Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Funky*
Beginner January 2001

Q.Q Funerals??? Morbid Monday, Light hearted.

*Funky*, 18 March, 2013 at 17:03 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 21

Firstly excuse my ignorance but this is a subject I know very little about.

Inspired partly by the frequent debate that occurs over on WP about the use of churches by non religious folk as a wedding venue.

What happens at an atheists funeral? is there such a thing? is a funeral a religious thing? is there an alternative like with weddings a 'civil funeral' where a non religious person conducts a ceremony?

Luckily I have only needed to attend 2 cremations and they were CofE and had a little ceremony before in an adjoining chapel.

Any atheists among us given this much thought (hopefully not something we will have to consider for many years)?

MY OH says I need to burn him then take his ashes to the Maldives to feed the fish ? (assuming he goes first of course)

21 replies

Latest activity by Mrs Bass, 19 March, 2013 at 13:59
  • *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

There is a non religious funeral place near me, it is where we had Nan's funeral. It was beautiful.

http://colneywoodlandburials.co.uk/park-gallery/

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Some kind of simple send off in a public burial/cremation space.

Boy has strict instructions to do whatever is most ecologically sound with me.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

My grandad was a staunch athiest and he had a non religious funeral at the crematorium. The funeral director led the service, my dad read a poem which my auntie had written and they played his favourite song on a CD player. It was over 10 years ago now so I can't remember all the details but there *may* have been a very short blessing read by a minister.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

My nana had a humanist ceremony at her funeral. She was a very unreligious person especially for her generation (she was 94 when she died) and we were sure she wouldn't have liked a religious ceremony.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

I've been to a few humanist funerals as many members of my family aren't religious.

Humanist funerals spend time talking about the person, their interests, their achievements and their families. Or at least the ones I've attended did. All times they were at a crematorium.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

When my friend died he was cremated, I dont think that funeral had any religious references to it, its hard to remember.

I asked this the other day as I dont want people to pray for me when Im dead, chuff all use it would be then anyhow.

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

I've been to a couple of humanist funerals recently and that is totally the way I want to go. All about the person which is, IMO, the way it should be.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

My dad was atheist but my mum is CofE, so she had him cremated with a few hymns. I counterbalanced this religious intrusion by playing the Beatles for him ? The officiant was a friend of mum's, and some type of preacher bod rather than a full on vicar/minister. He kept it more spiritual and talked about my dad's life and family (and also called him by his twin brother's name a few times by accident which was quite a shock for my uncle sitting there!)

Since OH refuses to talk about our deaths, it is impossible to get a plan sorted, but I think I would like every possible organ donated and then a cremation, ashes scattered wherever anyone fancies. Take me on a picnic or something up in the wild moors of Bronte Country. I should probably write this somewhere official rather than Hitched!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Oh that was a lot more straight forward then I was thinking.

Thanks all Hitched once again ever the wealth of knowledge!

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Hmm now that's made me think. If an atheist wants to be buried, not cremated, what are the options? As far as I know, cemeteries are on consecrated ground. I've never been to a non Christian burial. Do atheists have to be cremated? Don't they have a choice?

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that you can be buried in public cemeteries, which are owned/run by the council rather than a church, with a non-religious ceremony, usually organised through a funeral director. This is what my council says about it: http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200032/deaths_funerals_and_cremations/162/arranging_a_burial

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Canley Cemetary isn't a religious cemetary (not that I'll be burnt or buried there, but it's a reference point you might recognise).

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Thanks both. I've never been to a non churchy burial funeral, so genuinely didn't know this. Personally I want to be buried in the little church graveyard where my grandparents are and where I think my parents will have ashes buried (I think they both want cremation but not sure about Dad) so it doesn't relate to me, but the thread got me thinking!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your wishes are something I've pondered over. Not everyone can buried with parents and with partners. My grandparents are paired together and buried in their hometown cemetaries (and therefore in my individual parents' hometowns). I should ask my parents really, whether they want to be together in one of those places, separated, or together in an entirely new place. Bit of a difficult topic to bring up though.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

My Step Dad wasn't religious. We had a non religious service for him, at a crematorium. His ashes were burried in a church remembrance garden. We weren't asked or told they would be burried there, we assumed his ashes would be burried in the council run cemetery. My Mums house backs on to the cemetery, and she says that when she dies, I should just throw her over the fence. ?

• Agouti
    Beginner September 2013
    Agouti ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Brookwood Cemetery near me has sections for types of faith so everyone can choose between coffin burial, woodland burial or scattered ashes.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I didn't realise they buried ashes all the cremations i have been to scattered the ashes in the wind so to speak. I remember feeling mortified when the priest ask me if I wanted a turn with the giant pepper pot type thing.

• Agouti
    Beginner September 2013
    Agouti ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it depends on the crematorium - my grandad's ashes were scattered on top of the grass in the shape of a cross so they blew away gradually. My other grandparents had their ashes buried in a specified plot.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I want all my organs that are not knackered donated, then it'll be a service in my church. Hopefully I'll be buried in the local graveyard but I'm not sure how many spaces are left!

I've already chosen the music!

My friend and his siblings received an envelope from their Gran one Christmas - they thought yay a cheque - but it was actually their plot she'd bought them in the cemetary!!!

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not at all helpful but I read this as 'bum' him.

I've been to a couple of humanist funerals and they were lovely (well as funerals can be).

I'd have a C of E funeral, and would like them to sing Abide with Me (it's my fave) and All things bright and beautiful (as it was sung as my nan's).

But then I'd be dead, so if that didn't happen there's not a lot I could do about it!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? no bods not into necrophilia

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

My mum is very keen on a humanist ceremony and she has said if we pay for a coffin to cremate her, we are fools!

for a while she was keen on the idea of donating her body to medical research. not sure if she is still considering this.

I know I would want a humanist ceremony too but Ive no idea what i want done with my body. might leave it to who I leave behind to surprise me! It's not like i'll know or care!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics