Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner December 2014

Public Liability Insurance - Photographers - why?

WinterBride14, 5 of February of 2014 at 15:02 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi

I'm researching the type of questions that we need to put to our photographer & one that keeps coming up is to make sure they have enough Public Liability Insurance to cover our chosen venue....now I'm probably being a little dim here, but can anyway explain what this is & why I / they need it? What does it do /cover us for?

7 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 5 of February of 2014 at 20:43
  • Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

If a guest falls over the togs bag and breaks an arm, the venue will not accept responsibility. The tog has a liability.

• W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content

Ah right, ok. So if he trips & ends up ripping my dress, he's liable?

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

If the Photographer causes damage then they are liable. That insurance would cover them.

• W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you. Its all a bit overwelming really & if we get this part wrong....well that doesnt bear thinking about.

i love this forum....thank you

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No its not for that so much, another way of looking at it is, if say 6 months before your wedding should anything drastic happen and your photographer is proved liable and is sued then without insurance they would go out of bussines and you would be without your photographer, so their cover is also yours in that respect.

And its just another thing along with not having backup equipment that some cut back on which in some cases account for them being cheeper.

So if they dont have this most basic of insurance cover then what else are they short cutting on

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You are doing the right thing asking questions and not rushing into anything. Just make sure you love their end result.

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What Bill said.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

And while we are on the subject, the public liability insurance although can be brought separately it is mostly an add-on to equipment insurance and it could be that if they haven't got the public one then they may not have the camera one.

So why does that matter---- because if they drop their gear in the lake then they are covered to get a replacement but without the insurance they may not have the cash to get a replacement needed for your wedding.

In this scenario I am also assuming that the dog ate all of the back up equipment that they will be carrying.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics