Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner August 2015

Punk rock father of the bride

Kerrypug, 8 of February of 2015 at 16:28 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi guys and gals, I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas in what to dress my dad in!

The groomsmen have just been to choose their hire suits today and it's all very lovely and traditional - slate grey tails with ivory waistcoat and dusky pink tie. The problem is I want my dad to match - but he is really not the 3 piece suit kind of guy and I don't want him feeling silly. He's a punk through and through - and even though he would wear whatever I asked him to, I want him to still show his personality. He'll have the hair and piercings that he always has anyway, but does anyone have any ideas of what else to do? Shall I just get him a simple suit with a tie to match the groomsmen's?

Thanks! ?

10 replies

Latest activity by Kerrypug, 13 of February of 2015 at 12:39
  • MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I would talk to him and see what he'd like to do. You never know, he might quite fancy a three piece suit for a change! Maybe he'd rather just match his hair to your colour scheme ;-) he could easily just have a grey jacket and wear his own shoes and trousers as a compromise, there are quite a few options. Sounds fun to me!

• L
    Beginner May 2016
    littleredfairy ·
    • Hide content

Sounds fantastic. My brother is a punk and I expect his hair will be interesting, his tattoos won't be on show but that's cos he will be in a long sleeves shirt (he is wearing a kilt). Maybe he could wear creeper shoes or have as previously suggested his hair in wedding colours? Or mismatched shirt

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

Neither myself or H are traditional people, for our wedding he wore this, with black lace up trousers and a red shirt:

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

My H has tattoos and usually wears baggy jeans and skate trainers - but for our wedding he wore a traditional three piece suit and I loved it. People know his personality anyway, he didn't feel silly. I don't see the need to be different for the sake of it - we don't feel the need to be OMG MUST LOOK ALTERNATIVE AT ALL TIMES anymore. That said OP, talk to your dad - I'm sure you'll easily get a vibe for what he wants to do.

• K
    Beginner August 2015
    Kerrypug ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I've asked him and he just said 'I'll wear whatever you want', until I mentioned the groomsmen are wearing tails, he said 'that's fine, I'll look silly but that's fine.' So by process of elimination I'm getting closer to what he'd be comfortable in.

I think I'm just gonna get his measurements and go and buy a suit that he can keep and get it tailored if needs be, with some punky cufflinks, and whatever shoes/boots he wants! Who'd have thought it would be harder to sort my dad out than myself!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

I think a punk in a three piece suite would be an awesome photo....

Peter

• S
    soosiebloo ·
    • Hide content

My eldest daughter and her sister (only bridesmaid) wore knee high and ankle Doc Martins with 50's style tea length dresses and looked amazing. Your Dad could have some tartan trousers or waistcoat made to wear with his suit. All the best men (son in law had 3) wore different outfits including a kilt and her Dad wore a 60's style suit with a mandarin collar.

For my youngest daughters wedding I may wear converse (she is wearing them) at the moment her Dad is considering wearing them too !!!!!!

Hope it all works out go with what you like not what people expect

• E
    Beginner October 2015
    elvira-darkside ·
    • Hide content

My dad isnt one for dressing up. he was going to just dig out his 'old suit'(which i suspect is his funeral suit....). i told him id prefer it if he wore his 1960's leather jacket. i have always loved it (lol, and borrowed it a few times!) its really important to me that my dad is comfortable on the day. bit funny when he tried it on though, he may have had a few mars bars and thorntons cookies since 1968. he blamed the snugness on 'wearing two jumpers'. bless him, he had a t shirt and a thin longsleeve top on!

there will be a wide range of guests wearing allsorts, our theme being 'dark decadence and gothic glamour'. anything goes!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I think it's really lovely that you are putting your Dad's feelings first and thinking about what he'd be comfortable in rather than matching! Might be nice for the two of you to go shopping together so he can try a few on?

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought about a frock coat - a bit steam punk/alternative - you could add a waistcoat (if he wanted one). Colours could tone with the groom and other men but don't need to match.

• K
    Beginner August 2015
    Kerrypug ·
    • Hide content

Celtic - if he would feel daft in tails he'd definately feel daft in a frock coat haha! He's proper punk rock so steam punk would be way out there for him.

If he's not got anything already that he'd like to wear I've seen some 3-piece suits with a bit of a check design that will match and look fancy but aren't too out there. As someone said earlier, I think a punk would look great in a suit - very contrasting and he does scrub up very well.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics