Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katrina
Dedicated February 2025 West Midlands

Query about contacting relevant authorities about name change

Katrina, 4 of May of 2024 at 21:22 Posted on Planning 0 4
I have been looking through my Wedding Planner. It says at 1-3 months to contact relevant authorities about surname. Not to sure what this means. I would have thought it would be after the wedding where you then request your surname to be changed. E.g at bank, doctors, passport etc. I will be going on my Honeymoon on my old surname. Look forward to any clarity.

4 replies

Latest activity by Katrina, 8 of May of 2024 at 16:17
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

That sounds weird - I wonder if it is a wedding planner published for another country where they have different rules. I didn't change my name until after the wedding, and the banks etc needed to see the wedding certificate to make the change, so I don't see how you can do it beforehand.

The only exception is the passport, where it is possible to apply for one in your married name before the ceremony so that you can travel abroad immediately under your new name. But if that's what they're referring to, it's odd that they didn't just say so!

• Dani
    Hitched Admin October 2025 East Central London
    Dani ·
    • Hide content

Hey Katrina,

Dani from Hitched here 🙋🏼‍♀️

Check out our helpful guide and checklist to changing your name here!

• Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ah could be right there didnt think of that. Could apply to another part of the world. We have our notice of marriage in November time we get wed in Feb.
  • Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Dani very useful articleSmiley smile.
    I have saved some of the info to notes to remind me. Also I was going to say wedding certificates have changed now I hear its electronic.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics