Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

FrankeeDoodles
Beginner April 2016

Reasonable price for a DJ??

FrankeeDoodles, 1 of November of 2014 at 16:21 Posted on Planning 0 8

So I've been looking into getting a DJ for the evening, and have had quotes by one company and an independent DJ. The company has amazing lighting effects, does a personalised spotlight for the wall or floor with your names and the date in it, and has mood lighting for the whole room in your colour scheme, so ours is blue. They have really good reviews! The independent DJ is a DJ from a radio station, he has been recommended to us multiple times by different people at wedding fayres, people say he is brilliant at getting everyone up and dancing. Both have quoted £499 for the evening so from 8pm to midnight. My question is, how much are others spending on their DJ? I really have no idea what is a reasonable price and what isn't! I thought that was very expensive, but my fiancee thinks that the company is worth it for all the lighting to really get a party atmosphere going. Out of all his family, we are the last to get married, his brother and cousins all got married over the past few years and so there has been traditions that have gradually begun from these weddings like having the same last song played, and just having an amazing party really. We considered their DJs but each of them had aspects we didn't think were that great, so the company with the lighting is what's appealing to us right now. So yeah, sorry I'm rambling on! I just don't really have a clue whether that's a decent price or if I should keep looking! So any advice would be greatly appreciated! Smiley smile

8 replies

Latest activity by InkedDoll, 4 of November of 2014 at 15:01
  • Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

Sounds extortionate to me! We're paying £150. The most expensive quote we had was £300.

• FrankeeDoodles
    Beginner April 2016
    FrankeeDoodles ·
    • Hide content

That's what I thought. Here's the website, there is a lot included in the package so its not just a DJ. We would be having the silver package which is £495. What do you think? Do you think we could get a similar package cheaper elsewhere?

http://www.partydexx.co.uk/our-service/

• Superhanka
    Beginner December 2014
    Superhanka ·
    • Hide content

We're paying £450 for our DJ, plus an extra £150 for a lighting technician to do strobes, lasers etc. Might sound tacky and expensive but we're big ravers, as are most of our friends, therefore we don't mind splashing out more on the entertainment. We want to put on a great party, and for me, music and lighting is a big part of that.

Bearing in mind we were quoted anything from 1k-2k for a band, I think we're getting a good deal, plus a DJ is more up our street.

Personally I wouldn't scrimp on a DJ. At a friends recent wedding the DJ was so bad she pulled the plug before the end of the night, it was such a shame as everyone loves a good dance at a wedding.

It depends what area of the country you are too, I guess.

• FrankeeDoodles
    Beginner April 2016
    FrankeeDoodles ·
    • Hide content

Same as us, most of our friends and family love a good party! This is the thing, we get lighting etc all included so maybe its not a bad price really? Have just emailed them again to see if they still have our date free and ask how much deposit they need Smiley smile

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Last time I hired a DJ was 9 years ago nearly and he charged £60 but I got a discount for knowing the family and only paid £20 lol guess the world got more expensive

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

We were quoted approx £600 I think, which included uplighters. Generally speaking, from experience working as a photographer the more expensive DJs we work with tend to be better at creating an atmosphere, at keeping people on the dance floor, reading the crowd and that kind of thing. The lighting tends to be better too.

Lighting was a huge deal to us as we wanted it to be as good as it could be for photos. We were actively looking for someone with a great lighting set up and not someone who was using party style lighting that would leave us covered head to toe in funny coloured dots.

Personally I don't think that's a bad price at all for a good DJ. But again it depends on what you're after. If you want the great lighting set up too, I think the quote is reasonable.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    Clairebo ·
    • Hide content

Our dj is £250 plus £100 for 10 room uplighters which make the room look amazing. He also does all the fancy patterns on walls with lights which I may add on nearer the wedding IF we have any budget left Smiley winking He will play any music we want, just have to give him a playlist and obviously we will take his lead as to which songs r floor fillers x

• FrankeeDoodles
    Beginner April 2016
    FrankeeDoodles ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys! We have decided to book the company Party Dexx, like some of you said the lighting was something important to us too for photos etc so the package includes full uplighting/moodlighting in our choice of colour plus a personalised spotlight with our names Smiley smile They have been excellent already. Thank you for all your advice! x

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just a tad! My H2B is a DJ and he normally gets £100 for a club night. So far the only weddings he's done have been for friends so he's done it for free as a gift, but he does intend to set himself up properly to do weddings (and maybe as a HIB) after our wedding, and he'll be looking at a £200 sort of region. That's not with any fancy lighting though!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics