Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner September 2014

Readings at civil ceremony

future.mrs.c, 1 of September of 2013 at 20:20 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi,

For those of you having/had readings, how did you decide which ones to have? Also who read them for you?

I was happy to just have the ceremony. But have been advised to have a reading to pad the ceremony out a bit, otherwise all over a bit quick. I'm clueless what to have?

Thanks

17 replies

Latest activity by lynd, 2 of September of 2013 at 20:47
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

We had Union by Robert Fulghum and an excerpt from Captain Corelli's Mandolin.

They were read by husband's dad and sister.

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

Me and Oh chose one reading each and we have asked friends to read them so that they can be involved in our wedding ;-)

We are having The Owl and the Pussycat and The Apache Wedding Blessing.

There are lots of websites with inspiration for wedding readings or you could use song lyrics that you like, etc.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Rather topically, we had a Seamus Heaney poem, read by my gruff Irish Uncle, just unbelievably perfect.

Then the Dinosaur one, a rather cutesy Edward Monkton effort, just asking for the Jackanory style and read beautifully (in perfect Jackanory style) by my teacher best bridesmaid friend.

We knew who we wanted and we worked it through - what would they feel right with, what would be their forte? But most importantly, what would make people cry? Smiley winking

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

We also had the cutesy dinosaur one read by my thespian bridesmaid- she read it as a performance and it really worked.

the other was called 'the promise' and was read by our best man.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

*thumbs up* It can be rocked or ruined. Nobody would pick someone to ruin it. I am now imagining a 'Poor Yorick' soliloquy......

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Alas there was no skulls involved. *sigh*

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Alas there was no skulls involved. *sigh*

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

We weren't going to have one, but Ant found one from the hitchhikers guide that was lovely. It was from so long and thanks for all the fish, when Arthur first meets fenchurch, his soul mate:

Except from So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish

Douglas Adams
    They looked at each other for a moment.
    The moment became a longer moment, and suddenly it was a very long moment, so long one could hardly tell where all the time was coming from.
    For Arthur, who could usually contrive to feel self-conscious if left alone for long enough with a Swiss Cheese plant, the moment was one of sustained revelation. He felt on the sudden like a cramped and zoo-born animal who awakes one morning to find the door to his cage hanging quietly open and the savannah stretching grey and pink to the distant rising sun, while all around new sounds are waking.
    He wondered what the new sounds were as he gazed at her openly wondering face and her eyes that smiled with a shared surprise.
    He hadn't realized that life speaks with a voice to you, a voice that brings you answers to the questions you continually ask of it, had never consciously detected it or recognized its tones till it now said something it had never said to him before, which was "Yes."

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Another one who had A Lovely Love Story (the dinosaur one), and it was read by my sister in law who pulled on a dinosaur costume in order to read it!

• S
    Beginner March 2014
    Sprollie ·
    • Hide content

We were given a booklet of pre-approved readings, romantic i know! But two of them were really appropriate, we have 2 best men so they will read one each either side of the vows. One best man will cry so he is going first!

• emjjarvy
    Beginner September 2014
    emjjarvy ·
    • Hide content

This is something I have been looking into as well. Is so hard to choose!! Below is something I found which I really like, but might not be everyone's cup of tea!

The Hands Ceremony – Author Unknown

Please face each other and take each other’s hands, so that you may see the gift that they are to you. These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow and forever. These are the hands that will work alongside yours as together you build your future.

These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch will comfort you like no other. These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief temporarily comes to you. These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes, tears of sorrow and tears of joy.

These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children, the hands that will join your family as one. These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it, support and encouragement to pursue your dreams, and comfort through difficult times.

And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

I liked the dinosaur reading. If we were going to have a reading, this is the closest I'd come to picking one. But I would have to remove the lines about shopping. I HATE shopping! ?

• F
    Beginner February 2014
    Follies123 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We having an extract from Captain Corelli's Madolin too and I love it :-) perfect for us x

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content

That was beautiful!! Had tears in my eyes reading this!! Am feeling slightly sensitive at the moment a I'm feeling massively overwhelmed by the whole wedding thing!!

• Sange!
    Beginner January 1997
    Sange! ·
    • Hide content

We had the Apache Prayer too; it was just perfect.

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

We are having two, one is a definite and the other is a toss up between another two.

Our definite is:

I Love You by Larry S. Chengges

I love you,

Not only for what you are,

But for what I am
    When I am with you.

I love you,

Not only for what
    You have made of yourself,
    But for what
    You are making of me.

I love you,

For the part of me
    That you bring out;

I love you,

For putting your hand
    Into my heaped-up heart
    And passing over
    All the foolish,

weak things
    That you can't help
    Dimly seeing there,

And for drawing out
    Into the light
    All the beautiful belongings
    That no one else had looked
    Quite far enough to find.

I love you,

Because you have done
    More than any creed
    Could have done
    To make me good.

And more than any fate
    Could have done
    To make me happy.

You have done it
    Without a touch
    Without a word,
    Without a sign.

You have done it
    By being yourself,

Perhaps that is what
    Being a friend means,

After All.

And the second one is a toss up between these two:

It’s not the beautiful bride
    Smiling so radiantly.
    It’s not the lovely bridesmaids
    Blushing so prettily.
    It’s not the handsome groom
    Dressed to look his best.
    It’s not the generous gifts
    Or the smartly turned out guests.
    It’s not the wedding day weather,
    Let’s hope it doesn’t rain.
    It’s not the friends and family
    That you each stand to gain.
    All of these things are important
    Each has its place and part.
    But what makes your wedding day special
    Is what’s inside your hearts.
    The love you have for one another
    Has its own personal mystique
    And it’s the bond you share together
    That makes your wedding day unique.
    OR

Marriage is love walking hand in hand together.

It's laughing with each other about silly little things,

and learning to discuss big things with care and tenderness.

In marriage, love is trusting each other when you're apart.

It's getting over disappointments and hurts,

knowing that these are present in all relationships. I

t's the realization that there is no one else in this world that you’d rather be with than the one you're married to.

It's thinking of new things to do together;

It's growing old together.

Marriage is being in love for the rest of your life.

• L
    Beginner January 2011
    lynd ·
    • Hide content

We had this one... very apt for 2nd marriages I think... and I love the last line.

'Maybe...We are supposed to meet the wrong people before meeting the right one so that, when we finally meet the right person, we will know how to be grateful for that gift

Maybe...it is true that we don't know what we have got until we lose it, but it is also true that we don't know what we have been missing until it arrives.

Maybe...the happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything that comes along their way.

Maybe...the best kind of love is the kind you can sit on a sofa together and never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had

Maybe...you shouldn't go for looks; they can deceive. Don't go for wealth; even that fades away. Go for someone who makes you smile, because it takes only a smile to make a dark day seem bright.

Maybe...you should hope for enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human, and enough hope to make you happy.

Maybe... Love is not about finding the perfect person, it's about learning to see an imperfect person perfectly

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics