Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner July 2011

Pronuptia - Chelmsford : Please help!

LallyHay, 30 March, 2011 at 18:38 Posted on Planning 0 59

Hi,

Does anyone know the situation with Pronuptia in Chelmsford? I ordered my dress in October and it has been in stock since before Xmas as they said they'd keep it there until alterations are needed before the July wedding. I received a message on phone last week saying could I collect dress ASAP as they are having refurbishments. I can not get in touch with them since. Mum and dad drove down there today to find out and the shop has loads of Sale signs on windows, is locked up and when they looked through windows it seemed not much stock on rails anymore.

All of our suits have also been paid for from there too. I have such a headache as I'm so worried they've gone bust and closed or sold my dress!!!

If you have ANY info please can you tell me.

Thanks!!

59 replies

Latest activity by chaza220, 26 April, 2011 at 14:32
  • L
    Beginner April 2011
    lozzie_b ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I hope i'm not the bearer of bad news but we are getting married next weekend and all of our mens suits and bridesmaid dresses were booked and paid for with Pronuptia of Chelmsford. Unfortunately, we received a call from them yesterday to advise they could not fullfill our hire wear as they have gone into liquidation and the Administrators have seized all assets, with immediate effect.

It felt like the bottom had fallen out of our day.

I don't have any further details i'm afraid but we have been advised to claim via wedding insurance (if you have some in place) or through our Credit Card company as we paid all balances in full, by credit card and you can claim for unfullfilled services or goods not received.

We really feel for you and hope you can sort something out.

Once again, sorry to bring you such bad news.

Kind regards

Lorraine & Ian

• Jay-Low
    Beginner
    Jay-Low ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Sorry I don't actually know anything about the situation with the shop but didn't want to R&R - especially as you're my venue twin! (i think).

This must be stressing you out but try not to panic until you know the facts. If they have gone 'bust' etc hopefully you have wedding insurance or will be protected by your credit card company as far as the mens suits go and fingers crossed they still have your dress. Funnily enough I had an appointment booked with Pronuptia back when I was wedding dress shopping but cancelled it when I found my dress elsewhere in Chelmsford.

Good luck - keep us updated

xxx ?

• L
    Beginner July 2011
    LallyHay ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies. Lozzie_b I am so sorry to hear that you have found out so close to the date - what are you going to do about the suits now? Had you collected your bridesmaid dresses? Can I just ask if they called you from the office number yesterday or did you have another number for them? I have left numerous messages now (phone & email).

I need to find out whether I can get my dress as it was fully paid for. I don't know all the legal rights for when companies go bust.

• D
    Beginner April 2011
    dotcomm ·
    • Hide content

This happened to the Truro store while I was dress shopping - so glad we didn't order from there in the end.

They told us that they were asking brides who had dresses stored in the shop to come and collect them ASAP, as the creditors could sell anything in the shop to try to reclaim their money. All their stock and samples were being sold half price - I got my shoes from them. They were giving out the details of the dressmakers they used for alterations, so that brides could go and get their alterations themselves.

I really hope you can go and collect your dress before they have to sell it - I'm sure the Truro store were trying to get as many dresses to brides as they possibly could. It might be worth just popping into the shop with any receipts you have, and trying to pick it up then.

• L
    Beginner July 2011
    LallyHay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have tried to but the store is closed & looks like it has just been abandoned quite quickly, i've sent emails and phone calls and there are no details on shop window/door of who to contact so I just need someone to get my dress out of the shop :-(

• BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

I am really sorry to hear about this. I hope you do manage to get your dress. I am sure I ahve heard of other Pronuptia shops closing down and brides managing to get their dress. You probably need to contact the adminstrators and you may be able to buy your dress for a small fee.

I am afriad this one has been on the cards for quite a while. It has been up for sale for a long time. It was offered to me some time back, I turned it down because i suspected their were more issues than just the owner wishing to retire.

• J
    jdrummond ·
    • Hide content

Hi all,

Sorry to hear about all the mess at Pronuptia Chelmsford - must be a fairly stressful time.

I'm a reporter with the Essex Chronicle. We're now looking into what's going on at the shop and hopefully we will get a few answers for you soon.

But we'd love to hear from you if you've been let down by Pronuptia or are worried how the disruption will impact upon your wedding. Please get in touch on **** 348 - the name is James Drummond. Or email me on *****.********@**************.**.** - it would be really good to hear from you.

Kind regards

James

• Rebecca86
    Beginner July 2012
    Rebecca86 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry to read about this, but i didn't want to read & run

I really hope you have insurance or paid by credit card so your covered

best of luck

x

• L
    Beginner July 2011
    LallyHay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

BespokeTailor - I don't suppose you are local to Chelmsford are you (I am in work so can't really look on your website here)? If you are we will need to find a new hire service for the suits so I will get my H2B to look on your site.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sure he won't mind me helping him out Smiley smile Lots of people have used his services and seem to be very happy with it.

His website is https://www.jackbunneys.co.uk/

Contact details from the website

Jack Bunney's.
    50 Longbridge Road
    Barking
    Essex
    IG11 8RT

Tel No: 020 8594 1654
    Tel No: 020 8594 5967
    Fax No: 020 8594 2173

• BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

Thanks AJ. Cheque's in the post. ?

LallyHay: If your OH, likes the look of the wesbite, get him to shoot me over an email and I will see what i can do. ?

• massuch
    Beginner July 2011
    massuch ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear, I really hope that you manage to get your dress. Hopefully they still have it somewhere, but it sounds like they were asking you to collect it ASAP before the creditors took it from them.

I did a search on the internet and back in october 2010 there was a BBC News report on the shop in Cornwall going into liquidation.

• L
    Beginner July 2011
    LallyHay ·
    • Hide content

Update: I have contacted the designer of my dress whose dresses they sell a lot of & they were not aware of the closure & were quite concerned. They have contacted the owner of the company as they had the correct details and have found out the details of the administrators who are looking dealing with the closure. If you need their details please let me know & I will pass on all the details I have. It seems to be that if any bride has fully purchased items from them they are being kept at the owners home so they do not get taken as assets. I will be visiting the owner tonight & hoping my dress is one of them! All suit hires need to be refunded through Credit Cards or Insurance.

• BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

LallyHay, that is fantastic news!!! ? One fine piece of sleuth-ing! ?

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Aw Lallyhay the exact same thing happened to me but the shop had not taken delivery of the dress or paid the supplier for it, it was an absolute nightmare but all worked out in the end, i bought the dress direct from the manufacturer and got the original payment refunded via the bank was very iffy for a while but sounds like things are much more positive for you, hope you get your dress tonight

• L
    Beginner April 2011
    lozzie_b ·
    • Hide content

Hope you get on ok with tracking your dress!

I would appreciate if you could let me know the Administrators details as it is required for Credit Card chargeback.

Many thanks

Lorraine

• massuch
    Beginner July 2011
    massuch ·
    • Hide content

That'll be great if the owner has it at their house. Let us know how you get on. x

• H
    Beginner September 2011
    hollie12 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

please could you give me any details concerning pronuptia chelmsford as i have purchased 3 bridesmaid dresses and paid half the hire of the mens suits. i have had no phones calls, been to the shop and is closed. i went to citizens advise they could not find out who the administrators are and could not find out any relevent information i.e contact numbers but they were very helpful i was advised to go to the police as it is unusual the way things have been done. also the essex chronicle have been involved and are looking into this matter the reporter is james hammond. i feel that there are many other brides in this situation and they need to be made aware of matter.

please get in contact with essex chronicle!

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

I really hope the dress is at the owners for you- i was so gutted for u reading this this morning-finers crossed ?

• L
    Beginner July 2011
    LallyHay ·
    • Hide content

*Biggest sigh of relief ever* I have my dress ? I have tried it on and still love it (had forgotten what it looked like after 8 months!). I am sooo relieved. I have forwarded on details to the B2B's who requested it via email. If anyone else needs details let me know x and thank you all for your support today!! x

• Rebecca86
    Beginner July 2012
    Rebecca86 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm so so happy that you got your dress

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

YEAY so glad you have your dress ?" />? ?" />

• H
    Beginner September 2011
    hollie12 ·
    • Hide content

Would that be the same with alfred angelo? im getting really worried that im not going to get my bridesmaid dresses.

• J
    jdrummond ·
    • Hide content

Dear all,

Glad to hear some of you have had some success. And thanks to all for calling the Essex Chronicle to tell us about what's going on. We're trying to get to the bottom of the matter as well - but please keep us informed or let us know how the shop closure has affected your wedding.

We think there could be hundreds of brides who will get married in a couple of months times and have ordered dresses from pronuptia. Unfortunately, it seems the only time people are finding out there's a problem is when their wedding is just round the corner, and they go to collect the clothes.

So, with this in mind, we'll be doing an article on the mess at Pronuptia and advising brides-to-be (who haven't come to this forum of course!) on what to do.

James

*****.********@**************.**.**

• M
    Magnolia123 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Hollie12 Unfortunately because I dont stock AA I cant help their brides, my advice would be if the dresses are not actually instore yet, is to call AA and check if they can send them to a different store for you xx

• sales@anthonyformalwear.co.uk
    sales@anthonyformalwear.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

We have so far helped out 2 grooms from this shop so far. if you are stuck for the menswear we have hire availability all year and will help out with a 15% discount for anyone who lost there suits at pronuptia. just contact us via our website.

https://www.anthonyformalwear.co.uk/pages/request-forms.php

or on ****@*****************.**.**

i belive they are giving the dresses to most people from what i heard this week,.

• sales@anthonyformalwear.co.uk
    sales@anthonyformalwear.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Oh sorry forget to say we are based in billericay or colchester.

• N
    Beginner October 2011
    natjonesbell ·
    • Hide content

Hi lallyhay, did you get your dress? i have paid for mine back in december, but i was told it wouldnt be in the shop until april may, i marry in sept. i was a little concerned when i read on here that brides have been contacted, i have not heard a word - and i went in there 3 wks ago and they tried to sell me a further 4 bridesmaids dresses, and never menchiened the up comin closure ! -cant help but think they must of known too!. i noticed on here that you were goin to her home, could i please, please have her address as i have no way of getting hold of shop, and i dont even know if they past my money on, i havent seen my dress since paying for it in october !! and i have no budget left for a new one! , i am hoping it is at her home or hanging in stores somewhere, and i can collect. i would be extremely grateful if you can help, regards nat

• N
    Beginner October 2011
    natjonesbell ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

i ordered my dress in october too, but i was told she wouldnt get delivery of it until may , so it never arrived at the shop! i am guessing yours did? which leads me to suspect that she apent the money and never ordered it at all, even though i pop in all the time with my friends form uni , and was in the shop 3 wks ago while she tried a last ditch attempt at selling me a further 4 dresses at 160 each !! , seems most of the brides-to-be on here have had some luck locating their dresses except me ! if you or anyone can help me locate the owner i would be really grateful as it stand sat the moment no one knows where my payment or dress are !

• N
    Beginner October 2011
    natjonesbell ·
    • Hide content

Please forward me the details of owners contact , am desperate regards nat

• L
    Beginner July 2011
    LallyHay ·
    • Hide content

Nat - I have forwarded you on all details by email.

• C
    Beginner August 2011
    C-O-Y-S ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone, I prepaid for my and five groomsmen's suit hire and I'm in the same situation as most of you. Luckily, my wedding is not until the end of July so I have time to make alternative arrangements.

Today I have received a letter informing me that the proposed liquidator is M Weller of FRP Advisor, an insolvency practitioner based in Hornchurch. A creditors'meeting will be held at FRP's premises on 13 April 2011 at 2.30PM. This is important, as a creditors'meeting is the formal opportunity that creditors have to confront the directors and try to obtain answers to the questions they may have. At least a director has to be present at the creditors' meeting for this to be valid.

My advice is for all of you who is waiting for answers to contact the proposed liquidator's office on 01708/458211 and discuss your individual issues. In my experience of dealing with liquidators, they are often unhelpful, but be persistent and ensure that you request your message is passed on to the directors before the meeting. If you are available on the 13th, then it would be beneficial to attend the meeting and try to obtain some answers.

As to repayment of monies owed, I will be cynical but most liquidations end up with little or no dividend to creditors. Contact your insurance or credit card company and you should be alright.

Any of you who contact FRP, it will be helpful if you could post your feedback on here after speaking to them. If they are unhelpful to begin with, getting some bad press may make them change their ways.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics