Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Queensberry Albums

5 September, 2012 at 21:26 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi

Does anybody know roughly how much the Qeensberry albums cost, and how difficult it would be to put together an album from a disc of wedding photos? I'm just wondering if it would be more cost effective to go for a photographers disc only package and sort our own album!

Thanks x

13 replies

Latest activity by bec84, 7 September, 2012 at 10:27
  • Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Gosh, it's been a while since we've been on there, but I *think* from what I remember its around £150 (It may well be more actually) for a leather covered album, and then £15+ per page for something that's around 10x10 in size. Those are not exact figures by any means, just within the range I recall. If you're wanting something bigger, prices for pages and covers will also increase.

I think you also then have to pay for things like the presentation box, colour correction and if you want embossing etc. There's also the possibility that VAT may then go on after that too?

If you're looking at a Queensberry, £500 COST price is around the minimum figure id suggest you had in mind. Although if you'd like it designed professionally by your photographer, expect that price to be significantly higher (I think some of the album COST prices run into the thousands, let alone after design fees and mark ups)

It can take hours upon hours to design an album- it's not quick and it's not fun!

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

If you wanted a queensberry then you would have to go through a photographer as they don't deal with bride and grooms direct, they check past weddings, website and company details.

Also to order your first album I believe you need to order a pack of sample albums from them. Album price wise your easily looking at them being £450 plus, the advantage is they don't need to charge vat for them as they are classed as books. Queensberry are possibly the most expensive suppliers I have come across an their prices quickly raise when you ad better covers or more pages on.

It depends On the togs prices you could get the cd and shop around for the album.

• A
    andrewj ·
    • Hide content

Hi Epic,

Greenleaf is correct, most of the major album manufacturers (queensbury, jorgenson, graphi etc) won't supply albums to the general public only to professional photographers. There are other options for making your own albums though try looking on the calumet website for the more 'traditional' style ones) or somewhere online like Blurb for a coffee table style storybook album.

Andrew

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Jorgensen are around £500 with Queensberry being around £1000.

I use Jorgensen but the difference between the two brands is hardly noticeable. If you are making them yourself try Bob Books or Photocreator.

Avoid Blurb like the plague.

Jorgensen and Queensberry don't deal with couples directly, (a lot of the major brands don't as they want to deal with pros who understand files dimensions, sizes and colour proofing).

Albums of any quality are an absolute minefield of options and styles too, long term, laminated paper is more resilient to kids with mucky fingers and the more options you have, the more chance the album will date over time. I guess that's what I like about the premium albums, they let the images do the story telling.

I did at one point consider stopping albums altogether as they're a pain in the bum. Although I cover almost 50 weddings a year I only do 5-10 albums and most who want an album take several months (literally) to decide on which images to go inside, (which can be chosen in an afternoon). This is a problem as I'm the guy designing the album so I want the memory of their day fresh in my mind. The longer they take to decide the less of a personal touch is present in the album. I'll design an album, send the proof to the couple and it's three weeks before I hear back with any changes.

It's very frustrating. lol.

• Hide content

Paying the mortgage, a holiday or putting the photos on facebook....

Now whilst there are those who are anti fb, 90% of the people who you want to see your photos are probably online. You get miles more exposure on there than any album at home. You can't tag people in an album.

The really really nice ones go in frames on the wall.

• missmandymoo
    Dedicated August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Why's this Chris? I'm planning on going for a disc only photography package as I'm a Graphic Designer by trade so prefer to create my own album. After looking at loads of photo book sites, Blurb was my favourite because of the control I will have over the layout as they are the only one I've seen that allow me to upload a high-res PDF, others makes you use their software. Also I like the ProLine range where you can chose higher grade paper, end sheet and different linen covers.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

I did a boudoir shoot for a lady and I ordered a simple 20 page book, one image on each facing page with all the options. The paper and cover quality were fine but the print quality was awful. On one page you could see the white of the paper through the ink (the printer had missed a spot). Colours were dull too.

I sent everything over according to spec, nice bright images, correct colour space...everything.

The final straw though was the pages on this book (It was a square one) were held together with a fat staple in the middle along the binding which you could feel through the (upgraded) cover.

The client was happy with it, but frankly I've never seen a book as bad. Just to make sure I wasn't mad I ordered a book from Photobox and it came in as it should of looked at least. Although the cover was quite cheap.

• missmandymoo
    Dedicated August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Chris, I will bear that in mind. I have heard some mixed reviews about Blurb. I'll check out the two you recommended. Another one that I have been looking at is Yophoto as they offer a wedding package which is perfect as I can give albums to my mum and mother in law too

Have you used them before?

• A
    andrewj ·
    • Hide content

To be honest none of these albums can compare with one that is unfortunately for 'pros' only.......... but, as a designer you must know or have worked with some photographers - if so, can you ask if any of them has access to some of these manufacturers & could get you an album at cost if you design it yourself? I've been in the photo industry & worked with a lot of designers over the years & something like this has never been been a problem.

please get in touch if you need to

Andrew

• missmandymoo
    Dedicated August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah I supposed I could ask around, I'm not sure how many of them if any deal with album manufacturers but it is worth asking.

I have just come across Loxley Colour who produce albums for pros but will also allow one-off orders. Are they any good?

• A
    andrewj ·
    • Hide content

I would say yes - I use them for all my prints for albums to walls (which I & clients are happy with) & I also use the Bellissimo perfetto album - which is their graphistudio equivalent, I've seen both at the same time & I don't really think there is a noticeable difference, it's just that Loxley are much easier to deal with.

And

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Just a few things to add - firstly it's only digitally printed albums which don't have VAT added, any matted albums are subject to the usual 20%. Also, the albums Queensberry are most well known for are their more traditional matted albums, or the duo albums which are a mix of matted & digital spreads. Graphistudio albums are digital print, so you can't really compare them. For any matted album you're looking at a significant price increase as they take longer to manufacture - the Queensberry matted albums for example are all made by hand. As others have mentioned, they only supply to pro photographers, so if you did want a Queensberry album your best bet is to find a photographer who offers them. They are amazing though, we spent a long time researching different high end manufacturers, and for us they were head & shoulders above the other top of the range matted albums.

Ali x

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

We use Loxley and Graphistudio. I really like the lovely books, and the service they offer is fantastic! We use Loxley a lot more than we use Graphistudio as I think that the value for money and turnaround time is fantastic, we only use Graphistudio for the "storybooks"

We use the Bellissimo range at Loxley

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics