Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner October 2015

Reading Ideas

AmyMay92, 12 of May of 2015 at 12:35 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi all,

I'm really struggling to find some non-religious readings for our ceremony that my H2B and I both like. We're not really into cheesy poetry or anything like that, and every website I've been on has been offering the same suggestions. While we've found some nice ones, there's nothing that's really stood out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

So far the two front runners are The Owl and the Pussycat and A Lovely Love Story. I really like A Lovely Love Story but my H2B isn't keen - typical! I don't want to not have anything as the registrar when we met her said it can be over so quickly so it's good to fill it with a reading or something.

Thanks in advance Smiley smile

6 replies

Latest activity by AmyMay92, 19 of May of 2015 at 11:13
  • Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

I'd recommend having a look on The Offbeat Bride, they have some great ideas! We found our readings from there!

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Have you come across Yes I' ll Marry You My Dear by Pam Ayres yet?

http://www.pamayres.com/index.php/2011/08/yes-ill-marry-you-my-dear/

That is one of my favourites at the moment.

There is also The Little Yellow Leaf by Carin Berger, which I also really like:

And then, high up on an icy branch, a scarlet flash, one more leaf, holding tight,

“you’re here” cried the little yellow leaf
    “I am” said the little scarlet leaf

“like me” said the little yellow leaf
    Neither spoke!

Finally… “will you?” asked the little scarlet leaf
    “I will” said the little yellow leaf

And , one two three…

They let go, and soared…

(Full text here: http://www.weddingideaschat.com/topic/245837-just-submitted-our-readings/)

• Kittylove
    Beginner August 2015
    Kittylove ·
    • Hide content

We are having a Bob Marley Reading called He's not perfect.

Most stuff I've seen just Wasnt very us. I quite liked the captain corellis mandolin one but have heard it at so many weddings recently it didn't feel different enough. There is a nice one by Nancy Brillant called We're so lucky to have found each other.

I think I googled unusual wedding readings about a hundred times trying to pick mine.

• E
    Beginner April 2015
    elemden ·
    • Hide content

We had A Lovely Love Story (even though my husband was dubious) and it was the most beautiful part of my ceremony, touching, funny and downright perfect. The other reading was also great, the lyrics to English Rose by the Jam. Maybe you could consider some favourite lyrics?

i also read a short extract by Terry Pratchett taken from the Thief of Time, in which Wen considered the nature of time:

Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. Therefore, he understood, there is, in truth, no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are also considering the Bob Marley one. Even though we have ages to go this is one of the few elements of the day that I'm really banging my head over, trying to find something that is 'us', i.e. not too cheesy and flowery. I like the Nancy Brilliant one, I haven't seen that one before.

My OH wouldn't even let me get to the end of A Lovely Love Story before nixing it!

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

We had this:

Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres

Love is a temporary madness, it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your root was so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is.
    Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being in love, which any fool can do. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident.

Those that truly love have roots that grow towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossoms have fallen from their branches, they find that they are one tree and not two.

• A
    Beginner October 2015
    AmyMay92 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your replies Smiley smile

We've gone with The Little Yellow Leaf and I Carry Your Heart by E.E. Cummings - I've always loved that one but was worried H2B would find it too soppy, but I took a gamble and let him read it, and he loved it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics