Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner July 2015

Quirky Venues in North East

bobby66, 6 of January of 2014 at 21:56 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi all

Well, having only been engaged for two weeks I'm now feeling the pressure of trying to find the right place!

I'm after some help or inspiration for a venue in the North East. We are based in Newcastle and want something other than the traditional Hall's and Hotels, mainly due to cost. I'd really like to be able to decorate and personalise the place a lot myself, and we want to hold the ceremony there too.

I feel like I've exhausted everywhere and still haven't found the right thing. The likes of Newton Hall etc are lovely but much much more that I'd like to spend. I've come across suggestions for As You Like It, the Baltic, Hotel du Vin, Sage, Blackfriars and Jesmond Dene House which I do like, but as we are hoping for mid August I'm desperate for some type of gardens.

The only place which sounds like it would be perfect is the Hexham Winter Gardens, but I'm bridesmaid there for my best friend, so it a bit of a no-no.

Any suggestions would be great. I really want to keep costs down but am looking forward to getting to personalise the venue itself.

If anyone knows of anything I don't I'dlove to hear about it!

Thanks, Bobby.

14 replies

Latest activity by Sarahs1984, 15 of September of 2014 at 10:17
  • miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement and welcome to hitched ?

I am getting married at Swell Cafe in Robin Hood's Bay near Whitby which is quite unique and a bit different from the usual halls and hotels.

It is a sea view cafe which is in a converted chapel and it has a ceremony room upstairs with the original chapel pews ;-)

I don't know if it would suit your needs but thought I'd mention it just in case...

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I will be watching this thread closely, your specifications are identical to mine. My favourites so far is the great north museum (formerly the Hancock) but their wedding Co-ordinator has had our details since the start of November and hasnt got back to me :-(

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love the look of your venue!

• March14bride
    Beginner March 2014
    March14bride ·
    • Hide content

Crook Hall in Durham has beautiful gardens. It's along the riverside, about a 10 minute walk from the city centre. You used to be able to arrange your own catering etc, not sure if you still can as it has become a popular venue.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Welcome Bobby! I was going to suggest As You Like It but I see you've already looked there. I'll have a think.

Miss Pickle - I was in that cafe a couple of weeks ago! I noticed they did weddings! It was lovely. I love Whitby.

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content

Hi Bobby! Congratulations on your engagement! We're getting married at Rushpool Hall, its at Saltburn and although not the cheapest venue we've come across definitely the most striking. Its got beuatiful gardens and theres a marquee if you want it, they even do a BBQ buffet for the evening do! Im an August bride too so it'll be perfect out in the gardens for photos. Have a look at their website, their co-ordinator Kerri is fantastic too.

Good luck!!

Debbi xx

• B
    Beginner July 2015
    bobby66 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all of the ideas guys, I'll go and check out the suggestions mentioned. It seems like lots of other places around the UK have umpteen barn conversions and gardens, but we are a bit limited up here.

Any more ideas-keep 'em coming.

I've been to see High House Farm Brewery near Matfen today, and we liked the opportunities on offer here...but no gardens!?

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Minicupcake ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I went to a wedding at Alnwick Gardens last year and it was beautiful, the couple got married in the conservatory which over looked the fountain:-

x x

• Purple_lilies
    Beginner September 2015
    Purple_lilies ·
    • Hide content

Hey Girls,

I just got engaged on the 9th June and looking for a venue in the north east.

Just wondering where did you girls end up choosing?

Ive got my heart set on Eshott Hall but the wedding planner wasn't great and they haven't returned my phone calls and I feel really let down by them :-(

Thanks

• B
    Beginner July 2015
    bobby66 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

We decided on Kirkley Hall in Ponteland. I couldn't imagine not being able to get out into some gardens with a July wedding and if it's a nice day there is a big lawn and seating outside. They have been great with everything we've wanted (various dietary requests etc) and really helpful with having a few looks around etc.

Fingers crossed it all continues to go smoothly!

• S
    Beginner September 2015
    Sevenyearhitched ·
    • Hide content

Have any of you seen the Druids temple at Masham n yorks.

Utterly fabulous.

I know they do pagan weddings . Would make a great photo shoot.

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/england/north-yorkshire/featured-sites/druids-temple-ilton.html

• D
    Beginner October 2014
    dollydimple88 ·
    • Hide content

We went to a wedding a High Farm Brewery on the August bank holiday and it was lovely, although like you say, no gardens. I struggled finding somewhere too. We are getting married as As You Like It as we aren't hall or country house people but our wedding is next month so weather could be iffy. There is a definite lack of barns for weddings up here. I went on the local councils websites and searched through the approved ceremony venues xx

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I think this might be more North West than North East (it's around harrogate) but I shot a cowboy western themed wedding at Camp Katur and it was brilliant in terms of they had a barn but also had a beautiful outdoor space where you could get married between redwood trees. The wedding I shot got married in the barn and then there's a hall for reception dinner. The venue was really flexible and I'm kinda peeved it's not nearer down south to where I'm based!

• M
    Beginner June 2016
    Mrs.R.to-be ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I'm getting married at High House Farm Brewery. My fiancé and I visited when it was set up for a wedding the next day and it looked so pretty. The fact that they have no package as such means you can tailor your day - I'm having a BBQ instead of proper sit down meal so people can choose what they want to eat and also because it's a brewery we have having a couple of small kegs of their own ales (alongside pitchers of Pimms and juices) for the welcome drinks.

You're right, there are no gardens as such but I'm going for a countryside rustic theme therefore we'll do photos in the fields, on the hay bales, tractors, etc. The countryside in Northumberland is stunning which also swayed me.

Other than what people have said I can't add anything further. There is Healey Barn near Hexham which is in the process of being built - don't know if you have looked into that?

• S
    Beginner August 2014
    Sarahs1984 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I know you mentioned you wanted gardens, but for a quirky venue in Newcastle, have you considered the Theatre Royal? They advertised last month they have dates available for weddings next August.

Good luck in finding a venue. X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics