Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chloe
Curious October 2023 Leicestershire

Private Vows

Chloe, 16 of July of 2023 at 17:03 Posted on Planning 0 11
Hi all!
I'm currently stressing about the vow writing part of our wedding. I have so many things I want to say but would feel awkward saying in front of 50 people- I feel my vows wouldnt be exactly as I'd want them to be (we are both introverts aswell). I recently came across the idea of doing standard vows at the ceremony then private vows after the ceremony just between the couple. Has anyone done this or plans to do this?

11 replies

Latest activity by Chloe, 17 of July of 2023 at 18:35
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Hi Chloe, remember that you do not have to have your own vows - its just something that registrars let you do and I have shot many weddings where they simply stick to the standard vows, the personal vows are an added extra if you want them so dont feel pressured if you are not comfortable.

You could do it the way that you thought but I do not know of a time that it would fit nicely. How about both writing it in a card to each other that you can both read to yourselves in the morning when you are both getting ready.

• Chloe
    Chloe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for your reply Bill, that's a good option, I've seen a few on Instagram where they've done it during the photos(during the drinks bit for guests) so we were thinking then, I don't think it would take much time out, maybe 10minutes
  • Chloe
    Chloe ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you Melissa for your reply that's really helpful, and puts things in perspective for sure Smiley smile xx
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

My personal preference is for standard vows at the ceremony and any private vows to be a private moment between the couple. It always feels a bit voyeuristic listening to something so personal between the couple! I like the idea of either having a private 'vow moment' before or after the legal bit, or of exchanging cards or letters to read as you get ready on the wedding day.

• Chloe
    Chloe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much for this, Its really helpful having others opinions as I'm often one to worry I'm doing the wrong thing, the way youve put it is quite right!
  • Katie
    Savvy September 2024 Middlesex
    Katie ·
    • Hide content

This conversation has been helpful for me too; thank you all.

• Chloe
    Chloe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So glad! It's just an added pressure on the day if you aren't naturally a confident speaker
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

My thoughts about finding an opportune moment was not so much about the time it may take but perhaps they would not feel quite the same when done half way through the drinks ceremony, this also is actually a very busy time as everyone wants you and it the main section for any photos.

How about when you walk down the isle together you usually go straight outside depending on the venue and weather, mostly the two of you leave first and the guests follow.

But instead of the two of you leading out first you could "do a left" and the guests ushered right, you could go to a separate room and read your vows to each other whilst the guests are arranged outside ready with confetti as you walk out the door after you have read your vows privately to each other. That way you are still "in the moment" and the guests will be none the wiser and you will still have a good flow for your wedding.

Photography wise I would perhaps get a few shots as you prepare and then leave you to be private whilst I then make sure the confetti is lined up correctly for a good shot.

• Chloe
    Chloe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much this is super helpful, genuinely. I appreciate you taking that time to help me out, I will have a chat with venue and fiance and sort something out, definitely good to have a few ways of going about it and that's a great idea.
  • A
    Oregon
    Articicezephyr ·
    • Hide content

The idea of doing standard vows during the ceremony and then private vows afterward is actually pretty awesome! It gives you a chance to express yourselves freely without any awkwardness or pressure. It's a personal touch that some couples opt for, and it can make the moment even more intimate and special. So if that feels right for you, go for it!

• Chloe
    Chloe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for this! Gives me a boost of confidence that Im doing the right thing for me and my fiance.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics