Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Porridgefloats
Beginner February 2017

Pub wedding reception ideas!

Porridgefloats, 7 of April of 2015 at 15:56 Posted on Planning 0 7

Can I please pick your knowledgable brains ladies!?

we are planning a low key, casual winter wedding in early 2017. 18 guests, registry office in the afternoon followed by a meal in a private room (with it's own door and bar) at a local pub.

The room is nice, a barn with beams and a high ceiling, so I'm not going to add any decoration. We will be using their chairs and plain linen and having one big table.

any experiences/tips on pub based receptions? The place has a dance floor and speakers so I was thinking after photos, food, speeches etc we could play some silly games? And then have a dance?

thoughts?

7 replies

Latest activity by Porridgefloats, 8 of April of 2015 at 10:15
  • miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

Oh god that sounds perfect!

pub quiz maybe? we had one but it'd be even more suited to your wedding! if they have a regular quiz night you could even ask their quizmaster if they'd organise it for you?

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    AprilBride15 ·
    • Hide content

I suppose it depends on the 18 people.... do they all know each other well?

Will they want to catch up if they haven't seen people for ages?

Are they outgoing, old/young?

You could do loads of activities, but if you have a quiet bunch, or people that would prefer to drink and talk until they've gained some dutch courage to get up and dance - then it doesn't matter what you organise.... they are likely not to join in.

Think of your audience.... try not to force things... everyone will have a great time because they are helping you celebrate your wedding day!

• Porridgefloats
    Beginner February 2017
    Porridgefloats ·
    • Hide content

Pub quiz! Amazing idea!! We used to have a team for one with some of the guests too!

yes they all know each other! It's 9 family plus our closest friends and a couple of kids Smiley smile all family have met friends and get on, yay!

My worry is the transition to sitting around the table chatting to dancing, with a smaller party it's a bit more awkward I think!

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

That sounds like a great idea. You could make one of the quiz topics you as a couple!

• heli-c
    Beginner October 2015
    heli-c ·
    • Hide content

Personally I think with a small group of people that all know each other the transition between chatting and dancing might be easier. I know when I've been to wedding receptions, big parties etc. people (including myself) are often a little embarassed to be the first ones to get up and dance. However if there's a small group of you you could pick a song that you know eveyone would know and be able to dance to, maybe something a little cheesy? You and the Groom start dancing and cheering then grab a couple of people each to get up with you and before you know it everyone's up and dancing!! I also think the pub quiz is a great idea!! I think you'll have a really lovely day!

• A
    Beginner May 2016
    Arabella16 ·
    • Hide content

Love the idea! And I agree the first song being a cheesy one would be a great dancing ice breaker... I went to a dinner/dance that kicked off the dancing bit with the conga... So cheesy but once it was started people couldn't resist joining on and finishing up on the dance floor! x

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    misslynx ·
    • Hide content

You could do the old bring a baby photo quiz and get people to guess who is who on the photos - always good fun and a talking point!

A game like passing the balloon up and down a row without hands might be fun if people are up for it - gets the dancefloor being used, a few drinks to be consumed and for people to laugh!

If you add a bit of competition/mini prizes to fun games I think it would help add the fun and more would make the effort :-)

• Porridgefloats
    Beginner February 2017
    Porridgefloats ·
    • Hide content

Brill ideas! Yes, one of the topics could be 'Us' and the photo round could be baby family pictures, we'll have four generations of family there so can have photos of all of them!

love the cheesy party games and we both love cheesy dancing songs too so that'll work well! We could have a first dance to something cheesy and the last dance to something romantic.

Thank you all, great stuff Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics