Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner June 2011

Quote for flowers - does this seem expensive?

MISSMAYFLOWER, 12 August, 2010 at 17:01 Posted on Planning 0 28

I know this is a hard question as everyone is different and it depends on the flowers etc but I've just received a quote for my wedding flowers and it seems really expensive in some areas and a lot more than I expected. Maybe I was just being naive but I thought I'd try and get some advice and see if the prices are in line with other people's quotes.

We are getting married in west yorkshire on a saturday and we've asked for summery flowers which smell nice and look pretty. we also want the table arrangements etc to look "full".

This is what we have been quoted

Brides Bouquet - hand tied posy £110 Bridesmaids Bouquet x 4 - hand tied £140 ladies rose buttonholes x 2 £18 rose Buttonholes x 6 £35 Grooms rose buttonhole £6.25 Table Flowers x 8 - martini glass with floewrs £370 Top table arrangement £104 Pew ends x12 - wicker hearts with ribbon (no flowers) £60 Trees x 2 £36 Pedestal arrangement £86

Any thoughts appreciated to help get this in perspective!!

x

28 replies

Latest activity by MISSMAYFLOWER, 13 August, 2010 at 12:43
  • BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

Can't be helpful I'm afriad but this is exactly why I wont be using flowers (At least from a florist anyway). For something that will be dead within the week, it's an awful lot of money to spend!

My wedding is at the end of November so my FMIL will be foraging for Holly and other seasonsal stuff like that, I refuse to pay for flowers that are gonna be dead in a few days when I could spend the money on something I can keep or make my money back on.. I'm a frugal old witch though Smiley laugh

• J
    Beginner November 2011
    JST ·
    • Hide content

I'm another that can't help (sorry!) but it does seem an awful lot of money. Are you positive you want so many flowers, would you be happy with something other than that as table centre pieces?

Oh and hi from a fellow West Yorkshire person! I'm nearer Huddersfield. Can I be nosy and ask where you are getting married? Currently searching for a venue and struggling!

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

I'm no expert, and I'm sure florists on here will tell you otherwise, but £110 for a handtied posy sounds a LOT? How much smaller are the BMs as they're only £35...

What flowers are you having??

It comes to nearly £1000 .. that is a lot for something that is only going to last a few hours ...

• J
    Beginner November 2011
    JST ·
    • Hide content

Also - for the buttonholes, could you not just get a bouquet from a supermarket and chop them up?! Or is that the naff-est idea anyone has ever come up with?!

I am totally clueless with flowers!

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

I hope thats expensive!

I haven't got anywhere near as far as thinking about the flowers yet, but that seems very overpriced!

Have you asked for something special, because to me, a buttonhole is nothing more than a small flower, and a couple of leaves, bound up with whatever. To charge £9 each seems outrageous.

If those prices are right, I think I'll be doing them myself. You can get a beautiful spray in Tescos for under a tenner with multiple heads and just cut them, bit of ribbon, bit of wire, and a pin = Massive saving.

Maybe I'll start growing some flowers now in time for my wedding.

Sammy.

• M
    Beginner June 2011
    MISSMAYFLOWER ·
    • Hide content

that's what I thought. The centrepieces are probably not too bad as its about £45 each (still a lot but probably to be expected) but I only asked for a small bouquet as I don't want it taking over.

I said i was quite easy on which flowers we had - I mentioned roses, freesias, lavender, sweet peas, carnations, hydrangas - anything really that looks nice but not too expensive

• COCOCHIQUITA1984
    Beginner
    COCOCHIQUITA1984 ·
    • Hide content

I'm in Kent so obviously can't draw direct comparisons but here are prices for the bits I have ordered (not having anywhere near the amount of flowers you are having, but on a item by item comparison you should be able to save!. I'm getting married on a Saturday in September.

Handtied red rose bouquet with diamante detailing - £56

Flowergirl posies (red and white roses) - £20 each

White rose buttonholes - £3.50 each

Groom's double red rose buttonhole - £5

Mum's freesia corsages - £7.50 each

Large top table arrangement (red roses with mixed exotic white flowers) - £50

Looking at it now I think we got a bloody good deal! x

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

Well, I'm taking a first step into floristry tmrw, so I'll see if I can get an idea of the prices of the florist I'm going to - and let you know!! Did you not get told what that price bouquet would consist of?

If it was a really packed large rose posy, then MAYBE ... but ... (ETA - actually, surely even that wouldn't be £110??!)

We need Sherries opinion! Or By George or Rainbow ....

• atlonglast
    Beginner November 2010
    atlonglast ·
    • Hide content

That does seem very expensive. I am having Cala Lilys and thistles in my flowers.

A brides bouqet

10 buttonholes, 3 with the Cala Lily and a thistle with a satin ribbon. 7 just thistles with a tarten ribbon.

A big bouquet for the mother of the groom which we will give to her at the toast.

Only £130.

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That seems really cheap!

Re the OP - my bouquet was £85, a handtied roses posey and it wasn't all that big...single rose buttonholes were £4 each (so your's look more) the ladies corsages I think were £12.50 each.

For the BM bouquets, I ordered white roses and wraps and made them up ourselves as it was just going to come out too much.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Hi Miss Mayflower - for our area, it's expensive. For a seasonal hand-tied bouquet for yourself, it should be in the region of £60/£65 certainly no more than £75 and the rest seem expensive too apart from the martini centrepieces which sound about average. Is this a florist in Halifax?

• M
    Beginner June 2011
    MISSMAYFLOWER ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I was expecting! I might have to ask how its got so expensive as from the flowers I asked for there is no way it should be so high I don't think. Yes its a Halifax florist, I thought going local would have been the best option but I think I'll have to look around a bit

• froggy29400
    Beginner October 2010
    froggy29400 ·
    • Hide content

That seems to be very expensive! My bouquet is quoted "£60 maximum" with germinis/gerberas, calla lillies, etc, 3 bridesmaids posies £15 each (£45), flower wands for little girls at £5 each, buttonholes at £4 each.

I will also have loose flowers which we'll put in vases ourselves. The lady quoted the maximum price for the season but said it was likely to be less than that.

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

My bouquet is a waterfall one and its £90. The bridesmaids posys were quoted at £50 Each. The button holes for the OH and his wedding party were at £4.50 each (Ivory Roses) and the corsarges for the MIL and the MOTB were £6 each. I only wanted quotes for those becuase i'm not having any other flowers.

I'm not sure if it differs from area to area - but yours does seem really expensive. But it depends on the flowers you're having in your bouquets because some flowers are more expensive when theyre not in season.

xx

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Might be worth getting a couple of quotes from Brighouse/Elland/Cleckheaton who will probably also cover Halifax but even if it's an Interflora shop (which tend to be more expensive than other independents) it's still on the high side. £100 plus for a hand-tied is more than most florists would charge for a shower bouquet in our area. I would definitely enquire exactly what flowers you will be getting for the quote - You should certainly have a good selection of choice blooms included as well as seasonal flowers.

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content

Hi from a fellow West Yorkshire b2b! I am on a very tight budget but rainbow Florist reccomended me someone who trained her and looks like I am not gonna have to spend a lot from chats I have had with the lady in question! No way nearer what you quote! You may have to ask them how they came up with that quote even though it's embarrassing, I know! But in this day and age, everyone is saving money so... bite the bullet! Sometimes people give initially a bigger quote to leave room for haggling!

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

Seems expensive to me. Have you contacted anyone else to compare prices? I'm sure prices differ in each area but a hand tied in my area (South West) is around £65-£75 and buttonholes around £4. I'd have a shop around, get some more quotes, and if they come in a lot less, I'd use it as a haggling tool if you really want this particular florist.

• M
    Beginner June 2011
    MISSMAYFLOWER ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you mind me asking who you are speaking to? I'm not sure who to try for quotes so any recommendations in this area would be really appreciated!

I think I'll have to ask how these prices have come together - maybe there are some expensive flowers in there I don't know about and they can come out. But I think its just too expensive as it is and someone else might give me better value.

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have dropped you an email.

Rainbow Florist - hope you don't mind I let MissMayFlower have the lady in question's name? x

• Shnarfy1
    Beginner November 2010
    Shnarfy1 ·
    • Hide content

My jaw literally dropped when I read the prices!!! I could never justify spending that much on flowers!!

• Beckyv83
    Beginner September 2010
    Beckyv83 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Some of your prices seem high to me but some seem low!

I am having table centres in tall martini glasses and was quoted £70 each but i managed to knock it down to £60, so more expensive than yours.

My bouquet on the other hand is cheaper at £80 for gerberas/germinis and lillys.

My top table arrangement is £60

My grooms buttonhole is £4.50 for roses.

Ushers buttonholes are £3.50

I like in the South.

HTH

• TheNinjaPigeon
    Beginner January 2011
    TheNinjaPigeon ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I'm also getting married in west yorkshire (Leeds in fact - you?). My flowers a roughly costing this:

£40/£50 for a hand tied bridal bouquet,

£15 per bridesmaid corsage

£6 per mans buttonhole

£8/10 for 2 mums buttonholes

£5 per pew end - ribbon and babys breath

Small pedestal £60ish

Compared to that your prices don't seem miles off. Your bouquet is more expensive but you may well be having different flowers to me

Can't wait - I do see why some people choose not to have real flowers - but to me they are just perfect!

xx

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, not at all! Not sure if she covers Halifax but certainly worth asking. MissMayflower - she is as qualified as you can get in the floral world holding the National Diploma for floristry as well as being a Lecturer in Floristry. As Viking Princess says, she taught me at college many years ago - too many years ago ? !!

• M
    Beginner June 2011
    MISSMAYFLOWER ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm getting married in Halifax so not too far from Leeds. I love real flowers as well, just need to get it to a more realistic price I think as I def want there to be lots of flowers on the day.

vikingprincess - does the email just go to my registered email address? will check it out tonight at home if the does, thank you for passing the name on to me though

x

• B
    Beginner September 2011
    broomfield2b ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

I say thats a lot!! I live in bristol and my florist has quoted me £75.00 and im having a besboke boquet little bit like a shower one but bigger more flowers romantic style etc

Bms poses are £60 each I think (pretty expensive I think but I love the florist)

so I think thats LOADS for your boquet imo hun, luckly my mum is a flower arranger and can do pedastals button holes (just cant do boquets lol) etc so saving lots on that xxxxxxx

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

Seems a little high to me, especially as it looks like you are asking for mainly seasonal flowers.

I have popped some examples from my quote below (it was mid range in our quotes but the florist was the best one we spoke to so we went for her over the slightly cheaper option)

BRIDE

HAND TIED POSY OF ROSES AND HYDRANGEAS SIMILAR TO SAMPLE PICTURE BUT WITH MORE FOLIAGE AND POSSIBLY SCENTED ROSES. (PEONIES IF STILL AROUND!)FINISHED IN VINTAGE RIBBON £80

my flowers should be a cross between this

and this

(Photos from aqua wedding and event flowers)

BRIDESMAIDS 2 ADULT

SMALLER SIMPLIFIED VERSION OF BRIDES BOUQUET WITH GREEN POLKADOT RIBBON STEM.

2@£45 EACH

BUTTONHOLES

GROOM

IVORY ROSE WITH ROSEMARY AND LAVENDER,VERONICA £4

GUEST PINKY/LILAC ROSE WITH ROSEMARY £4 EACH

LADIES CORSAGES

IVORY ROSES AND FREESIAS £12 EACH

TOP TABLE

COMPORT DISH WITH LOOSE POSY STYLE ARRANGEMENT PLACED IN CENTRE OF TABLE WITH 3 JAM JARS PLACED EACH SIDE ALONG FRONT EDGE OF TABLE. £50

Hope that helps

• T
    teresa412009 ·
    • Hide content

So nice flowers, love it

• M
    Beginner June 2011
    MISSMAYFLOWER ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, you've been really helpful (as usual!)

I'm def going to go back to them for more detail on the types of flowers and what I think is the maximum I would pay and see what they do. plus I'm going to try the other florists and see if they can do me a better deal.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics