Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

charliebucket
Beginner May 2013

Question: When do you give your wedding party their gifts?

charliebucket, 23 of April of 2012 at 12:31 Posted on Planning 0 14

This may seem like a silly question but I always thought that you gave our gifts during the speeches but have got the impression from reading the forums on hitched that this is done in the morning of the wedding?

So what is the norm when it comes to giving out wedding gift?

Thanks Charlotte xx

14 replies

Latest activity by charliebucket, 23 of April of 2012 at 18:53
  • N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

We are giving our bms and groomsmen things they can wear on the day so it will be the morning for us. For the mums/parents, we will do that during the speeches I expect.

• B
    Beginner May 2012
    bethbailey2b ·
    • Hide content

Im doing both.

The guirls are getting earrings in teh morning, then a gift bag of bits during the speeches.

The boys are getting little minitures and cufflinks in the morning and a gift later on.

• Mrs Mack
    Beginner May 2012
    Mrs Mack ·
    • Hide content

We were going to do it at the speeaches but since we have 5 BMs, 4 ushers, a best man, 4 parents and three helper-outers to thank we thought it would get a bit boring. So we are giving ours in the morning and just mentioning thanks in the speech, saves time and gives you private time to give your thank you gifts to your special people xx

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

We are just having family our ceremony so we are giving the gifts during afternoon tea post ceremony.

This will be before the 150 evening guests arrive. The speeches will be in the evening and so we won't have any more presents to give then, but I think they will appreciate having the time to open their gifts with just close family.

• charliebucket
    Beginner May 2013
    charliebucket ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies. I am getting my mum a my mum jornal so thought that would be better done in the morning when its just to two of us but then felt a bit bad if all the other gifts are done in the evening and it will look like she hasnt recieved anything even though she will understand this. I guess I could get her something extra as well.

There is only family present for our ceremony and wedding breakfast when the speechs will be done so i guess this would be ok

?

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

We are giving our pressies in the morning for BMs and best man as they are items to wear on the day. We have bouquets to give the mum's during the speeches.

• charliebucket
    Beginner May 2013
    charliebucket ·
    • Hide content

Well our plan is a journal for my mum, personalised hip flask for best man, we have 2 little flower girls/bridemaids who we were thinking of getting a personalised name necklase each and flowers for my other halfs mum as she is helping with the stationary. So most could be done either way I guess xx

• TamarValleyGirl
    Beginner May 2013
    TamarValleyGirl ·
    • Hide content

I was BM at a wedding on Saturday, and the B&G thanked people individually and personally in the speeches, and then went round the room in the evening giving gifts to everyone who had helped them. They thanked a lot of people - it would have taken ages if they gave out gifts as part of the speeches!

• anothermrsjones
    Beginner July 2012
    anothermrsjones ·
    • Hide content

We were going to give them all on the morning but OH's mum will be staying with me so I think it would be nicer if he was there to give her the present we chose. We also have waaaay too many bridesmaids to do it all in the speeches so we will be giving ours out at the rehearsal the night before.

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    Mrswebb2b ·
    • Hide content

We are doing it before, for the parents it will be the days leading up to and then for the bridesmaids, best man etc it will be the morning of.

We have done the parents, hampers with a wedding day rose bush, their favourite tipple, some other bits for their gardens as they are all in to gardening and we have got wooden crates and that i have white washed and am going to stencil our wedding date on. i wouldnt want to hand them out during speeches as i dont know what they would do with them for the rest of the day!

Im getting my dad a little something extra like cufflinks because he gave us quite a bit towards the wedding and my mum a little extra as she has helped me no end.

Then also for the mums/grans we have wrote on the place name that the centre piece on their table is for them to take home and enjoy

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

We did ours during the speeches. I must admit though, that we didn't do seperate "dad" gifts. How we worked it was that the BM's got an initial necklace, the Best Man (was a late stand in as the original choice had to back out ) insisted we didn't buy him anything as we had paid for his suit. Mums got a bouquet of flowers each and as a "joint" to mum & dads we paid for a lovely album for them to put some of the wedding photos in.

Extra thankyou's (and glares afterwards as they were not expecting to recieve anything) went to the family friend who made the flowers (she got a bouquet of flowers), the aunt that made the small BM dress, and the aunt who decorated the cake (they got bouquets too)

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Morning/night before for us. As a guest, there's nothing more boring than sitting through speeches where dozens of presents are being given out, smiling and clapping politely when all you want to do is have your meal/buy a drink/go to the toilet!

• A
    Beginner September 2012
    amanda66 ·
    • Hide content

Well not one to follow tradition...

I am actually thinking of giving our presents out at the night time do but then don't know if thats a bit naff with regards to people looking after them etc.

I will give jewellery to the bridesmaid + flower girl in the morning.

I want to get my parents a weekend away (hopefully)

We may do it in the speeches (OH and I are doing a speech together...I think)

• charliebucket
    Beginner May 2013
    charliebucket ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your replies ladies, has helped alot Smiley smile xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics