Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emma
Curious April 2024 South Yorkshire

Reading at civil ceremony

Emma, 12 of October of 2023 at 12:32 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 3

We recently had our registrar appointment for our April 24 wedding & were given a copy of the vows that will will have to say.

With it being just a few lines of text, I said it just seems that it will be over in less that 5 mins! She suggested we could add up to 3 readings.

We are not lovey dovey people, so we wouldn't want anything too slushy or solemn. Not a big fan of poetry either. Any suggestions are welcome please...!

3 replies

Latest activity by Linda, 21 of October of 2023 at 13:06
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

If you are wanting to add readings just to extend the time, then it may help you to know that our ceremony was about 20 minutes and we didn't have any readings. The registrar has a script they will follow with who is giving you away, the importance of the vows you are about to make and if anyone knows why you can't marry etc. There will also be the ring exchange, any optional vows you want to say and the signing of the registrar. So even without readings, I wouldn't worry about it being 5 minutes.

• Lea
    Rockstar July 2023 Kent
    Lea ·
    • Hide content

Hi Emma,

I chose the following reading for one of my two readings. As both my husband and I are older we thought it had a lot of meaning.

Maybeby Unknown

Maybe we are supposed to meet the wrong people before we meet the right one so when they finally arrive we are truly grateful for the gift we have been given.

Maybe it's true that we don’t know what we have lost until we lose it but it is also true that we don’t know what we’re missing until it arrives.

Maybe the happiest of people don’t have the best of everything, but make the best of everything that comes their way.

Maybe the best kind of love is the kind where you sit on the sofa together, not saying a word, and walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you ever had.

Maybe once in a lifetime, you find someone who not only touches your heart but also your soul, someone who loves you for who you are and not what you could be.

Maybe the art of true love is not about finding the perfect person, but about seeing an imperfect person perfectly.

• L
    Beginner June 2025 East London
    Linda ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Love this.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics