Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner August 2009

Pronuptia Leeds Kirkgate- terrible customer service, rude staff

Charlie_Bobble, 25 March, 2009 at 15:53 Posted on Planning 0 12

I went to Pronuptia in Leeds city centre 2 weeks ago on a Saturday with my chief bridesmaid. Although we had not made an appointment, we popped in to see if we would be able to have a look at styles for some ideas.

I have to say that the staff in there were the rudest, most unwelcoming and terribly unprofessional people I have ever come across. We were told in no uncertain terms that we required an appointment and to stop wasting their time.

Looking for bridal and bridesmaid outfits can be stressful as it is, however I can honestly say I have never experienced such horrendous customer service (in a shop that was not particularly pretty anyway).

Pronuptia are a big name in the wedding business, and I can only advise anyone thinking of going there not to. I did in fact go on to other bridal shops in Leeds where an appointment was necessary too, but they were all very friendly and helpful rather than practically pushing us out of the door.

We went to Berketex Brides in Queen's Arcade in the end, who were delightful and provided an excellent service - we ended up trying on and placing orders for the bridesmaid dresses here.

I also met a bride-to-be and her bridesmaids in there, who had actually had an appointment at Pronuptia and who had an even worse experience than we did! They were told to stop wasting the shops time, and as the bride was from Stockton was told "Lets face it, you're not going to be getting your dress from here. We're not here for your entertainment, you know".....

This was her first experience ever, and it obviously upset her a lot to be spoken to in this way.

I intend to write to the Head Office of this company to complain, and would just like to warn any brides/bridesmaids out there to avoid going there at all costs.

12 replies

Latest activity by nicky1980, 28 July, 2010 at 20:05
  • tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

A pleasent ? might have been nice to start your post... welcome to hitched!

Not sure why you came on here specifically to moan about a bridal shop? Unless I've missed something!

• ashmegdj
    Beginner August 2009
    ashmegdj ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So glad you found somewhere else with better service!!!!!!!!

• M
    Beginner March 2009
    Mrs Bloom ·
    • Hide content

I don't have any experience of Pronuptia in Leeds, but I did go to Berketex Brides in Leeds, and I had an almost exact opposite experience to you.

The member of staff we spoke to was surly, snobby and downright rude. When we asked her about sizing, prices etc. on the dresses she simply said 'it's on the label' and watched us like we were shoplifeters when we were looking at tiaras and accessories.

Needless to say, we never went back.

• P
    Beginner May 2009
    Pipa ·
    • Hide content

I had exactly the same with Pronuptia in Bristol but I had actually made an appointment. as soon as they knew that I had my dress they were not interested in the Bridesmaids at all. My sister was just left to change in and out of them without any help. She's a size 8 and quite short and they didn't even pin a size 18 dress. It is actually quite funny remembering how swamped she was!!

We then went down the hill to Berkatex in Bristol with no apointment and had so much help they were really good and not worried at all that I had already bought mine.

I suppose all shops have good and bad staff but is does effect you and your attitude but you won't go back there again!

• D
    deesure ·
    • Hide content

The Leeds store hasn't changed. My daughter ordered her dress in May2009. we paid the 50% deposit and the final amount when the dress arrived. we went to inspect it and found it perfect. A few weeks ago my daughter attended for her alteration fitting and again the dress was perfect. Imagaine our horror when we went for the final fitting on 26th July 2010 (4 days before the wedding this Saturday 31st July) to find a black mark right at the front of the dress.

The assistant asked us to leave it for an hour so they could look at it which we did. However when we returned the mananger had taken it upon herself the try and hide the offending mark by tacking the dress together. A silk dress that cost almost £1,000!!!!

When we made it clear we were not happy about this and said it hadn't been there before the alteration we were called liars, she said it was a natural flaw in the fabric!!! We agreed to let the dry cleaner look at it (this was her second option after " I have done what I can". I was happy to let the cleaner have a look after all if it was a natural flaw it couldn't be removed by dry cleaning anyway so I did this to prove the point it was a stain.

I put in a complaint there and then as she even refused to discuss a refund.

The dry cleaner has managed to remove some of the stain but not all and it is right at the front of the dress. I have spoken to the Owner of the store as I am due to collect the dress Friday (day before the wedding) she hadn't even seen the stain before it went for cleaning and once again tried to tell me it was natural shading.. this stain was a semi circle stain the size of the edge of 1 penny peice darker on the inside than the outside so It appears it was stained from inside out. I think while it was being altered.

The manager is still insisting it is a natural flaw in the fabric and refuses to comment on how the dry cleaner got some of the stain out!!!!!

As of now I am waiting for the owner to contact me. They have not fulfilled their obligations under the Sales of Goods Act. I will let you know what happens. Please avoid this shop like the plague, It's true the manager is rude and didn't care less that my daughters big day was in virtual tatters because of them. She couldn't care less they want your money and you could well be paying for a dress you can't wear.

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

AM I the only one noticing that 2 people moaning about this shop are not even regular hitchers? Sounds dodgy to me!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I think Pronuptia is a franchise so you won't get much luck from head office CB

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Grrrrr, 3d, there's only one CB round 'ere...

?

• BoroKate
    Beginner September 2010
    BoroKate ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha when i first read that i thought what's Cricket bride got to do with this. You've got your feet well and truly under the table here haven't you ?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

? Yep, feeling particularly comfy, ta!

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

Definitely smells a bit fishy to me too, Zippy!

• TheNinjaPigeon
    Beginner January 2011
    TheNinjaPigeon ·
    • Hide content

I have bought my wedding dress from Pronuptia in Leeds and travelling from Newcastle I have had to be particular about the time I have. I have found them to be nothing but accommodating, very polite and pleasant to deal with and happy to let me enjoy the experience. They even provided chilled Rose wine on the day I bought my dress so we all had a drink to celebrate, family and staff included. When I went in there they were very busy but so pleasant to deal with that it wasn't a problem for me. I know it won't change the experience you had, but I would hope that you caught someone on a bad day, it most certainly wasn't my experience.

• nicky1980
    Beginner February 2011
    nicky1980 ·
    • Hide content

I went to Pronuptia in Huddersfield which I think is owned by the same franchise and they were fantastic and was dissapointed I didn't find my dress there- I even took a friend there as they were so lovely!

I may be wrong about them running the Leeds one too but I'm quite sure they do.

What a shame you had such abad experience! Hope you find the dress you are looking for. I've tried quite a few recently in the West Yorkshire area if you'd like some reccomendations in the area ?

Edit: Yes I double checked and they are the same franchise - I had the exact opposite with their sister shop so maybe it was a one off!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics