Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Snyffa
Beginner October 2013

Quirky evening activities?

Snyffa, 2 April, 2013 at 07:12 Posted on Planning 0 15

So i've been thinking about my evening reception.

often people will have disposable cameras....or a photo booth....or ive been to a wedding with an old fashioned instant camera, or cd's on tables for guests to give copies of all their photos to the B&G

I've been to weddings where there are giant board games, and guests books which are hanging trees i'm looking for something different....

There are weddings with candy floss, sweetie tables and popcorn makers....

Our photographer will be joining us in the evening, so will have photos of the lovely guests, and i will of course ask my friends and family to pass on their awesome digi shots but what else can I offer foe entertainment/keepsake value.

My SIL had the instant camera, and they have a scrap book with all the dodgy self taken photos etc and its just lovely. We are on a shoestring budget, but love to do things a differently.

What can we do at our evening reception?

15 replies

Latest activity by Babbo, 19 April, 2013 at 13:29
  • Cecdesigner
    Beginner August 2014
    Cecdesigner ·
    • Hide content

We are having a giant scalextrix. My H2B got a micro one for Christmas and it ties in with our F1 theme well. I might ask if they can bring some F1 goodies and a podium. Our tog is also staying for the evening and i am looking for some epic pictures of people enjoying the racing.

It was either the scalextric or move the wedding to a sunday when there was a race on!!!!!!!

Its a little different and it appears that at our hotel, we have a bit of a reputation for having an F1 themed wedding!!!

x

• Snyffa
    Beginner October 2013
    Snyffa ·
    • Hide content

That does sound epic Smiley laugh im not sure the activities associated with our "theme" would be that fantabulous lol.........Our wedding is Eco/friendly Pagan. We are having it around samhain/Halloween tho so maybe some apple bobbing Smiley tongue

x

• Cecdesigner
    Beginner August 2014
    Cecdesigner ·
    • Hide content

Lantern releasing

you could do a fair sor of thing with some stall games- hook the duck (Halloween twist), if your in to card readings have someone for that.

I would have thought an interactive range of activities- something that keeps

could you have some star gazing activities (weather dependant)

Dancing

Mask Making

(http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/angelline/samhain_activities.htm)

You could involve everyone in all the activities and the photos would be epic!!

x

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

I had inflatable guitars etc for the evening disco, which people loved. I didn't have a sweet buffet, I had one of those retro metal sweet dispensers (on free vend) and a massive tub of lollipops that dye your tongue. All well received by guests! To be honest, people were just dancing, chatting and having fun. Nobody that I saw looked bored or anything -just busy enjoying themselves!

• Snyffa
    Beginner October 2013
    Snyffa ·
    • Hide content

I possibly didnt word the OP correctly. Its not that I want to create entertainment for my guests as such because like you say there will be chatter and dancing etc, its more something fun that also creates take away memories for ourself. So like cameras, or guest books etc, just trying to think of something that isnt so overused like a traditional write in a book stuff

x

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Where abouts/ what type of venue are you having? Is there anywhere with a patch of naked land? Call me a hippy, but some sort of sapling planting thing might be nice if the venue would allow.... Xx

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

As for entertainment, 2 of our family blast from the past get together games are:

Donuts on strings - guests blindfolded and hands behind backs have to eat as much of a suspended sugared ring donut as possible in a given time

Chocolate race: large bar of chocolate, dice, knife and fork and dress up items needed. Guests roll the dice in turn. When they score a double six, they have to don the dressing up items (including socks or thick gloves on the hands) then run to the chocolate bar and cut as much off as possible to eat before the next person rolls a double six. Sounds cheesy and it is, but can get pretty manic, plus the adults generally like the game asmuch as the kids. Well, my lot always did but maybe that was down to nannas Christmas snowball drinks ;0)

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

A great idea that we saw recently was a dress up box in the corner of the dancefloor. At first on arrival I thought omg....but!

Once we'd finished playing the first dance the guests were straight in there!

It was so funny and everyone was grabbing wigs, glasses, moustaches on sticks, various different masks (some with just the top half of a head others of famous people). To this day I giggle at the mother of the bride dressed in all her best wearing a queen mask!

Something differemt!

Have a great day.

James.

• FlickAndZeb
    Beginner September 2013
    FlickAndZeb ·
    • Hide content

Are you hand tying?

You could have a giant canvas and leave some pens for people to draw and write on so you have a huge piece of artwork to keep forever.

or

You could collect some branches from your garden or the woods and put together your own mini tree and have people write on ribbons and tie them to it? The ribbon can be kept and the wood recycled or planted even though it won't grow just as a reminder of your special day Smiley smile

• F
    Beginner August 2013
    Frogface ·
    • Hide content

I've seen someone have a large canvas and different coloured paints. Guests leave a their finger print and write their name/little message. The couple have it up in their home and it's lovely!

• F
    Beginner August 2013
    Frogface ·
    • Hide content

I've seen someone have a large canvas and different coloured paints. Guests leave a their finger print and write their name/little message. The couple have it up in their home and it's lovely!

• Snyffa
    Beginner October 2013
    Snyffa ·
    • Hide content

Yes We are having a handfasting...

The fingerprint tree thing is lovely, but unfortunately a relative recently did this at the wedding, 5 months ago and they're now seperated :-/ eeeep!

I LOVE the chocolate game, I was also thinking the "cutting the flower cake" game Smiley laugh

x

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

A few of my brides have done this. Last weeks wedding had mini jenga blocks that people wrote on as that was a game they enjoyed. It was presented in a loved laser cut box.

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

Halloween masks is a given.

Pumpkin carving competition? Photos during and of completed lanterns with proud owners.

Boxes with 'something' inside. Guests put their hands through a hole to feel it and guess what it is. Peeled grapes and cooked spaghetti are gross! You could get photos of people's faces as they touch things.

You could have loads of toilet roll middles, plastic bottles and carton trays etc with a challenge to make the best plane, bridge, tower etc. Another competition with photo ops.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

We're having a knobbly knees contest, with knotted hanky hats and a bottle of Sailor Jerry rum for the winner! It'll only take 5 mins and should be a laugh.

I like the idea of the 'touchy' boxes and pumpkin carving. We used to do that at school! Perhaps you could do a Ouija board? ?

I'd be careful of doing anything to OTT- there's nothing worse than 'enforced' fun, when all people want to do is sit around and drink, talk and chill. I personally don't like being 'forced' into photo opportunities at these things! But you know your friends / family better than anyone- if they'd embrace it, go for it!

• B
    Beginner June 2014
    Babbo ·
    • Hide content

What about a marryoke? You could do your own and make it fun...choose a fav fun song x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics