Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erin8
Beginner June 2014

Realistic weight loss for wedding dress?

Erin8, 5 September, 2012 at 22:09 Posted on Planning 0 16

I have found a gorgeous dress that l like and is a great price. The only problem is it is too small for me by about 2-3 inches for all of the different measurement. Is it realistic to loss weight to make it fit or am l being too ambitious? I am great at exercise but not so good at watching what l eat if l am honest.... I don't even know how much weight l would have to lose, 1-1.5 stones?

16 replies

Latest activity by Selenalee69, 6 September, 2012 at 12:43
  • V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to be blunt but are you overweight? If you're around a 14-16+ then yes it's reasonable to lose weight to make the dress fit. However, if you're small anyway then it might be that your physical body structure won't be able to change enough to make it fit.

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

A second vote here for circuit training, I lost 1.5 stone by eating healthy and mixing my workouts as cardio on its own is no use. Circuits was varied and worked me a lot harder, I'd also recommend body pump as its pure weights, working your muscles burns more calories and keeps your metabolism going for longer after you've worked out. Diet wise I cut out alcohol and takeaways and tired to eat more protein rich foods such as fish and meat (with veg). it was very hard at first but once you break that barrier its easy as you have a goal, your dress.

Dieting is not easy,you really have to work at it but you have to find a manageable way of doing it. perhaps make a weekly menu, cook from scratch, cut down on carbs combined with an excerise program you will reach your goal.

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

It also depends on the dress style- the lady at the dress shop I went to today said that if I saw a dress I wanted in their discount range but it was too small,that they can adapt it and put a corset back in to make it fit with an extra panel- it's amazing what they can do !

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I am slightly overweight -l am 5'7 and weigh about 10.5 stone. To be honest l have been concious that l have been putting weight on for a while so this is the kick up the bum. The more l think about it the more l think l wouldn't be able to lose 2-3 inches off my bust. So l think it is a bigger dress, more running and less snacks for me! Thanks for your advice everyone.

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

If it helps I am 5'7 and weighed 10.5 stone, I got down to 8.10 stone which admittidly was a bit too much but I lost it of my bust first, went from a comfy 36C to a 34B. I've now carried over some of my eating and fitness habits and stabilised at 9.5 stone, if someone had told me I'd get down to under 9 stone I'd have laughed in their face but I set realistic targets of half a stone at a time.

Im sure you'll be fine, just need a good start as once you lose the first few pounds it spurs you on.

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

Oh my god that's depressing....I'm 5ft7 and weigh 11st 5lbs :-( At my lightest I was 9st 13lb, I'm praying you ladies have lovely willowy frames & I can blame my broad shoulders on the weight difference!

• LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

Another vote that 5ft 7 n 10 and a half stone is not 'overweight'!

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

5ft7 and 10.5 stone is not overweight! That gives you a perfectly healthy BMI. I would say you would struggle to lose 2-3 inces, you must be an 8-10 already? I'm 5ft5 and 10.5 stone and a 10-12.

Sorry if that's blunt, but you asked for honest opinions, and I think you'll struggle to lose that at already healthy weight.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I used to be very thin -e.g. 8.5 stone so l am always a bit harsh on myself! I have had a think about it over night and l think l need to find another dress. I think l could realistically lose 0.5-1.0 stone but that is unlikely to be enough. We are getting married in Vegas so l don't want to be all hot and tight in my dress.

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

If you really love the dress could you not find the dress somewhere else? Alot of people on her reccomend PreLoved.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I lost 15 pounds just with Slimming World, no exercise. When I started looking for a dress, I was a 10 on top and a large 12/small 14 on the bottom. The sample dress I bought was an 8. As it was a corset back, it did fit on the top and I could tell that I needed to lose about 3 inches around my hips and bum for it to fit. Because I'm tall (only an inch taller than you though) I always looked slim, even at my biggest, and people kept telling me I didn't need to lose weight.

I bought the dress because it was a good price. I didn't have a choice - I was going to fit into it. I wasn't going to buy another one. If I wanted to fit into it, I had to do the work.

We started Slimming World a year before the wedding. Followed it well during the week but barely at all on weekends, when we went away or over Christmas.

Only you know if you have the discipline to do it.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

How depressing, I'm only 5'5" and 12 stone [:'(]

• H
    Beginner September 2012
    hp1986 ·
    • Hide content

Agree that being 5'7" and 10.5st isn't overweight!! I think you'd struggle to lose 1.5stone if you are already pretty normal sized by those measurements?! If you lose 1.5stone you would then be clinically underweight?!

Although weight loss tips - I am 5'7" and have lost a stone through weight watchers - now weigh 10st & am smack dab in the middle of the healthy BMI range...

• BadgerBeetle
    Beginner November 2012
    BadgerBeetle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey, I lost 3 stone for my wedding dress (which was 4-5 inches too small when i first tried it on at the start of the year). If you put your mind to it 1.5 stones should be more than achievable Smiley smile xx

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the other Hitchers- you are a perfect weight for your height ! I am 5ft 6 and weigh 11 st 10, my goal weight for my height is 10st 7 and you are already that weight,and 1 inch taller which probably makes you a size 10. I am a size 14 and although I'd ideally like to be a 12, when I tried on a dress yesterday in a size 14 I thought I looked bloody amazing,lol ! Don't be so hard on yourself, you are going to look fabulous x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics