. He has an alcohol problem and can be really difficult and childish. Some of the things he said and did when I was growing up I've found unforgivable. There was a period in my twenties when we didn't speak after I caught him telling my mum awful, and untrue, things about me. Things are much better between us now, but he still has this nack for making everything about himself. I've been through therapy a few times trying to resolve issues around it.

I don't want anyone to walk me down the isle. The whole thing gives me the absolute ick, regardless of my relationship with my dad. I've told my mum and dad this, and agreed that my dad can walk me to the church door, but no further.
This has apparently caused such a lot of drama at home. My dad has been saying it's a public humiliation, and acting like I'm using the wedding to punish him. He didn't go to the suit fittings, because he'd worked himself up so much that he had a migraine. Mum's been putting pressure on me to let him do it because his behaviour has gotten so much better very recently - which it seems they have. I'd probably be willing to set aside my feelings and let him do it if it wasn't for how things have been in the past.
I'm on the edge of just giving in because I'm worried he's going to cause a scene or make himself conspicuously absent on the day. It's really upsetting me, and the whole thought of him walking me down the isle makes me feel so uncomfortable but I can just see him making it incredibly difficult if I don't let him.

5 replies

Latest activity by Jess, 7 of February of 2022 at 16:15
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    You have to stick to your guns and donwaht you want. I would say don't have him walk to the door as it may look a little odd if he then has to walk past everyone to sit down, so maybe kust let him go in with your mum. Or what of you had both of them do it? Reading your post thoughigh I think that will be a no.

At the end of the day your dad is an adult, he and your Mum need to respect your choice, deep down I suspect he knows why you don't want him and is embarrassed and doesn't want it shown in front of others, bit that is his issue to deal with as his behaviour created the situation. It is your wedding and you should not be upset by others demands, tell them how much it had upset you and politely ask they respect your choices and it is not up for further discussion. I hope you can sort it x
  • Rachel
    Dedicated June 2023 Greater Manchester
    Rachel ·
    • Hide content
    Totally on the same page as you!
    Do what you want to do it’s your big day not his .. it’s because he probs wants to ‘show’ everybody how much of a ‘great dad’ he is .. your close people know you and know that your doing what is right for you
    If he doesn’t come it’s his loss he’s made his bed as they say…Always here if you need anything💕
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You're being very gracious in letting him walk you to the church door. LOADS of brides are choosing to walk down the aisle on their own, with their fiance or with someone other than their dad, even if they have a brilliant relationship with their father. His claim that he's being publically humiliated is ridiculous - the only humiliating thing about this is his own behaviour - he's acting like a spoiled toddler throwing a tantrum.

Stick to your guns. If he's not happy with walking you to the door, then he can just turn up earlier and sit in the congregation like any other guest.

• H
    Dedicated May 2022
    HappyGoldBridesmaid18836 ·
    • Hide content
    Completely agree with the previous comments. It’s his behaviour which has caused this situation and it is his own fault. Nothing for you to stress over.
    Stick to your guns and ask your parents to respect your decision. If he’s worried about being humiliated then he could take a seat with your mum before you arrive, then he’s not having to walk down the aisle on His own in front of lots of people.
  • Jess
    Dedicated October 2022 Worcestershire
    Jess ·
    • Hide content

Totally agree with everyone else. Despite the fact that people are saying his behaviour has changed, it still sounds like he has some way to go for your relationship to be at a good point. You don't want anything to make you feel uncomfortable on your special day and seeing as walking down the aisle is one of the first things you'll do (after getting ready) it would be awful to start the day on such a tone if you conceded and let him walk you.

From a 'humiliation' point, depending on how well this suggestion went down, it may be ultimately LESS humiliating if he didn't even walk you to the door and just sat the front with your mum. Might just be me, but walking you to the door and then him having to leave you is more of a statement than just quietly taking his seat with everyone else before your entrance.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics