Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Storky
Beginner May 2011

Rants about weddings

Storky, 25 October, 2012 at 16:43 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 45

Anyone have any current issues? I'm after a bit of a favour. If you're feeling ranty, can you let me know, please?! Sorry for the cryptic nature!

45 replies

Latest activity by *Eclair*, 29 October, 2012 at 18:00
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Rants about what?! your own wedding? attending a wedding? udeness at weddings?!

Mr Fs auntie turned up to our wedding and moaned the whole day... and didnt even get us a card, i begrudged writing her a thank you note !

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

It can be any of those! I just need to find a few people who want to have a moan (even if that's a moan about moaning people!).

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

My own wedding

My chair cover lady didnt turn up (didnt bother me too much)

My H's ex's mum however, did. (bothered me massively!)

My own mother threw a hissy fit when i didnt have a pic with her and my dad together (separated over 10 years ago) and then called me evil at the end,

Everyone has an opinion, which is fine, but I dont necessarily want to know it in the run up to my wedding!

Other people's weddings

Just because I got married myself doesnt mean I want to know everything about yours - hence i dont post on WP anymore

The wedding we went to a few weeks ago that was a complete rip off of my own (only better because they had more money ?)

ETA - none of these is a current issue really but it made me feel better!!

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh what?! But everyone wants to hear about weddings all the time don't they ?

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

I get very annoyed when people dictate what anyone should wear. I don't care if they are your bridesmaid, if they don't want to wear a dress you wouldn't make them if they were truly your friend. As for telling the groom what he HAS to wear, grrr!

ETA- posted before I'd finished. I also think it's silly to get annoyed at what your guests wear. Does it really matter if they are wearing black/white/a bikini? If they turn up in the same dress as you feel free to be annoyed at their attitude, but no one will mistake them for the bride!

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

FMiL is doing my head in about the wedding cake....guest list....you name it, she does my head in about it.

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

My rants are more about post wedding now. The implication that marriage means immadiate bables and settling down means boring annoys me.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

Oh I could rant for ages! Mostly about my own!

I really wished people stopped asking if I was excited. The answer is no but the buggers don't like hearing no. I don't like pretending to be excited! I wasn't excited in the slightest. I was terrified and looking forward to it.

Just because I was planning a wedding doesn't mean I have suddenly lost the ability to talk about anything else.

Also just because I am married doesn't mean all I want to do is talk about how being married is the best thug ever.

I wish people would stop telling me it was the best day of my life. I hate parties, getting my photo taken, fuss, dancing and being centre of attention. The only good point of the say was saying our vows.

Hate when people focus more on the party than the vows. That was the only thing I truly cared about.

I had a blue dress. I'm not any less married because i didn't wear white. Despite being asked with disgust if I'd got married in the blue dress and also "I like that you didn't wear a proper dress" it was a proper dress it just wasn't white.

My dad showed up. Hasn't been there for 9 years but yeah he shows up uninvited to my wedding. Wonderful. Could rant about that nutter all day.

Also people who think their wedding is the most original and best thing to ever happen.

Just because I love being married and love being a wife doesn't make me old fashioned and even if it does I don't care.

Sorry once I get started I have a lot to rant about!

ETA: I do love my husband very much and we had an amazing day becoming husband and wife even though I have made it sound awful!!

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

Cake - "The top layer is fruit as M doesn't like fruit cake" "Oh...."

Guest list - Her: "Here is my list of 24 people that we are wanting inviting" Me: "Ok - we'll consider them" Her: "Well if they don't come, we aren't coming"

There's more, but thats the gist of it

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Any of you fancy expanding on your rants and having them published?! ?

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Erm....possibly

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I could rant for days about my crappy co-ordinator being in appointments throughout the entire morning of me trying to set up for the wedding, and the caterer who 'forgot' hubby is allergic to nuts and served us delicious nut based meals and desserts*

*Yes PB is on the nut allergy soapbox again Smiley winking

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha far too boring for that!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

One of our day guests turned up to our wedding, and didn't even get us a card. Nothing. They didn't even sign the guestbook. If the tog hadn't have taken pictures of them, it would have been like they weren't even there.

I mean, c'mon, there was a shop right outside the church. Even if they HAD got us one but just forgotten it, they could have quickly popped in for a replacement, surely?!

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My own mother didnt give us gift! And her card arrived after our honeymoon. In her opinion (so she told my sister not me) the £140 she contributed to my shoes, veil and earrings was more than enough! I love her but she is beyond tight!

• Agouti
    Beginner September 2013
    Agouti ·
    • Hide content

Hmm I can think of a few rants!

- spending a small fortune to go to a wedding and not only being sat on the granny table but also only getting one drink the whole day (OH didn't even get to drink his glass of wine as granny swiped it off him to drink herself!)

- Was at a wedding a while ago where the bride wanted us to stay to the end to help tidy up (neither of us were part of the bridal party either)! We left shortly after!

I'm sure I can think of more..............

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

Our best man didn't get us a card or present. When he saw the card box he said "Oh was I supposed to get you one, sorry."

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

We didnt get a gift or a card from: 4 out of the 6 ushers, H's 2 brothers and his sister. 1 person just didnt turn up to the day and has avoided us ever since. Mum got us a card only, I was ok with this as mum had given us £2,000 towards the wedding. Nobody brought any confettii - luckily my mum brought loads. 1 person went around the next day claiming (very loud) that the lamb was off and thats why he's feeling ill, nothing to do with the countless pints and shots he was doing the night before........

Quite a few guests didnt even get us a card - this is quite rude!

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

One of Hs aunties never gave us a card or present and Hs other auntie said she didn't want to bring money to the wedding and would give us it for the honeymoon. That was a month ago.

We see her all the time too. Oh and still waiting for the money for our broadway tickets from his gran!

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes...but anonymously!

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

My rant isn't about weddings, more the attitudes of some poeple towards marriage.

Just because I'm getting married, doesn't mean I will become some antisocial old bat overnight. I will be exactly the same, not chained to the sink/oven and I will still be able to do all the same things as if I wasn't married.

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

this bugs me too! And also, those people who think that because THEY are married that they have to be boring too! I once organised a drink for my birthday with work. I asked one of the men if he was coming (he's an idiot I cant stand him anyway) and he replied 'Oh well, I cant you see, I'm a married man...' I replied 'I'm not asking you to sleep with me, Just come out for a drink!' That shut him up.

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

I'd potentially be interested too as long as it was anonymous.

FaeBelle that attitude annoys me too. Last weekend me and H were told (by a stranger) that we shouldn't have got married because you should sleep around until you're well in your 30s. Apparently being married makes us "boring."

• **Pip**
    **Pip** ·
    • Hide content

Just to buck the trend a little I'd have to say this whole thing where people are annoyed that someone didnt buy them something... but then I'm clearly a weirdo as we didnt have a gift list/money poem/ask for anything. We married abroad so specifically asked people not to get us gifts because it was already a massive deal that people wanted to come at all. I'd never be offended to not get a card or gift. I didnt ask people so that I got something in return.

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not annoyed he didn't get us anything, just thought it was amusing that he didn't realise people gave wedding presents/cards. We didn't mention anything in the invitations either, I'd rather give people money than write a money poem. We did have a gift list but only gave out the details if we were specifically asked.

Cricks I could write something about how much the phrase "your presence not your presents" annoys me if you like....

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I could have a rant or two about a particular family member's behaviour in the run-up to the wedding. But I don't want to bring it all up again as I have put it behind me.

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We didnt ask for anything either. No list, poem or anything. Our invitation was un conditional and we just wanted everyone there. I wrote a list of who gave what so I could write thank you gifts, but didnt stop to think who hadnt given anything. In fact my friend text the next day to apologise for leaving our gift on her kitchen table - I wouldnt have even noticed.

MY MOTHER however, is a different matter. Rightly or wrongly I expected a gift from her. My dad contributed £2000 to the wedding so no gift was expected. My mum is always complaining she has no money, but always finds some when she wants a new item of clothing, piece of furniture or weekend away! I dont think it wrong to expect £50 in a card from her!

• misselle
    Beginner July 2013
    misselle ·
    • Hide content

My mother telling me that "the wedding day wasn’t all about me" when I stated I didn’t want to "bling" up my bridesmaid flowers because her and my sister (MOH) thought it would look better(tacky). Really? If the wedding is all about the bride and groom who is it about?

My OH family just assuming that everyone is invited and then having the cheek to ring up after the save the dates go out to ask why his 3rd cousin isn’t invited and can her boyfriend come too. Were their names on the save the dates? No? Well they aren’t invited and can't come

FIL insisting that we keep an empty seat at the top table so that no-one would take the place of OH mum who passed away this year. - couldn’t believe when he asked about this, I’ve had to very diplomatically say no to it however he is still insisting to OH that we do this when the wedding comes around. Its not happening

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

this!

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My mum went to a wedding and saw this, she though it was absolutely genius and has mentioned it to me every time I've seen her since. Crrriiiiinge

Glad I'm not the only one to doesn't plan to magically change to a boring old fart overnight!

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    Blondilocks ·
    • Hide content

How much it costs when if you were having a plain old party it would cost less!

the rules - you should have x and y and z and the colours should match on a and b and so on......

how long it takes suppliers to reply to emails- do you want my business or not? It's not like I live in the middle of nowhere and you are the only supplier!

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

I sort of agree with you, but I think some families/friends can make things more difficult than they should be. What I don't understand is being nervous. If you know you're doing the right thing what is there to be scared of?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics