Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

yes2011
Beginner

Rant about ring engraving - they did it wrong on both rings

yes2011, 2 July, 2011 at 18:23 Posted on Planning 0 10

Sorry but I have to write it, otherwise I'll obsess over this the whole weekend. I brought our wedding rings for engraving to Fraser Hart in Cambridge. They came back and I'm still astonished how someone can be so stupid:

OH's Ring had: our initials and a "+" between them, since he's a mathematician. It was spelled out on the order exaclty like this but it came back with a "&" which he specifically had not wanted.

My ring came back with the wrong font. I wanted something rather simple, choosing Victoria Script. I got something weird that is way too ornamental. You cannot even identify the letters themselves, I asked for a magnifier at the shop and even the guy was not sure which letter it is.

This I got:

I only got the chance to check the fonts online when I got home. Now I can either force myself not to bother about it (like my OH, he said oh well it's fine) or I go back Monday and complain. I really want to be fine with it but I'm just pissed.

So, rample over...

P.S. It costs 25 pounds for one ring.

10 replies

Latest activity by kacy1988, 5 July, 2011 at 20:28
  • F
    Beginner July 2012
    FutureMrsLawrence ·
    • Hide content

That sucks! I would go back and complain, the engraving can be buffed out and they can re-do it for you>

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

I would contact them. At the end of the day. Neither of them are what you requested

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You might find it easier to do this if you make your dissatisfaction known. This will give them the chance to make amends...the very least they can do is refund your money, why should you pay for something that is simply not up to scratch? If you got the engraving for free it might make it easier not to bother about the inaccuracies.

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for posting this. We got my ER from that Fraser Hart and were thinking about getting our WR from there so it's helpful that we now know not to get them engraved by them!

I would definitely complain - you pay for a service and it should be provided to the level you would expect. If they don't do anything, or if what they do do is not to your satisfaction, write to their head office.

• MissJodie
    Beginner September 2011
    MissJodie ·
    • Hide content

Oh no that is awful! I also got my WR from that shop and they were always so helpful when we went in, so it's a shame to hear this happened. I definitely agree that you should make a complaint and see what they offer you. You haven't received what you paid for! I hope you get it resolved Smiley smile

• yes2011
    Beginner
    yes2011 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies, I'll definitely go again on Monday.

To be fair, they offered my OH that he can get the engraving for free if he keeps the "&". Since he's away and I could only phone him no decision has been made on this.

I was so occupied with his ring that in the shop I didn't realize that my font is also wrong.

If I had to do it again I would ask the shop to show me how the engraving would look like before I sign the order. Then something like this cannot happen. Unfortunately they couldn't do this at Fraser Hart.

Does anyone know how it works to "correct" mistakes? The guy in the shop said you can rub it off and put the new engraving on. But won't the ring then loose some weight and be wider (slightly)? I really don't fell happy about someone rubbing around on my brandnew ring...

• yes2011
    Beginner
    yes2011 ·
    • Hide content

Hi all,

thanks for your replies. My OH now gets a brand new ring, and they will have it engraved again (this time right).

For me I'm undecided. They say it was actually the font I wanted and they would rub of the old initials and put new ones in. I'm a bit concerned that the "correction" will be visible afterwards. Had anyone ever had a ring engraving redone, or are there any professionals around here who can give me some info?

Thanks!

• P
    Beginner August 2011
    Pinki Hels ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear that you have had issues with the rings.

Regards to engraving being redone - I bought my OH a bracelet and had it engraved about 3 years ago - over time it became worn and scratch so I took it to a different shop and they buffed (or whatever) the original writing off and re-engraved it - you can not see the original writing and it just looks like it has been this way - you could never tell.

You could only ask them to redo the work and if it is not right then ask them to GIVE you a new ring cos the original is ruined.

I would personnaly think that it will be ok being redone over though. Fingers crossed it gets sorted

• yes2011
    Beginner
    yes2011 ·
    • Hide content

You guys won't believe the luck I've had. When the lady at Fraser Hart looked at the ring again she saw that a stone got lost. She said it must be a manufacturing mistake and I'm getting a brand new ring with a brand new engraving!!!

HAPPY!?

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awww, that's fab! ?

• K
    Beginner August 2012
    kacy1988 ·
    • Hide content

Glad it's alll sorted

a bit off topic but i saw these and thought of you....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-Math-Signs-Mens-Cuff-Link-Cufflinks-Wedding-Gift-/280704370173?pt=UK_JewelleryWatches_MensJewellery_Cufflinks&hash=item415b48c5fd

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics