Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Fenella Fudge
Beginner June 2008

QQ-Females flown either to Dubai or via Dubai

Fenella Fudge, 15 August, 2009 at 18:15 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 5

Hi,

We're off to the Maldives in 3 weeks and have just been reading about how strict the Dubai authorities are with drugs.

We're only stopping there for a connection flight but bags will be moved from one plane to another. Anyhow just been checking our medicines etc on UAE's banned list and found out that my contraceptive pill contains Ethinylestradoil which UAE deem as being a Class B drug and therefore banned without prior authorisation.

I will need to carry a pill on me as its a long flight and will be flying when I would normally take it.

Do I really have to ring up for permission and declare at Customs?

Has anyone got any experience of this?

TIA.

5 replies

Latest activity by cha-cha, 16 August, 2009 at 10:57
  • em-ster
    Beginner July 2008
    em-ster ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

We travelled via Dubai to Thailand last year and had a 4hr stop over, during which time I had my pill with me without any issue whatsoever

I was on Dianette at the time and so read the same info as you and was a bit perplexed

In reality there was absolutely nothing to worry about, however if you want to cover your back you could ask your GP for proof of prescription or something similar

Hth

• Fenella Fudge
    Beginner June 2008
    Fenella Fudge ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the reply.

So you just carried your normal packet in your bag? I'm thinking I need to hide a single pill in my shoe or something ? hmmm...maybe that will get me into more trouble.

I dont really want to have to bother contacting my gp etc plus they charge whenever you ask them for proof etc.

Oh well maybe I'll just be a smuggler ?

• em-ster
    Beginner July 2008
    em-ster ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yup. Like you I figured one lone pill would look somehow dodgier if found

I'll bet there are oodles of travellers passing through who don't even give this a second thought and tbh, I'd completely forgotten about it til I read your post

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hi FF,

Long time no see, how are you doing? BTW after seeing your Flo and Percy headband I was obsessed and ended up getting myself a treat from them! You were a very bad influence on me over on WP!

We were in Dubai in transit for our next flight on the way to Borneo and then stopped in Dubai on the way back for 4 days and I had very illegal drugs with me but I needed them just like you do. I had codeine and amitriptyline which could have landed me in jail I read.

I spoke to my GP who said they wouldn't write any letter because it wouldn't do any good. Their rules are rules and couldn't be broken on any circumstances! Another GP who I work with said not to risk it even in transit but I decided to take the chance. Call me stupid but anyway no one said anything to me.

I did make sure I had the packet with my details on it and the chemist details but I doubt it would have mattered if they really had objected.

That doesn't really help but I'd just take the packet and box on the flight.

Lx

• Ladelley
    Beginner August 2008
    Ladelley ·
    • Hide content

I've flown through Dubai 8 times and never had a bag check. If you're a transit passenger then your bags are sent straight from one plane to the next. I think CDG and Ho Chi Minh are the only airpots I've been through where bags were checked as a transit passenger.

Obviously the risk is yours to take so you have to make the decision, but I've taken the pill codiene and sedatives through without even thinking about it.

If I had to clear customs, then it would be a different matter.

• cha-cha
    Beginner July 2007
    cha-cha ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

I was in Dubai a few years ago, and like another poster, was on Dianette at the time.

I left mine in my suitcase, in the box which had the prescription details printed on it.

I never had any problems/ issues.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics