Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner March 2020

Pressure to have extra flower girl-advice pls

Brid2be12345, 29 of March of 2018 at 23:21 Posted on Planning 0 4

Me and my partner are going to have a very small wedding abroad. I was planning on having 2 bridesmaids and my daughter as a 'flower girl' but was going to walk with her down the aisle side by side as I won't have my dad to give me away. Plus she will only be 2 so won't be a proper flower girl.

My Mil is putting so much pressure on me to include my partners niece and have her as a flower girl too, saying you should ask ****** and it would be lovely having ****** as a flower girl. And to be honest I don't want her to be one. Not that I don't like her I do there are just a number of reasons why;

1. If I include her then her brother might feel left out also I will feel pressure to include my other niece from my side.

2. I don't want a big bridal party as it is extra cost ie dresses and we are having so few guests I think it will look silly if I have loads of bridesmaids.

3. I kind of want my daughter to walk with me down the aisle so I don't have to do it alone. If my partners niece is involved then my daughter will end up walking with her.

I told my MIL not to say anything about it at all to her as I hadn't made up my mind yet and I didn't want her to get her hopes up and be disappointed if I said no. Today she comes to me and says 'you never guess what ****** was asking, she asked me if she would be your flower girl and I said that she would have to ask you' now I'm so annoyed by this because my mil has obviously said something about it to her, she wouldn't just randomly come out with that. now I don't know what to say to her because I don't want to hurt her feelings! Do I just involve her but then I feel like I shouldn't out of principal because my MIL has clearly gone against my wishes, then I just feel very petty. This post is basically just a rant lol. Any advice appreciated. X

4 replies

Latest activity by Paula @ Ollievision, 1 of April of 2018 at 12:51
  • R
    Beginner April 2018
    RomanticBlueCakes716 ·
    • Hide content

Stick to your guns, you have very good reasons, if she asks, just tell her 'oh, sorry, my daughter is the flower girl' and leave it at that. Maybe speak to your partners brother and explain and he can let your niece down. I'm all for doing things how you want them and telling interfering people where to go so I'd certainly not be letting other people force me into anything.

• S
    Beginner April 2018
    shanmia35 ·
    • Hide content

“No” is the most powerful word. I would just say “That’s a lovely idea but FI and I have decided we’re just going to have XX as our flower girl.” If she pushes (eg oh she’s going to be disappointed), then stand your ground eg “I’m sure she’ll still have a great time on the day.”

It’s your wedding!

• BristolBride2812
    Beginner July 2019
    BristolBride2812 ·
    • Hide content

I would say definitely stick to your guns! There are always extra female relatives that want to be involved (most little girls dream of being in a pretty dress next to a beautiful bride) but you have to make sure you have what you want at your wedding. The idea of walking down the aisle with your daughter sounds so lovely too!!

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

Definitely stick to your guns. Maybe ask your partner to have a word with your MIL?

Also, could she be bluffing about the niece having asked? A low trick, either way!

I love the idea of your daughter walking down the aisle with you!

Good luck! X

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Just say to MIL "It's a shame you didn't tell her I won't be having any more flower girls, just my own daughter. Do you want to tell her that or shall I?"

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics