Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

jen-lou
Super July 2016

Question for the invitation DIY'ers

jen-lou, 21 of January of 2014 at 14:25 Posted on Planning 0 21

Hi all,

I want to make my own invitations, i've been looking to do the pocket fold ones, i've done a mini mock-up from A5 paper i had lying roundso they are easy enough to make, but my question to those who have already made their invitations (and it may sound a bit of a mad question), how big (as in paper size) did you make yours?

21 replies

Latest activity by Trish2014, 22 of January of 2014 at 20:59
  • ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Yes exactly as Bonnie says - it's really not worth it. PDA are excellent, huge choice and reasonable prices.

In answer to your question regarding size - I pocket folds I do are 130mm square.

• emjjarvy
    Beginner September 2014
    emjjarvy ·
    • Hide content

Mine were 13.5 cm square when folded (not pocket fold, just a normal folded card) with RSVP cards and return addressed envelopes inside (7.5x5cm) x

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

Hmm...thanks guys, will have another look on there ?, back to the drawing board so to speak.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

This might help btw, free printable invites, forget the faff of making your own!!

https://offbeatwed.com/diy-wedding-printables/

• D
    Beginner April 2014
    DaisyDot ·
    • Hide content

Not really helpful as I didn't have pocketfolds but just wanted to chip in that I used PDA craft as my supplier and they were awesome, ridiculously helpful and most definitely worked out cheaper (and more importantly less stress!!) than if we (or I!!) were to have made them all ourselves from scratch.

• P
    Beginner June 2014
    Pix-e ·
    • Hide content

Mine are A6 size...so around the size of a 6x4 photo...i am having a gate type card tied with ribbon and then separate inserts inside with different info on each. Thatway it can fit into an envelope without being too bulky. It's lots of fun doing your own but time consuming to make sure you plan it properly Smiley smile Good luck Smiley smile

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Don't do it!!

I had my OH my mum and MIL all helping.

Dont get me wrong really impressed when they were finished but the amount of people that just didn't send the RSVP back or lost it.

Really got me down that the amount of time that was spent on making them, really pissed me off.

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

Most of my pocketfolds are printed or include personalisation so I tend not to buy those and make them myself. They are quite hard to make. You need to get the sizing just right but look fab completed.

The most popular sizes are 17x11 (double fold)

and 14x14 singlefold pocketfolds

I would recommend, if you are not going to print on them to buy them in at places like PDA. Will save a LOT of time.

Nat

• cantwait2bmrsj
    Beginner September 2014
    cantwait2bmrsj ·
    • Hide content

I made pocketfolds for my friends invites. They were 14.5cm square and I cut them from a2 size paper. It was hard work but they looked lovely when they were all done. They had a flap over the front and one inside for holding the little cards. For my own I'm just making tentfold ones and slipping in a little RSVP card with the details of our website. I've never bought the premade ones but lots of good recommendations on here if u decided to do that instead

• Jens Hand Crafted Stationery
    Jens Hand Crafted Stationery ·
    • Hide content

I would say if your going to make your own invitations, then make sure you can find envelopes to fit!

I would work the size of your pocket fold around the envelope sizes.

xx

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

I made my own pocketfolds, but used a normal card which was 147mm square (only just finished so that's fresh in my mind! They came with envelopes of course and then I made the pocket bit out of a separate piece of patterned card.

• S
    Beginner April 2014
    sophiesofa ·
    • Hide content

Mine are a6 laser cut single sided (not open out card shape so like a postcard sort of). I'm lucky as I have a laser cutter at work though!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Ooh they are lovely Trish. I wanted pocket fold but it seemed too expensive or cost too much. Instead I've gone for A6 card and added two corners either side of the bottom at the back to keep the cards in (not sure if that makes sense?!).

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! Yes, that makes complete sense. The expense was the main reason why I just bought plain cards too, then I just got one of those big pads of patterned card and it worked a treat!

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the rest of the comments guys, you've all given me so many more options ?, but think geting plain cards (with envelopes) and adding the pocket yourself might be a good option. When I showed my OH the mini mock-up that I made he said (jokingly) we can seal it with wax, but when i said we can get a personalised one made and do that, he thought it was a good idea, so I think if we go down the normal card and add the pocket we can seal the envelope instead of the invite (if that makes any sense

@Trish2014

was it easy enough to add the "pocket" part yourself and did you have to cut down the inserts to fit?

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I got my pocketfolds from PDA and they are excellent. They came really quickly and are excellent quality.

For the inserts, I just did them in Word. I created boxes in the Word doc to the right size, put all my info in and then printed on A4 card and cut to size. I won't lie, cutting the inserts did take a while but if you've got plenty of time you'll have no issues. It worked out sooo much cheaper than buying them even from ebay. And I've had all my RSVPs back too ?

• K
    Beginner April 2014
    kazsimp ·
    • Hide content

Hi Jen, I will also be making my own pocketfold invitations as I love the look and am definitely a DIY kind of bride. I designed my template to make sure I could make it out of A4 card as this is easier to find and cheaper. The template I have done fits quite well and then the final invite fits into a 5x7 envelope. Let me know if you want the measurements, I'd be happy to send these over to you. Hope this helps x

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Kazsimp,

if you could, that would be great ?, if you want to send it to me over email, the best one to use is *********@*******.***.

Thanks,

Jen

• K
    Beginner April 2014
    kazsimp ·
    • Hide content

No problem Jen, I'll draw it out and send over later! Oh and thanks for your reply on my post x

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks. No worries hun, glad to help. ?

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep - really easy! I just used a craft knife and a ruler and stuck them on with double sided sellotape. :o)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics