Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner September 2014

Putting money behind the bar

helensweeney, 21 of August of 2014 at 21:13 Posted on Planning 0 8

I need a bit of advice about how to tell guests that there is money behind the bar and that it's limited to drinks that aren't cocktails or doubles etc. We aren't serving wine with the meal during the wedding, but instead we've decided to put money behind the bar. That way people can have what they want to drink (up to a point). We don't want to give vouchers out. We are giving out an order of events for the evening, so I want to put something in that about that fact that there is money behind the bar, but only to point. Anyway, any suggestions on the best way to word it. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

8 replies

Latest activity by Kihec24, 14 of April of 2024 at 10:58
  • H
    Beginner October 2015
    hallowedding ·
    • Hide content

I've been to a wedding where they had a sign on an easel next to the bar which said something like 'please feel free to have a drink on us but remember, no shots, doubles or bubles'

we had shots and paid for them but our standard drinks were free.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't say anything & just give instructions to the bar staff about what the money can be used on. They'll soon find out. Or are you doing a printed menu - could you put a note on the bottom & tell them help themselvesto a selected drinks? X

• kiwi_girl
    Beginner May 2015
    kiwi_girl ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Chucklevision - just give instructions to the bar staff. The guests will soon work it out.

• Howeaboutthat
    Savvy November 2021 Gloucestershire
    Howeaboutthat ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't tell guests there's money behind the bar perhaps the first drink is on us...

When you go to an all inclusive place they have drinks menus showing the free.selections .. And states anything else that is chargeable? Could do something along those lines?

Or how about give the ushers a task going around asking what people would like to drink for their first drink that way.. You have control?

• H
    Beginner September 2014
    helensweeney ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for the advice. I love the no shots, doubles or bubbles. That's a nice way to put it. I"ll get the bar staff to manage it and like you say the guests will work it out. Thanks for all your help everyone.

• L
    Beginner January 1998
    LisaLum ·
    • Hide content

A little note saying "This is a pi$$ up, not a pi$$ take" ?

• S
    Beginner November 2014
    Sazzle24 ·
    • Hide content

I've worked so many weddings and always say to guests (after clear instructions from the bride and groom) first drink is on them. If they order a double I just let them know it's just singles etc. most guests usually know what's expected but you do get the odd cheeky one. Make sure all staff know what the deal is with drinks and will run smoothly xx

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We didn't tell anyone, just instructed the bar staff about the 'no bubbles, doubles or shots' rule.

Our guests were all pretty much big social drinkers and if we had announced a free bar, it would barely have lasted an hour! By not announcing it, it meant they tended to finish the wine on the tables first.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics