Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynseys Designs
Beginner

Real Bride V Models

Lynseys Designs, 24 April, 2011 at 23:15 Posted on Planning 0 58

Especially to show Lauren that real brides look better lets get showing off your lovely wedding gowns on you and then on the model.

Me with other Hitchers

and the model

58 replies

Latest activity by Little Madam, 27 April, 2011 at 10:39
  • NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

Can't wait to be able to do this! I have a few weeks yet before I get to try on my dress for the fittings so will take pics then and hunt down this thread again!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Kerri you look so different now, don't know why but I wouldn't have recognised you from your wedding pics.

• tmr1234
    Beginner June 2011
    tmr1234 ·
    • Hide content

Model

Mine i think mine looks better on the model

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It really, really doesn't. She's either painfully thin or has been photoshopped to look painfully thin. Either way she doesn't look healthy or happy, and I always think that really ruins a dress. The shape and detail on it really complements your figure!

Mine on the model:

Aaaaaand on me at my first fitting (please pardon the rubbish quality photo as it's off my phone!). Give me 3 1/2 weeks and I'll have some MUCH nicer pics for you ?

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The thing with this image is it's been obviously stretched and taken in around the hips. If you notice there is a slight difference around the waist on either side. The side where the models hand has her fingers showing was easier to take in than the other side and the weakness of the photo editor who retouched the image is showing.

It's also a slight illusion too as because the bottom of the dress isn't fully in view, coupled with the models long hair and earrings it misleads the eye.

She also isn't flat against that wall, perhaps 1ft away from it. She's resting her bum against the wall (which is why she is buckled forward so severely around her shoulders). This pushes the center of the dress away rom your view making it smaller in the middle. By pushing her shoulders forward it also makes her look slimmer and taller.

It's all a lie! ?

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

This is why I really loved shopping for plus sized dresses. Ok so the models are still airbrushed to smooth out lumps and bumps and make them look all glowy, but at least they're not trying to look slimmer than they really are. I saw one dress modelled on a plus size model, and then again on a conventionally sized one, and it really looked so much nicer on the bigger girl!

I am not a fan of the fashion industry and its preoccupation with skeletal women!

• FutureMrsWilson
    Beginner January 2010
    FutureMrsWilson ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love, love, LOVE that!

I haven't chosen a dress yet. Still a lot of weight to shift, but I'll save the model photo of the one I want for when the time comes!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I faithfully promise I am not obsessed with this issue, but I have a hurty back and am confined to the sofa anyway, so decided to scan in the pic from my bridal mag of the 'thin' dress and then compare it to the same dress in plus size. Any minute now, I'm going to get a life instead, haha!

Same dress, modelled by two very different looking women and looking almost like two different gowns altogether. I saw the first pic in a bridal mag last year, went to the Veromia website where they only had the plus size model photo and had to go back and forth between the two pictures because I wasn't 100% that it was the same dress. Both ladies look absolutely lovely in it (although I very personally think that the second photo does the dress more justice, and not just because of my dodgy scanner ruining the first one!).

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Ooh OK why not.

I think mine looks better the way it is posed on the model (and not just the face!)

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

I really didnt rate mine on the model and didnt realise it was the same dress when I fell in love with it

model

Dont know why the photo keeps inserting the wrong way round but you get the idea!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Thank you, you have made my day!!! ?

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

Here's a picture of a model in my dress:

I wish models of all sizes were photographed in wedding dresses - it would give us B2B's an easier time when looking.

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

And bridal shops NEVER stock size 8 dresses so they all look absolutely huge on me as the "normal" stocked size is 12/14....

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

But think of the cost of doing that! So therefore we'd have less choice in the shops... It's a difficult issue

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I feel pretty bad for bridal shops since I found out that it costs them an absolute fortune to buy the sample dresses in, and then they're dead stock. At best they'll be sold at ex-sample sales for a fraction of the price the store bought them for. And imagine the insurance! The shop I bought my dress from had about 100 gowns in there, with average price of £1100. Then they had bridesmaids dresses, shoes, jewellery - I don't even want to consider the total value of their stock!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Naboo, on the model the dress looks frumpy and she looks like she is wearing an old sack. On you it looks AmaZing. ?

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Bear in mind though it doesn't fit me at this point!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That was my exact thought too.....

Peter

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

I think even if the designers had the bottle to publish photos of their dresses on models that are a size eight and then every other size going up to the maximum size it comes in it would help B2B's. For example 8,12,16,20 etc. At least we could have an idea how the dress looks, even if our body was a different shape to the model's.

• Tracey86
    Beginner October 2012
    Tracey86 ·
    • Hide content

I really really like this thread! I've not been dress shopping yet but this thread is making me feel much better about going- I'm a big girl and feeling a bit scared of the experience to be honest. I can't believe how much better the dresses look on real women- you all look fabulous! x

• Lauren25
    Beginner July 2011
    Lauren25 ·
    • Hide content

Great thread!!!

Thanks Lynsey for starting that one - They ALL look better on the real brides IMO.

I do feel better about my dress and think it will look better on me! ? *my very own trumpet blown here* x

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

This is mine on the model

and on me

It wasnt done up properly at the back so will be a bit more fitted.

• happy_feet
    Beginner
    happy_feet ·
    • Hide content

This is mine

See now I think it's spot the difference between me and the model ?

• happy_feet
    Beginner
    happy_feet ·
    • Hide content

Haha sorted it!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Mine was discontinued and they re-shot all the later dresses for a website relaunch so the original photo of mine doesn't exist (I even emailed the designer!!!)

This is the closest match to the same style on the designers website...

And this is me...

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS precisely!! xx

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS! I was just going to say, Naboo, on the model it looks like she's wearing a nightgown, whereas on you it looks divine!!!

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content

Until I lose more weight I maintain that on the model it looks better:

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Here is mine on the model...

And me (Sample dress is battered btw!)

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have had huge dress wobbles as my dress sample was a 14 and I swear for a 6 footer ! I am a 10 and 5'5". I hate the pics I took on my phone and I have been twitched ever since ! I went back to another store and tried it and the lady pinned up the shoulders aswell as the waist and I felt a bit better but no photos. But I guess if they can only stock on dress in makes sense to stock something in the middle ground ?

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

For the record I think the all look worse on the model ! And actually in some instances a completely different dress !

• N
    Beginner April 2011
    nat2683 ·
    • Hide content

What a good thread!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics