Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

DrBuffles
Beginner August 2014

Quizzes on tables at wedding breakfast

DrBuffles, 5 of February of 2014 at 11:00 Posted on Planning 0 9

I went to a wedding in the summer and they had put little boxes of cards with an 80's music quiz in them on the tables. It was a great way of breaking the ice between people who didn't previously know each other and a good way of passing the time before everyone was served etc.

It got me thinking and although we could literally steal that idea, the couple who's wedding it was will be at ours (although pretty sure they wouldn't mind, and be flattered by us copying them) I had the idea to do a quiz with questions about my OH and I and set up a little competition with a prize of a bottle of champers for the winning table.

We have been together since we were 16 (now 30) and our day wedding guests are a good mix of family and friends from various points of our lives so there is lots of scope for questions. I was thinking it could get a bit of healthy competition going on a some interaction between tables eg, swapping answers etc.

My question is do you think this a good idea and has anyone done it? My OH thinks I am trying to hard to force fun but I thought it could be a nice personal touch.

Opinions please and if you think it would be a good idea what sort of questions do you think?

9 replies

Latest activity by DrBuffles, 5 of February of 2014 at 14:44
  • Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

Yes.... done it many times and in different guises..... and yes it does work.

The funniest one I had the pleasure of facilitating is where the B & G had gathered a load of really weird facts.... and the guests had to decide which of the wedding party they belonged to. Daft things like 'Who fell sleep on a train to Manchester and woke up in Glasgow?' Towards the end of the meal, I picked up a few of these and walked round the tables reading out the suggestions.... then got the culprit to stand up. It wasn't forced fun.... just hilarious. It is an icebreaker and people do get into the spirit of it.

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

Yes.... done it many times and in different guises..... and yes it does work.

The funniest one I had the pleasure of facilitating is where the B & G had gathered a load of really weird facts.... and the guests had to decide which of the wedding party they belonged to. Daft things like 'Who fell sleep on a train to Manchester and woke up in Glasgow?' Towards the end of the meal, I picked up a few of these and walked round the tables reading out the suggestions.... then got the culprit to stand up. It wasn't forced fun.... just hilarious. It is an icebreaker and people do get into the spirit of it.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

We're doing something similar. We have just purchased from a local charity shop two old Trivial Pursuit games which we are going to take the cards out of and have as icebreakers. We are also looking for more old retro games and things, partly to keep people entertained and partly because they fit in so well with us and our theme!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Here is a simple idea which was a word search of bride and groom facts.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea of a quiz to keep people entertained - but couldn't a quiz about you both be interpreted as being a little self indulgent?

I love articulate, and so do all our friends (it comes out to play every time we have a night in!) you've just given me the idea to have some kind of articulate type game on the tables!

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

.... but a wedding IS about you! You could say the first dance is self indulgent or cutting of the cake etc

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hadn't really thought of it like that at all. Surely the whole day is a fairly self indulgent event!

It's the one thing that everyone has in common for being there.

Feeling a bit me me me now.

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    bellaZ ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding where there was a quiz about the bride and groom once. The trouble was, you had to have known them since childhood to be able to get many points, and most of us hadn't. So, predictably, it ended up being a contest between their siblings. Great fun for them but a bit tedious for the rest of us. So if you want to do this, make sure you know your audience and pitch it at them, not just at those who've known you since you were in nappies.

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    S2BMRSB ·
    • Hide content

I Love this idea!! And as you have been together for a long time there will be lots about your life together that you can pick questions from? I say go for it. I may be stealing this idea?

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

So I've been doing a bit or research and this is what I have for questions so far

What is our dogs full name? He is officially called Chipolata Von Schitzelburg! a few closer people know this

What year anniversary did we get engaged? It was a long wait so most will know this

What is our front door number? The oldies are more likely to know this

What shape diamond is in my engagement ring? It's a unusual pear cut

What is the grooms nickname for the bride? This is a known fact within our friends

What colour is the grooms' car? His car is quite statementy

What is the brides fave alcoholic beverage? I'm know for my love of red wine ....

Who will be most hungover after the wedding?...I'm also known for my hangovers!

What are our middle names? Family are more likely to know this

How do these sound so far? Does anyone else have more suggestions?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics