Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ExpensiveRedHair47253
Beginner October 2021

Questioning venue and dress, argh!

ExpensiveRedHair47253, 14 of November of 2019 at 23:49 Posted on Planning 0 1

Looking for some advice - everyone says not to sweat the small stuff when it comes to weddings but I'm questioning the big stuff! In particular, the venue and my dress...

We booked our venue months ago after only viewing a handful. It's a modern luxury hotel with amazing service, but I've started wondering if we ought to have gone somewhere with more character, gardens/outdoor space etc. I also kind of wish I was getting married in a church or just somewhere a bit more symbolic (but OH didn't want a church wedding anyway). At least we won't need to worry about the weather (I'm almost hoping it'll rain so it'll feel cosy inside! It's an autumn wedding.)

Then there's my dress - I bought it last week and within a day was wondering if I'd made the right decision. On dress shopping day one, I found two possible contenders - one quite understated and probably reflected the shy version of me, and the other a more classic ballgown dress which reflected a more confident, social me! A few weeks later, I went to try both on again and decided to go for the ballgown one, after being stood there on a raised platform with my family all looking like they were about to burst with excitement. Before I knew it I was paying the deposit (50%) and suddenly realised I couldn't change my mind anymore... By the next day I was worried I'd picked a dress too 'big' and that I'd feel uncomfortable. There's not much I can do now because the deposit is not refundable. I've read other posts/stories about people hating their dress - well I do really LIKE it... but I guess I wanted that 'can't imagine wearing anything else' feeling. My family who were with me when I bought it have reassured me that I looked lovely and have made a great choice. Maybe I'm just being too perfectionist about it. I just can't help wondering 'what if' I'd just looked in one other shop...!

Has anyone got any advice?!

Thank you!

1 replies

Latest activity by ExpensiveRedHair47253, 21 of November of 2019 at 21:54
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I honestly can't remember much about any of the wedding venues I've been to as a guest. The memories that last are seeing the bride and groom get married and the conversations and laughter. So don't worry about the venue. No one is going to be sitting there going 'oh, if only the venue were more atmospheric'. You'll all be too busy celebrating and having a great time. And having outside space isn't that important for an autumn wedding - people are unlikely to want to be outside much anyway as it's too cold, especially in posh wedding outfits!

As for the dress - maybe you were pushed into buying something bigger than you would naturally have gone for. But your family loved it, so that's a pretty fair guarantee you look great in it. And I can guarantee your fiance will love you in it. And that's really all that matters.

In terms of wedding planning and the organisational 'stuff' that happens for a wedding, the dress and the venue are big. But in terms of you both making a lifelong commitment to each other, they're pretty small.

A few years back, I went to a wedding where just about everything went wrong - the final straw was when a small child crashed into the cake table and knocked the cake over just before it was due to be cut. Everyone commented on how unbothered the bride and groom were. The bride's response was 'We've got married and we're spending the rest of our lives together - that's all that matters'. That's the big stuff. Everything compared to that is pretty small! So don't worry - chill out and look forward to your big day.

• ExpensiveRedHair47253
    Beginner October 2021
    ExpensiveRedHair47253 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! That's made me feel so much better - you're absolutely right, as a guest you don't actually remember that much about the venue, it's really about how much fun you had. In fact, one of the most memorable weddings I've been to included a very rainy outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in a basic village hall, but with fantastic Ceilidh band - I remember it being so much fun.

Hopefully you're right about the dress too. I guess it can't be that bad if my family all liked it and I didn't feel super pressured, just influenced a bit more than I'd have liked. I'm actually thinking of buying a second, more low key dress to change into during the evening - nothing too expensive but maybe a really nice high street dress that's easier for dancing etc Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics