Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner September 2012

Quizzes for Guests? Ideas?

LeicesterBride, 13 June, 2012 at 14:38 Posted on Planning 0 14

Following a 1.5 - 2 hour drinks reception where everyone will be free to mingle as they wish, we've decided to mix people up a bit for the meal. It's not a formal do (hot buffet in village hall) and we'll keep partners / families together, but will break away from 'normal' friendship groups as we think there are a lot of people who won't have met before, but who will get on really well. We are planning on allocating people a table, but not a specific place at the table.

As an ice-breaker / means of getting guests talking on their table, we thought we'd put a few pens and a quiz or two. We're shying away from a bride/bridegroom quiz, so does anyone have any other ideas? I guess a general pub quiz would be ok...but any other ideas? I once did an quiz where all the answers related to a given topic (i.e. book, film or poem relating to animals) and then the first letter of each word was given as a clue. I quite like this as an idea, but not sure where to find one like it.

Is anyone else planning similar or knows of anywhere where I might be able to download quizzes / questions?

Thanks all!

LB x

14 replies

Latest activity by Kadypants, 15 June, 2012 at 21:10
  • Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

We were considering doing this at one point, partly because a lot of our guests don't know each other and partly because we met at a pub quiz, so it was quite apt.

I don't like the "questions about the bride & groom either" because there are always some people who will obviously know the answers more than others. Some ideas I had:

1. Quotes from love movies

2. Picture round - photos of celebrity weddings

3. Questions on marriage traditions - you'll find these anywhere on Google

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

We had a quiz, there were several sections. The first section was about June (when the wedding was) eg who was born on this day in such and such year. Then there was a section about Suffolk (where we live and where the wedding was). Then there was a section about us. Then there was a section about song lyrics. We choose some of our favourite songs and printed out a couple of lines of the lyrics and people had to name the song title and artist. It seemed to go down really well and got people talking. We mixed the tables half and half with my guests and hubbys guests. We tried to design the questions so that each friendship/family group would be likely to know the answer to at least one of the questions about us.

• L
    Beginner September 2012
    LeicesterBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Liking all three of those ideas! Am off to google ?

Thank you

• L
    Beginner September 2012
    LeicesterBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Great ideas, thank you - I particularly like the song lyric idea - definately going with that!

• D
    Beginner August 2008
    dimity ·
    • Hide content

I quite like the ones with clues like '13 in a BD", "15 M O A D M C" and you have to fill in the phrases (13 in a baker's dozen, 15 men on a dead man's chest). I think they're good for ice breaking. I'm sure there are whole quizzes of them on the internet.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

My brother had the 'wedding tradition' type quiz. What animal does the bride ride on in Mongolia, what is the blacken in Scotland etc. The table with the most correct & also funniest answers won small prizes.

• OldJess
    Beginner September 2012
    OldJess ·
    • Hide content

Hi, we are planning in doing a quiz as an ice breaker too as we are having a BBQ buffet as our main meal so people may have a little wait before there table.

We also met at a pub quiz too!! One question I liked that I found was (if your having one) what is the combined age of the top table? Also we were getting baby pictures of the bridal party too? Someone as a tie breaker had "what piece if advice would you give the happy couple for a successful marriage"

Are you marking yours or is it only as a fun ice breaker? As one issue I can't work out is when/how will they get marked or will you have answers somewhere on table? As I wanted to do a silly little prize for winning table?

• RachTN25
    Beginner December 2012
    RachTN25 ·
    • Hide content

We're going to be doing a 'Pass the Parcel' type thing. There will be a present on each table with a different tag on each layer saying things like ' the person who has known the bride and groom the longest or the person who travelled the furthest to be here etc' this person then opens the layer with a little present in and then the next layer has another tag on with something different. I saw this on a website and thought it would be a good way of getting people talking and it ties in well with our Christmas theme with the present.

Rachel xx

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

Oh, that's a great idea! We're having a Christmas wedding too. Would you mind sharing more info re the different tags etc, or the website where you saw it? I'm not very good at thinking things up, but I think this would be great as we'll have some potentially 'dead time' before the evening buffet.

• RachTN25
    Beginner December 2012
    RachTN25 ·
    • Hide content

Heres the website although I'm gonna make my own as seems simple enough. Havn't thought about what questions to put on all the tags yet though.

http://www.partyfavourz.com/acatalog/info_PP01.html

Rach xx

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

Ah that's fab - thanks so much. That helps me get a better idea of this. Definitely going to suggest it to my OH!

I just did a quick Google search for wedding pass the parcel questions and found some ideas... hope these help you too!

Who has travelled the furthest to be here today

Who has known the bride or groom for longest

Who had the most recent birthday?
    Who has the most siblings?
    Who's moved house the most in the last five years?

The person who has had the most alcohol to drink! That might be a funny one
    The person who has the funniest memory of the bride/groom
    Who has attended the most weddings?? In last two years

Wearing the most bling

Who took the longest to get ready that morning

Who has been in their job the longest

• L
    Beginner September 2012
    LeicesterBride ·
    • Hide content

Fab ideas everyone ?

OH is quite excited about pulling sections together which include elements of most of your suggestions! Might have to restrict him to maximum of 50 questions, otherwise he's prone to getting carried away!

LB xx

• RachTN25
    Beginner December 2012
    RachTN25 ·
    • Hide content

• L
    Beginner September 2012
    louisebride ·
    • Hide content

I went to a friend's wedding where she asked all the guests to supply her with a random fact about themselves before the wedding. When we sat down, there was a little envelope with our names on and inside was a question saying stuff like 'someone on this table once climbd mount everest, can you guess who? etc - then we all had a guess before the person who it was owned up. That person then had to read out his/her fact and it started again.

Sounds similar to the pass the parcel idea, it was a great ice-breaker!

• K
    Beginner April 2013
    Kadypants ·
    • Hide content

These are all such fab ideas! Such a shame we dont have time for something like this really.

What about baby photos of each of the guests and they have to work out whose who?! Might be a bit embarrasing for some though...

Ooh... and if you have wipe clean table names and dry wipe marker pens on the table, each table could make up their own team name!! Hmm.. may be getting a little carried away..

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics