Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

InWineTheresTruth
Beginner July 2015

previously married and not reverted back to maiden name ....

InWineTheresTruth, 17 of August of 2014 at 18:17 Posted on Planning 0 16

... so what name is used in the ceremony? We got our registrars ceremony pack today and it asks for your full name ...I am still known as my married name and all my ID is still in that name ... I have a decree absolute so am fully divorced but it's my children's name too so I didn't bother changing it ... However, I don't want to have to say "I Penelope Pitstop" when Pitstop is the ex husbands name ... But I don't use my maiden name ever ... I haven't for 14 years ... so do you have to say your full name in the vowels or can we just say our Christian names? Or should I (and am I allowed to) use my maiden name during the vowels ... and feel weird about it when it's not "my name" anymore??

There must be a usual protocol so I would be grateful for any advice xx

16 replies

Latest activity by Mrslizziew2be, 18 of August of 2014 at 19:57
  • MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I changed my name by Deed Poll after my divorce. My understanding from that is that you are expected to use one name for all legal/official purposes (when I changed my name by Deed Poll I had to sign a document to that effect), so I'm not sure whether the registrar would use your maiden name, but you might find this link helpful. It seems to suggest that you might be able to just provide a copy of your decree absolute as evidence of which name you would like to use.

• charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

I have been married before 13 years ago and kept my married name, i have given notice in the register office where i am due to get married again and nothing was said about using my maiden name. i believe its the name you have been mostly known as.

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

I am in the same situation, Im afraid that unless you changed it by deedpoll then your full name is your married name (even though now divorced) so yes it would be"I Penelope Pitstop"

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i concur. This is exactly what I was told by both registrars, we get married in a different area. Because I hadn't reverted on divorce my only option would have been to change by deed poll and change all my legal documents too such as bank, driving licence and passport.

I will be asking to minimise use of my previous name using my first name only wherever possible.

x

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice ... I will have to speak to registrar about using my full name as little as possible as I really don't won't my exes name to be any part of our wedding ... I guess I should have reverted back to my maiden name but I didn't really think far ahead!

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

I'm in the same boat, but I see the ceremony as a way of ditching the old name and taking on a new one for the next chapter of my life.

what better way to say that is no longer who I am?!

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

We're having a Humanist ceremony so I don't need to worry about this as our celebrant will call me whatever I want her to call me, but when I got married first time round the registrar didn't use our surnames at all during the ceremony, so I'm sure if you mention this when you're discussing which version of the vows you want they'll be able to accommodate you.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

As far as I know it is your legally known name, which, if you haven't changed it back to your maiden name will still be your married name. I changed my name by Deed Poll after my divorce back to my maiden name just to make sure it had gone!

• Howeaboutthat
    Savvy November 2021 Gloucestershire
    Howeaboutthat ·
    • Hide content

I am most definitely am going to change my name via deed poll now if that's the case. I was planning to have all my bank documents/ drivers licence etc changed to my maiden name anyway in the next few weeks but i am assuming that isn't going to be enough? Theres noway i want my exes surname to be called out. You can do it free cant you via deed poll?

• kiwi_girl
    Beginner May 2015
    kiwi_girl ·
    • Hide content

Now I'm a bit confused!

I changed all my ID back to my maiden name after my divorce with no problems. I go entirely by my maiden name in all my life now, but I didn't change it back by deed poll....do I need to use deed poll for them to accept my maiden name for the wedding?

• Howeaboutthat
    Savvy November 2021 Gloucestershire
    Howeaboutthat ·
    • Hide content

Same- i thought if you changed all your ID back after divorce that was it.. Also quick question did your bank/drivers licence just accept your decree absolute?

• Lottie2409
    Beginner November 2014
    Lottie2409 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't change mine by deed poll. I just changed all my bank, driving licence and passport etc back to my maiden name. When we went to give notice the registrar asked to see my decree absolute and said they would have to use my name as it was stated on there ( old married name) but luckily I had my passport on me so she said they would use that as I.D instead and put my maiden name on all the paperwork.

• KinkyBride
    Beginner March 2016
    KinkyBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Absolutely this. My 1st marriage is what made me who I am today and ironically is what lead me to meet my H2B so there's no point avoiding it entirely. I love the 'moving on' symbolism too.

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

Yup, we can't change the past. I have two amazing children, who are now adults in their own right, from that marriage. I may not be happy with the association with ex-H but I am certainly not ashamed of my association with my children who bear the same name.

Don't get me wrong, I have considered reverting to my maiden name many a time, and I really really cannot wait to take on my new name. Old fashioned though it may be, and impractical in terms of my professional life, but it is more important to me than even the wedding ring.

A definite "next phase of my life" moment, ditching the old name and all!

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

For those confused about whether they need a Deed Poll if they have ID in their maiden names, I got a Deed Poll because I didn't want to keep my ex's surname after we separated but it was before we could divorce (we decided to wait for the two-year separation period, to keep it amicable & simple).

However, if you have a decree absolute, some official agencies (banks, Passport Office etc) will accept that as a proof of name change, so you don't need a Deed Poll to change your name. If all of your ID is in your married name, then I believe that that is considered to be your legal name.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

My MIL to be has been married twice and never gone back to her maiden name. She's getting married again the end of the year and is getting married with her 2nd husbands last name as her driving licence has it on aswell as her passport. It dosnt bother her as she can't change the past and it's her own problem as she couldn't be bothered to fill out all the paper work changing everything back.

I think the best thing to do is give the registrars a phone call to find out.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics