Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Curious May 2024 Essex

Real or artifical flowers? Help please :)

Msc, 17 of April of 2023 at 20:13 Posted on Planning 1 16
Looking for advice, so many people have recommended artifical or even dried flowers, rather than "real" flowers. Thoughts please? Looking to save some £££ as everything is mounting up of course!

Thank you.

16 replies

Latest activity by MrsM2B, 27 of April of 2023 at 13:19
  • S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    Hello. My sister had artificial flowers which were actually from the range. She tied a little piece of twine around it and a brooch and it was beautiful. We are having real flowers which my MIL is doing for us and the tables. She’s growing them herself. Would growing your own be something you could do? I refuse to pay £££ for flowers. I know it’s a talent but not something I particularly spend money on in everyday life so won’t do it for our big day.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It's totally up to you. If you don't like the idea of dried or fake flowers, you can look at ways of cutting down the cost of fresh flowers - some ideas I've seen at weddings -one large flower (rose, calla lily, sunflower) with a ribbon tied round the stem, or a bunch of supermarket flowers in a single colour with foil round the stem. I've also seen brides who bought a pre-arranged bouquet from a supermarket and just taken the cellophane wrapping off it.

You can DIY flowers for the reception - or just go without.

Or do a mix. I had a professional bouquet for me and a buttonhole for my OH and the ceremony flowers were DIYed by a local couple who were keen gardeners. But I love flowers, having fresh ones were important to me and I reckoned it would the only time in my life I got to choose a bouquet for myself! I was happy to cut back on other things to have my flowers - if they are not so important to you, then cut back and spend the money on what matters to you.

• M
    Curious May 2024 Essex
    Msc ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, I love flowers too, but the cost... I am going to look into it further. Thank you.
  • M
    Curious May 2024 Essex
    Msc ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yours sound beautiful Smiley smile
    My mum is very creative so I may ask her to help with the decorations etc.
    Thank you x
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Something else that will keep the cost down is having a 'florist's choice' bouquet - just specifying the general colours and theme you are wanting and allowing the florist to make up a bouquet based on the cheapest flowers that are available on the day. If you have specific requirements, especially if they are out-of-season flowers, it can really push the price up.

• J
    Savvy April 2024 West London
    Joanna ·
    • Hide content
    You don't need a huge bunch. Try a couple of stunning flowers and the rest greenery. Eucalyptus is lovely
  • Laurie
    Savvy May 2024 Lothian & Borders
    Laurie ·
    • Hide content

Can I ask where do people get dried flowers? I know nothing about flowers, but dried flowers was something that was recommended to me.

• S
    Beginner July 2023 Worcestershire
    Stacey ·
    • Hide content
    My mum had artificial bouquet and it was used as a decoration in our house for years afterwards and I have decided to do the same so we have a memento of our big day. Also we go on honeymoon a day after the wedding and seems a waste to spend money on flowers we aren't going to enjoy
  • M
    Curious May 2024 Essex
    Msc ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a good idea thank you x
  • M
    Curious May 2024 Essex
    Msc ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes totally understand that.
    I'm hearing so much about artifical I'm going to look into them x
  • C
    Savvy October 2024 Kent
    Crystal ·
    • Hide content
    Libby’s Buttonholes on FB is where I’m ordering from. Very reasonably priced artificial flowers have a look xx
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

Look at artificial florists who can work with you and your vision - mine's great! We talk about my theme and my vibe, my favourite flowers, what work best as artificial because they look the most natural etc. Still 1/4 of the price of real!

• K
    Beginner February 2024 Tyne & Wear
    Kim ·
    • Hide content
    I have gone for dried flowers from Florence and Flowers. At present for my bouquet, 2 bridesmaids/moh bouquets and a flower girl headpiece it’s around £180 incl postage
  • Jayne
    Beginner July 2024 Hertfordshire
    Jayne ·
    • Hide content
    I’m going for fake flowers - we’ve got some fairly young bridesmaids so made this decision mostly based on the fact they might be a bit harder wearing than really flowers and last longer! Plus it’s a nice keepsake from the day, I had fake flowers as a bridesmaid a couple of years ago and they still sit on my dressing table looking pretty!
  • M
    Curious May 2024 Essex
    Msc ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Smiley smile alot of people are doing this it seems.
  • M
    Dedicated October 2023 Greater Manchester
    MrsM2B ·
    • Hide content
    I’m going for artificial. My mums best friend used to be a florist and did artificial bouquets for my sisters wedding last year and they were lovely so I’ve asked her to do the same for me. There is a a wholesaler near us called Country Baskets so we’ve got them from there. x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics