Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Question for TOGS - just curious....

21 June, 2013 at 09:47 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hey TOGS

Just wondered if you have any opinions of Brides getting ready shots that at their home or parent houses.

I may frequent a wedding blog or two and nearly always the bride is getting ready it an an amazing hotel suite or fancy cottage, do you still get good getting ready/ just got into my dress shots in a little three-bed semi?

I am staying at my parents the night before the wedding and I will be getting ready there, I would not change this for the world as it was the house I grew up in, but wondering what to expect from my getting ready shots and the shots where you first have your dress on etc....

15 replies

Latest activity by Peter, 21 June, 2013 at 17:55
  • Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

It's about the light more than anything else. I've only ever had trouble once when it ws a galley style front room with 4 people and two hair dressers in.

With one window and some really strong overhead lighting. Most of the time I'm outside shooting the details though rather than sharing the same space.

I wouldn't be too concerned either as the house has special importance. Anything you get will have so so much more meaning and relevance to you than a wide open space elsewhere and thus the photos will be great. A good tog will deliver Smiley smile

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Not a tog, but I got ready at my parents' house and love the photos I got. It's especially good that our tog got some photos of my family rushing around too... one of my cousins still has the one of him as his profile pic on FB, 2 years on!

• Laura DeBourde
    Laura DeBourde ·
    • Hide content

A year or two ago I did the getting ready shots for a bride who was in a little house that was overcrowded and I got along fine in the end. As Chris says, it all depends on the light!

I would say it doesn't matter to be honest, if they're a good photographer and know what they're doing, you'll be fine. Smiley smile I'm sure you'll be happy anyway, especially if the house is the house you grew up in and is important to you.

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was thinking about this!! My dresses will be hung on my mom and dads wardrobe. Not grand at all. My TOG said if I wanted to get props, like a coat stand or a free-standing mirror, I could. I don't know anyone with these though and I can't afford to buy one, so wardrobe it is!! I think my parents house is good for light, I hope so!! I know our kitchen at least isn't so, I won't be getting ready there, phew! I'm also worries about space. 4bed house, but only one bit of open space in all the bedrooms, dining room for makeup artist but I have no idea where to stick my hair dressers, should the lounge be used as a lounge or a salon/lounge, I don't want to stick her upstairs because its all a bit seperate, think I have no choice to be honest, but I am worrying about the background bits in the photos. It's all these little things!!

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Definitely not ? It's all about telling the story of the day and the emotions, and whether you get ready at home or in a fancy hotel, it'll still be full of excitement and that's what a good photographer will capture for you. The wedding blogs tend to focus on the more "grand" weddings, and less normal ones - so the ones you see on there are often the more unusual!

We've photographed a lot of bridal preps in small houses and they've always been fine. If you can put your dress on in the biggest room that really helps for full length shots, and just be flexible about where you may need to do things to get the best shots, and if the rooms are quite small then try to keep the clutter to a minimum.

Hope that helps put your mind at rest ?

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Noooo. I love being in the couples house or at their Parents. A small staircase doesn't mean a rubbish shot, this is one of my favourites....

She also got ready in her kitchen and dressed in a VERY small room, so small I had to stand on the bed ?

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Haha, you asked for it... Sorry if they're huge!

• Laura DeBourde
    Laura DeBourde ·
    • Hide content

A little flash from Emma's, who was also in a 2 bed semi ?

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

Mine were taken in our house and the background does show things like photos & various remanants of a real house on the morning of a wedding which I love! In the background of one of my shots, you can see my graduation picture on the cabinet & I love it! On the other hand, there is a pic of me 'fixing' my bouquet at the kitchen table & there is some noticeable evidence that my bridesmaids enjoyed the sandwiches, chocolate and tea provided for them! Not bad though but my mum was mortified that the table was messy!

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I have mostly shot bridal prep at people's homes and I love the personal element of it, like I'll do some of the detail shots in the context of the family home with their pictures in the background etc. so it's a nice memory of both the wedding day and their daily lives Smiley smile

Not that I overthink this or anything!?

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting ready at home and although my photographer isn't doing bridal prep my best friend is a very keen amateur and will be doing it for me. She loves doing detail shots and will capture it all beautifully I'm sure. I suspect she will also do the embarrassing "look at what a slob she really is" photos too with yesterdays dishes still in the sink but it will reflect us perfectly.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I keep saying that when you are being shown a "whole wedding" by a potential photographer don't just accept what you are being shown as just like those blogs they are all hand picked and that's why they are all in those fantastic venues on a sunny day which is easy to photograph, if you really want to see how good a photographer is ask to see one where they got ready at mum and dads and had the reception in a village hall on an overcast day, not saying for second there is anything wrong with a village hall but that is more like reallife than the inspirational blogs in stately homes.
    Almost all of my Church weddings will be getting ready in Mum and Dads or their own house which I think is really nice especially at Mum and Dads as it means a lot, not sure about bringing in extra props and things as then its not real anymore.
    Any good photographer will see a potential anywhere and the skill is being able to work with what you have got- that's being a wedding photographer. MUA usually gravitate to the window for light as do I, light is not usually a problem but clutter from 5 people getting ready can be but a quick tidy up in the area I want to use is usually good enough I dont want it fake but I dont want it distracting.
    Here is one with the dress hanging next to the graduation pic which I kept in on purpose

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

This wedding had some really tiny rooms:

http://chrisgilesphotography.co.uk

• skinnyboyweddings
    skinnyboyweddings ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love the shot of the clutch in the dishwasher!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Never underestimate how good home can be........I have been to some less than great hotel rooms and some fantastic homes....Pros get on with whatever and wherever you decide.

Below is a recent image of a bridesmaid (from a hitchers wedding) having make up applied. Available light, so no flash or supplementary lighting and the shot is literally straight out of the camera with no photoshopping.....the eyes though with a big window facing them work well.....

Peter

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics