Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emma
Curious June 2023 West Yorkshire

Problems with getting our venue to answer any communication.

Emma, 15 of February of 2023 at 08:07 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 6

Hi all, our wedding is June this year. We booked it last July, they took our deposit and the events coordinator at the time seemed helpful and sent all the relevant menus etc. to us and told us she would be in touch to arrange a meeting. So we booked our registrar, who then proceeded to ask us in September if the venue was still doing weddings?! Long story short the venue had changed hands and all staff we had dealt with initially had gone.

Eventually after quite a bit of chasing the new events coordinator got in touch. We met her in November and she was understandably flustered as she had just taken over and didn't know the answer to very simple questions such as can we have a live band, confetti etc. We were also told initially on booking we could have 50 people to the ceremony and up to 150 in the evening. She changed this to 30 in the day. I put my foot down and said we have more than 30 family and we all compromised at 40. Since then we have had little to no communication from her. we haven't had a cost breakdown, a contract, we don't know if we are allowed candles, don't know the size of the tables. I have sent her a few text messages that have gone unanswered. She's still very active on the venue's social media, has planned a wedding fair there etc so is working. It feels like we are booked so she can just forget us. It's just under 4 months to our wedding and I am starting to panic a bit. I am thinking of sending a strongly worded email today but am I being unreasonable? What communication have you had from your venue? Written and verbal? Just want to gauge if this is normal or not. This is thousands of pounds of our money we are spending here so is it unreasonable to expect answers the questions?

6 replies

Latest activity by Lisa, 16 of February of 2023 at 17:36
  • K
    Savvy August 2023 Co Londonderry
    Katherine ·
    • Hide content

If it were me i would be landing at the venue in person and asking to see the manager to sort it out. that doesnt seem right at all. mine isnt til aug and im in contact with coordinator every week now . id be prepared to have to find another venue though, just incase. good luck, hope you get it sorted.

• Emma
    Curious June 2023 West Yorkshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Katherine, it is really frustrating. It's just the fact that we are being ignored that is antagonizing me the most. I will send the email.

• S
    Rockstar April 2023 West London
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

If she’s active on social media, you can be too. If you’ve given her multiple chances to respond and she hasn’t, then I don’t see any reason not to comment whenever she posts asking when you can expect a response as you’re getting concerned with the wedding being so soon. No venue will want that on their socials if they’re trying to encourage customers, and so you might find you get a response.

• K
    Katherine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh thats a good one!

• K
    Katherine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you paid a deposit you def shouldnt be getting ignored.

• L
    Rockstar July 2023 Greater Manchester
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    Assuming you’re after keeping the venue, and not wanting to go down the route of changing everything at this stage, I’d say you need a follow up meeting asap.
    If it’s local to you, and you have the ability to, I’d call and ask if you can come over on x time and date (less can I, more I’m coming). I would approach with positive intent in mind, but have all your questions listed, and then go through them all with the co-ordinator. If she can’t answer them, see if she can give you the contact details of someone who can, but keep it polite, and blame it on the factual that you’re needing the information in order for your other suppliers to be sorted.
    Unless she’s actively encouraged it, I wouldn’t text a supplier, keep it more professional by email, then you can always forward that email to other contacts at the venue if she continues to ignore you.
    I wouldn’t post on social media just yet, and unless you’re sure it’s her posting as a lot of venues will have more than 1 events staff, this may be a way where you burn your bridges, and if you want to keep your big day here, that may not be ideal. You will need the venues help on your wedding day after all.
    My wedding is in July. I feel like I’m fairly organised, my venue have emailed me about once a month for the past year and I’ve provided the updates to them. When I’ve had more immediate questions, I’ve given them a quick call, but that’s only been 3-4 times. This has felt more than enough for me, and I know if I needed more support, they’d have been happy to oblige. We went to see them in January and then it’ll be May for our final planning visit.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics