Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

cinnamon009
Beginner December 2014

Promise rings?

cinnamon009, 14 of July of 2014 at 16:04 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 10

I keep seeing in the celeb columns about 'celebs' (in the loosest sense of the word) giving each other promise rings as a precursor to getting engaged and then one popped up on my FB friends (based in the US) and I keep thinking wtf so wondered what you all thought.

I can understand instead of getting engaged/married where you don't believe in that type of commitment exchanging promise rings. It has meaning as a stand alone for people who don't want to go down the traditional route. I am confused as to its use as a new stage before getting engaged. Why not just wait until you are ready to get engaged? What are you promising - that at some point you will get engaged? ?Why?

I thought it was a meaningless gesture created by 'celebs' for a headline but it seems to be catching on?!

10 replies

Latest activity by InkedDoll, 15 of July of 2014 at 13:04
  • AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

When I was a kid at school, back when dinosaurs still walked the land, we used to give each other promise rings as a sign that we would be friends forever. They were usually made out of ring pulls from cans of drink!!

As a new stage before engagement? About as pointless as those childhood promises!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

At first I thought they were to do with saving your virginity for someone. Then I thought I had them mixed up with purity rings. But having googled, they do sometimes symbolise that. I think they're more for younger people who are perceivced by their parents etc as too young to get engaged.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I've always thought of them as an American high school type thing to do. I'm sure I saw it in some American tv shows or films when I was younger.

Seems pointless though.

• MrsCWB
    Beginner October 2014
    MrsCWB ·
    • Hide content

About a month before we got engages, H2B bought me a Welsh love spoon. He is Welsh and we had gone to Wales to visit his family. The history of the Welsh love spoon is a promise of marriage, so when he gave it to me, I did say to him, you know what this means, right? He just grinned and said all in good time. So, I guess it's the Welsh version of a promise ring!

x

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

Funnily enough, literally just finished watching TOWIE, tevo'd yesterday, and one of the dudes gave a ring.

I paused the show and was just ranting to husband about how ridiculous it was, since he said something along the lines of "I know you're worried about my commitment and where our relationship is going". It just made me think that surely that's only going to consolidate those thoughts for her, rather than ease them. Now she knows you don't want to get engaged.

Hmmm. Odd.

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what I thought..I remember something in Sweet Valley High about promise rings! lol

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah I loved SVH when I was a kid!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See that's quite lovely.

I do think that some shlebs do it for a bit of extra publicity, but I think most of them do it because they know they won't stay together long enough to get married.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Unless you're Cheryl Cole! Three months, BOOM.

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is really sweet. I understand the young thing as well. That seems sweet too. And appropriate. I just don't get the others. A promise ring party? wtf? Let's hope paperchase don't see it or there will be cards to send soon too.

And schlebs is officially my new favourite word.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was confused for a moment there cos out of context I thought it was a misspelling of schlep. It isn't.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics