Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner May 2016

Random question on witness signing the marriage licence

Tidal Wave, 15 of December of 2015 at 20:02 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hello, hoping for some answers really. Tried cab, CofE website and we are still stuck. The question is can someone who lives outside of the UK sign as a witness?

I've been a witness in New Zealand but we are unsure. We are assuming as we can't find anything to the contrary that it's ok. The reason why it's a problem is, his mother lives in Germany, part of their Christmas parcel is going to be their invite, inside which we will be asking both mothers to be a witness (we think it means more to them than anyone else and we think it's a nice touch as both the youngest children) I don't want to ask the mil she says yes then we find out we can't.

We're 99% sure it's fine. Just that 1% niggle. Anyone else had a non UK resident witness their licence?

5 replies

Latest activity by bellaZ, 16 of December of 2015 at 09:57
  • E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

I would have thought it will be fine, but the best person to ask is probably you vicar. They should know, and if not, they will at least know who to ask.

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

This is why you are clever and trying to think after a glass of wine us silly.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I've messaged a friend who works in the registrar office. Will let you know Smiley winking

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

She says they have to be over age limit and understand vows etc however of church vicar can insist resident so best check but if her English is good shouldn't be a problem.

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

Oh my word, thank you so much for emailing. Yes her English is very good, she's an English teacher in Germany, and when she worked over here a German teacher. That's fine he can word it carefully and next time he speaks to her can semi warn her. Thank you.

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    bellaZ ·
    • Hide content

Our witness lived outside the UK (in Singapore), although she was a British citizen. I can't remember whether we had to supply her address or not.

There is no age limit; they just have to be old enough and mature enough to understand the meaning and importance of the marriage vows. We specifically checked this because our Singaporean-resident witness was 17.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics