Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Elixia
Beginner March 2014

Random Tax Code Change?

Elixia, 20 of August of 2014 at 11:14 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

Just looked at my payslip and I've been taxed an extra £7 for the fortnight, I looked at the tax code and its changed since my last one last fortnight. I've heard nothing from HMRC and work doesn't know why accept when they pulled in my details there was a change. All they could speculate was its because I got married (?) The payroll lady is in tomorrow so I'm going to ask her properly but its happened to a few at work and I wondered if anyone has had this?

9 replies

Latest activity by 3d jewellery, 21 of August of 2014 at 07:22
  • MrsKHbutterfly
    Rockstar September 2014
    MrsKHbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Sorry i can't help other than to say I've never seen one change after marriage (did payroll for 7 years albeit for a small number of people) but you should have definitely had a notification in the post. I know it's a pain calling them but i would definitely call HMRC.

p.s. if we're getting taxed for being married the weddings off!! hahaha!!!

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

Usually HMRC won't change a tax code mid year unless they have been notified of a change by your employer. You should get a coding notice through the post though detailing any changes. Most tax code changes are due to taxable benefit changes etc through your employer. Just wondering if you have notified them of a name change or something and they have made a mistake? Worth calling them to find out.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

There was a thing on the news the other day saying that some people have over/under paid tax and that they would adjust peoples' tax codes to recoup instead of sending massive bills.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

I have health care with my work and have claimed it this year for some dental work maybe this is why? It might be a benefits things with the health care since I dont have any other benefits with the gov

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

The healthcare deduction in your PAYE code is the cost to your employer of providing the healthcare benefit (eg the amount they pay to BUPA) regardless of whether you claim or not. What is likely to have happened is that your P11D for 2013/14 (i.e. the tax year ending 5 April 2014) will have recently been processed by HMRC and the cost of your health benefit payment for that year may be higher than the previous year so the deduction in your PAYE code for this year needs adjusting too. It could also mean there is a small underpayment which would be collected through your PAYE code.

However, you should have had a notice of coding sent to you notifying you of the change - is it possible HMRC has the wrong address on their records? It is up to you to notify them of any address change not your employer. Even if your employer has put your new address on things it doesn't always get picked up unless point out. A quick phone call should sort it all out.

Ps at present there is no married tax allowance (or deduction). An allowance is due to come in from April 2015 restricted according to earnings.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Yeah HMRC have my current address, they sent me last tax code letter quite some time ago, March I think for the new tax year. I might be stuck in the post perhaps :/

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

I can ask my h2b for you when he gets home - sometimes it's handy to be marrying one of Her Majesty's Inspector of Taxes Smiley winking

He's had a lot to do with the switch to automatic reporting/adjustments so he should know....

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

Hmm not much help i'm afraid, he said it could be a number of things - like someone above said, they could be "clawing back" an overpayment, or you could have reported a new revenue stream which affects your primary tax code... either way he said its best to speak to your payroll dept as they *should* know. was it your income tax that was affected, or NI contributions? NI is calculated on a monthly basis so if you did some overtime your payment could have gone up, it will readjust over the rest of the tax year.

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

The employer is only ever told the code not how the code is arrived at. So no the payroll will not be able to tell you anything other than the fact it has changed. You need to phone HMRC. Ultimately, they are the only people who can tell you.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I just got my updated code this week for the healthcare benefit adjustments so it could be that. You should have had letter though

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics