Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner July 2011

Problematic Pageboy

starla, 6 April, 2011 at 16:38 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi Everyone,

So I’m having my friends little boy (3yrs) as my pageboy, he’s lovely and like a nephew to me..

So I’ve bought his little suit already (stupidly 2nd hand from Ebay when I could of got if for new for the same price – oh well) the first time I took it round he happily jumped into the trousers, got his shirt on and then refused to put the waistcoat on saying “it hurts” when we said it’s not even on you yet! He said “it will hurt!” cheeky one well that was months ago and since he has refused to try it on again, he’s still refusing to try any of it on and now refuses to do up buttons on his own clothes!! Lol

We’ve tried just a normal school type shirt but he refuses that too, any ideas of alternative shirts/outfits? Or a way to get him into it? – we’ve tried bribery! And his dad is pretty useless and not helping trying to convince him at all L am I going to have to give up on my pageboy idea, as all the other little boys we know are older or much younger Smiley sad

so any ideas welcome Smiley smile

6 replies

Latest activity by starla, 6 April, 2011 at 20:49
  • Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Once they make up their mind there is a battle of wits! If he has point blank refused to wear them then he will be sure that he won't wear them on the day.

If he doesn't want to do it then you may as well give up, the times I have been battling with page boys refusing to keep clothes on and running riot! It is easier to just accept that he doesn't want to than trying to bribe him & then his Mum having the stress on the morning of the wedding and trying to get him to stay in the pics.

• F
    floral-exuberance ·
    • Hide content

Dont push him into it, take it nice and slow, try a few items on at seperate times, - maybe with some dressing up clothes, you have to get into his imagination at that age!!!!! have you tried making into a " fun" thing??? bribery at that age wont work as thier comprehension is limited.. the waistcoat will make a great part to a pirate outfit... at lest if he gets it on then you will know- then REWARD him, with stickers, and make a huge fuss when he does get it on....

I was a childminder up to a few months ago so i know 3 yr olds quite well LOL good luck...

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

My MIL2B got my H2B and his brother into little sailor suits when they were kids by showing them pictures of really fancy, fussy, frilly suits she knew they would hate, and saying "your cousins are wearing these, but I've got you these *shows them the sailor suits* because they're a lot plainer and will be more comfy for you" and they were fooled into thinking they'd got a good deal!

• K
    Beginner December 2011
    king george ·
    • Hide content

We had the same problem with my son whe he was pageboy for my sister but he was just over 2 at the time, Def do not push it he will then not wear it at all.

I know it sounds awful but the offer of a bribe ie little toy or choclate could work or what we did was wait until the day and when he saw his dad and everyone else getting ready he just did not even think about it and put it on,

Good luck x

• *libby*
    Beginner June 2011
    *libby* ·
    • Hide content

When I bought my 2.5 year old daughters dress she wouldn't even put it on and was hysterically screaming just at the sight of it! I put it away and tried again a few weeks later, same happened.

She started getting into ballet somehow and one day my sister said 'oh look its a ballet dress' dancing around with her....and she tried it on!

The more you stress about it the more they won't budge but make it fun and theres a chance they will go for it.

If you show him two outfits and ask which he wants to wear that may work too as he thinks he is deciding.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

My son had to wear a 3 piece suit last year aged 5. He has sensory issues and hated the shirt as it felt stiff and scratchy compared to his usual tops. We decided to wash it in fabric conditioner to soften it or just buy a cotton collared polo top as a plan B to wear under the waistcoat. On the day of the wedding I didn't make a fuss, just calmly dressed him same as any other day leaving top buttons open and he wore the whole outfit all day.

I think it was a combination of a different type of clothing and me being over excited getting him to put it on and placing too much emphasis on him and the outfit gave him the power to get one over me. Reverse psychology did the trick but my son can be a pain lol!

• S
    Beginner July 2011
    starla ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies everyone Smiley smile I defenately wouldn't push him into it x think I'll try re washing the shirt!! And try and find maybe a jersey type shirt, also like you said I think on the day when he sees his dad in a suit he won't mind, but like I said atm his dad's just leaving if to us! Well whatever will be will be x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics