Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

BridalButterfly2012
Beginner June 2012

Readings- Who chooses?

BridalButterfly2012, 14 of February of 2012 at 12:12 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi all,

This may seem like something i should know the answer to but i was not thinking of having readings as family haven't offered etc but my OH's usher has said he will do one. Thing is although we are getting married in a church and do believe on the same hand we are not massively religious and i don't want anything too much like that. We are keeping the ceremony quite short coz of timings and not wanting the whole fuss. Not a problem i hear you say. Well my OH's usher is very religious and had a massively religious wedding ceremony with really long and religious readings. Now i am made up he has offered to do a reading but is it bad if we choose it? What shall i do?

Thanks x

9 replies

Latest activity by BridalButterfly2012, 14 of February of 2012 at 17:05
  • princesssaraht
    Beginner December 2012
    princesssaraht ·
    • Hide content

Of course you can choose it! Although he may have some suggestions of nice ones too, so pick a few, have a chat and see if you can come to an agreement

• teapotty
    Beginner October 2013
    teapotty ·
    • Hide content

I'd tell him you would love him to do one but just let him know that it can;t be too long as you are only having a short ceremony. He sounds like he may know a few different ones already so he should have a short one to pick out.

It's really nice that he has offered Smiley smile

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies. Yeah i am really grateful he has offered i just don't want anything long winded. Think i will look a few up and get OH to list them and get him to list the ones he wants to do and meet in the middle.

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

Some of the most common readings are listed on the CofE website: https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/your-wedding/readings.aspx

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Liverbird yeeh i have that page bookmarked so will print a few off i think and show OH and see what he thinks.

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

I am a control freak - so we are telling peiople what we would like them to read - but if they had a fantastic idea for a reading that really fits us then we would consider it of course, and if they didn't feel comfortable reading what we asked then we would change it too.

OHs mum is doing one reading and as soon as we asked her she went straight online and started emailing readings to us... but they are all the bog standard, slightly mushy or preachy wedding readings - and whilst the sentiment is nice, they just aren't us. We are not a mushy couple...

So i think there is lots of scope to guide his choice, but he may have an idea of perfect peice for you, so i wouldn't rule his suggestions out. And you do have a good reason for saying no to his suggestions if they are too long for your tastes if your timings are tight.

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

We're choosing all of our readings - we wanted them to reflect us and our feelings and the way to guarantee that was for us to choose them. It never crossed my mind to let others choose them! Maybe that makes me a control freak!

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

We had 2 readings 1 was a poem that Mr T's mum wrote about how we met and our time together and the second my dad read - he chose it, but ran it by me first of all.

If you want to say what your friend reads then do. Remember he had his wedding the way that he wanted so now it is your turn to have yours the way you want.

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

hehe, the first step is to accept the issue ;o) 'control freak' probably sounds more negative than I mean it!

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies i feel better now and will meet him half way. I will get him to email OH with what he chooses or may just choose one and email it to him.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics